The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Societies and sports clubs

Hi all! I don't think I'm alone in looking through all the societies and sports clubs available at York since I'll be there at the end of the month. I just wanted to open a bit of a chat about what clubs everyone else is interested in joining!

I like the look of the drama society and the movie society; as for sports clubs I'd really like to take up some kind of martial arts, but I also like the sound of the caving society and riding lessons (although that's probably too expensive for me anyway :colondollar:). This is on top of wanting to take up guitar lessons, an LFA course in French, and maybe a part time job... obviously not feasible to do it all! Fresher's fair is going to be interesting :tongue:

How about everyone else??
Reply 1
Hey I wanted to take up riding in York as well :smile: I have also been looking at dancing.
As for other societies, I am a politics with IR student so I thought maybe United Nations, debating or think tank.
I love singing as well, but don't know if I want to pursue it at York...

You are going to be a busy bee! haha. What do you want to join the most?
University of York
York
Hoping to join the Lacrosse team and also Conservative society :biggrin: I'm automatically part of the PEP society as well so I'm going to try and keep up with that too!

I've got a part time job at the moment, and it's going to be a little bit of a squeeze fitting in everything but I think it'll be fine if I manage my time right! I'm a postgraduate, but I seriously screwed up with societies in my undergraduate so I'm going to get super involved this year!
Reply 3
Original post by Meltem
Hey I wanted to take up riding in York as well :smile: I have also been looking at dancing.
As for other societies, I am a politics with IR student so I thought maybe United Nations, debating or think tank.
I love singing as well, but don't know if I want to pursue it at York...

You are going to be a busy bee! haha. What do you want to join the most?

That sounds pretty good! £20 for a single riding lesson is a bit steep though, I've got a budget to stick to, so that's probably out of the picture for me :frown:

At least you've got a manageable number there, and they're pretty varied. I've read future employers like people who've been involved in debating clubs :smile:

I think my first priority is drama society, not sure why since I've never really done any acting, but I know I won't be happy until I've given it a go :biggrin: unfortunately it's also super involved, there's a lot of things scheduled each week for it. If I do end up involved with drama, anything else I want to join is going to have to fit around it I reckon...
Reply 4
Original post by mellie220
Hoping to join the Lacrosse team and also Conservative society :biggrin: I'm automatically part of the PEP society as well so I'm going to try and keep up with that too!

I've got a part time job at the moment, and it's going to be a little bit of a squeeze fitting in everything but I think it'll be fine if I manage my time right! I'm a postgraduate, but I seriously screwed up with societies in my undergraduate so I'm going to get super involved this year!

I'm doing English Lit, but I'm not sure about joining the society for it... I think when it comes to reading I'll probably have hit my limit with uni work to have it as an extra-curricular as well! :tongue:
Original post by fevvers72
I'm doing English Lit, but I'm not sure about joining the society for it... I think when it comes to reading I'll probably have hit my limit with uni work to have it as an extra-curricular as well! :tongue:

Haha yeah, I say it now, but when it comes to it I doubt I'll probably get too involved with it :P Although I did see they have a yearly trip to Amsterdam :colone:
Might be useful for a few open lectures, but considering the amount of work I'll have I doubt I'll want to voluntarily do even more on PPE :tongue:
I'm definitely going to go to the Doctor Who Society. I'm a massive Whovian so it's the perfect society for me.

As for sports clubs, I'm not really a sporty person. The only one I wouldn't mind giving a go is the Riding Club. Never ridden a horse before, though and I really don't want to pay a load of money for something I may not enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest