The Student Room Group

Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ellipsis...
I don't know much about kings reputation but I know Leicester is good (russel group etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leicester is not part of Russell Group (not making a judgement on the uni, just stating a fact. Don't think it makes any difference when it comes to Medicine if they are in Russell Group or not)
Hey guys, I'm a first year med student at Leicester, let me know if you've got any questions about applying!
Also I'm writing a blog about my time at Leicester if you're interested :smile:
http://maycausesideeffects.wordpress.com/
Good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Is there a separate cut off for graduates applying to A100?

I have a score of 57..my chances here don't look very promising.
Original post by ExplosivePenguin
Hi, I was just wondering whether Leicester look at your all your GCSE and A-Level grades at all, or just look at the score as a result of them.
I got 11A*s at GCSE and 3A's and a B (English) at AS, predicited 3A*s at A2. I got 2820 in my UKCAT so that's a score of 61/68 which is reasonable.
It's between leicester or lancaster, my other uni's are Cambridge, Birmingham and Nottingham, leicester is kinda my 3rd/4th choice. I definitely would prefer leicester over lancaster though if possible as i prefer the city and the more lecture based course.
My personal statement isn't fantastic
So yeah, just wanted to know if i would have a good chance if i apply?
Thank you!

Yes those are very good academics so I'd say you have a good chance at getting an interview, however the process is a little different to last year so I can't guarantee it. Leicester is a great city and everyone's really friendly, plus we get free iPads which is good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PAT330
Is there a separate cut off for graduates applying to A100?

I have a score of 57..my chances here don't look very promising.

The cut off will be the same for all applicants to the A100 course. The best thing do to is apply strategically to places where you are likely to get an interview, but if you really like Leicester apply anyway, just make sure you have some safer options as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Yeah I reckon so. The cut off last year was 57/58 I think and UKCAT has apparently gone down so you seem in pretty good stead

Posted from TSR Mobile

HELP! I really liked Leicester at the open day but a couple of med students suggested it wasn't very good for Emergency Medicine. Is this true (at the moment that is what I am interested in!)

Also my score gives me 62 points. Is this enough? Or am I better off trying for Nottingham (I have 5 A*, 4 As, B at GCSE, 4 As at AS and A* AAA pred. UKCAT 727.5. SJ 1. (55 I think for Notts)
Original post by Flybynight18
HELP! I really liked Leicester at the open day but a couple of med students suggested it wasn't very good for Emergency Medicine. Is this true (at the moment that is what I am interested in!)

Also my score gives me 62 points. Is this enough? Or am I better off trying for Nottingham (I have 5 A*, 4 As, B at GCSE, 4 As at AS and A* AAA pred. UKCAT 727.5. SJ 1. (55 I think for Notts)

Sorry that's 48 points for Notts
Reply 87

Sorry that's 48 points for Notts

I don't think you should take the students' opinion into account - I'm pretty sure that you'll change your mind by the time you finish med school as to whether or not you want to pursue emergency medicine. Even if you don't change your mind, hospitals/employers will not discriminate against you on the basis that the university that you attended wasn't "good enough for this department (emergency medicine)".

You stand a good chance at both Leicester and Nottingham, however, you've also got to consider the fact that Nottingham will assess your PS if you pass the academic/UKCAT cutoff (whilst Leicester will not assess your PS at any point in the application cycle). Do you think that your PS will be good enough to secure an interview at Notts?
Original post by Mehhhh
I don't think you should take the students' opinion into account - I'm pretty sure that you'll change your mind by the time you finish med school as to whether or not you want to pursue emergency medicine. Even if you don't change your mind, hospitals/employers will not discriminate against you on the basis that the university that you attended wasn't "good enough for this department (emergency medicine)".

You stand a good chance at both Leicester and Nottingham, however, you've also got to consider the fact that Nottingham will assess your PS if you pass the academic/UKCAT cutoff (whilst Leicester will not assess your PS at any point in the application cycle). Do you think that your PS will be good enough to secure an interview at Notts?

Thank you for that! Yes, I think my PS is poss one of my strongest assets. I really liked Leicester and haven't visited Nottingham. Both courses appear similar (integrated) which I want. Which do you think gives me the best chance of an interview ?
Reply 89
Thank you for that! Yes, I think my PS is poss one of my strongest assets. I really liked Leicester and haven't visited Nottingham. Both courses appear similar (integrated) which I want. Which do you think gives me the best chance of an interview ?

Hmmm, I'd go with Leicester. I'd avoid PS-assessing unis as much as you can (selection is too subjective) :smile:
Reply 90
Hi,

Do leicester add any points for extended project? I got an a* in it so please let me know please if they do. My current score is 57.5 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any graduates In this post looking to apply to the A101 course?

The scoring system is out of 25 (you can calculate) I think, with a score out of 10 for your personal statement (which you can't work out)

Does anyone know of what cutoffs were for interview at Leicester A101 last year?

The A101 course doesn't seem to focus much on UKCAT which is good cos I flanked a bit, but it's a score out of 10. (2500= 5 2600 = 6 etc). The focus seems to be on the work experience you've done, especially paid within the last year. And other credentials too.

Does ANYONE have any info at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a re-applicant. Using Leicester's in house score, i get 34/34 for academics and 27/34 for UKCAT (685 Band 1) giving an overall score of 61/68. Will this be enough? Any ideas?
Original post by Kookiekan
I am a re-applicant. Using Leicester's in house score, i get 34/34 for academics and 27/34 for UKCAT (685 Band 1) giving an overall score of 61/68. Will this be enough? Any ideas?

Is that for the A100 course? You taking a gap year?

Does anyone on this thread know about A101 cut offs? Or know about a thread for A101?
Original post by HCAssistant93
Is that for the A100 course? You taking a gap year?

Does anyone on this thread know about A101 cut offs? Or know about a thread for A101?

Yes, Im on a gap year and will be applying to the A100 course.
Anyone know about leceister A101 or a link me to a thread?
Reply 96
Hi could some one please advice me on whether I should I apply to Leicester.

GCSE
maths A
English B
Biology A
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
ICT A*
Welsh A*
Geography A
French A

Alevel predicted grades AAAb (as-BBBC)
UKCAT 617.5 band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by F9medic
Hi could some one please advice me on whether I should I apply to Leicester.

GCSE
maths A
English B
Biology A
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
ICT A*
Welsh A*
Geography A
French A

Alevel predicted grades AAAb (as-BBBC)
UKCAT 617.5 band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, unfortunately your score will not be competitive. You will be up against people who have more points than you for GCSE, more points for AS and more at UKCAT, sorry.
Reply 98
Although I have 10A* at gcse I also have an A in e lang so would lose a point there. I also have an A in f maths at As which they don't count😡 so another lost point! In total I have 59 - is this way too low?
Original post by Ben4444
Although I have 10A* at gcse I also have an A in e lang so would lose a point there. I also have an A in f maths at As which they don't count������ so another lost point! In total I have 59 - is this way too low?

nope i think thats good enough, everyone this year seems to be applying with around 57/58+ and the highest i've heard is 63

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending