The Student Room Group

Which uni helps more with application to Oxford?

Hi guys,

I'm applying to Oxford to study PPE this fall, but I've got to decide at which university to spend this academic year; At University of Nottingham Ningbo, in China studying "International Economics and Trade" or at Copenhagen business school studying "Business Administration and Sociology".

Which one of the options do you think would help me most with my application? Nottingham Ningbo is obviously more academic, as well as the course there, but there's little information on reputation. Also could going to Ningbo be seen as a "couldn't get anywhere else, so went to Nottingham Ningbo"-thing, and would that be bad for the application? And Copenhagen Business School is the best business school in Denmark, but not very academic and the course is half business half sociology.
And I'm from Finland btw.

Thanks for help
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
It's extremely unlikely to make any difference to the outcome of your application. One advantage of being in Denmark is that you could more easily come to Oxford for interview, so I guess that's something in Copenhagen's favour. Go wherever you'd prefer to spend the year.
Reply 2
Thanks for the answer, but to dig a bit deeper:

Do you think they wouldn't appreciate the eye-opening experience of living in China, a society completely different to ours, as the course I'm applying to is social sciences and philosophy (PPE), to which the experience could give a new perspective, at least to get me an interview? It's just all I've heard about such international experience being appreciated and setting apart from other applicants at Harvard (,which obviously has nothing to do with Oxford, but still).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Unilad321
Thanks for the answer, but to dig a bit deeper:

Do you think they wouldn't appreciate the eye-opening experience of living in China, a society completely different to ours, as the course I'm applying to is social sciences and philosophy (PPE), to which the experience could give a new perspective, at least to get me an interview? It's just all I've heard about such international experience being appreciated and setting apart from other applicants at Harvard (,which obviously has nothing to do with Oxford, but still).

No, I don't think it'll make the slightest bit of difference. UK and US admissions processes are very different, after all.
Reply 4
Okay, I just wanted to make sure, as I've had 2 unwanted gap years because of unfortunate circumstances and don't want to miss the chance by looking like I don't care much about studying etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending