The Student Room Group

Question about using your own supplier

Hey everyone, recently told I have to use a DSA-approved supplier for equipment. The only issue is that the equipment that they offer is relatively outdated and very expensive. I was wondering if it would be allowable for me to use my own supplier.

One instance might be a laptop, that is approved by DSA but instead of buying from a supplier, I am buying directly from the manufacturer at a much lower cost than the DSA supplier can offer.

So is it essential that I only use a DSA-approved supplier? Because it seems strange that I would be wasting money that others have paid towards when there are other, cheaper options available. Thank you very much for any feedback that you might have.
You must use contracted suppliers.
Reply 2
DSA suppliers buy direct from manufacturers and laptops etc are supplied zero rated for VAT, so don't forget to add VAT to any price you are quoted. You must also have adequate insurance and warranty for the duration of your course as student finance will not fund any repairs or replacements. All in, I doubt you can get an equivalent price let alone lower.

It is possible to use your own supplier but you must ensure all the equipment, support and software is included in any quotes and then these must be submitted to SFE to get their permission before you do anything. Otherwise they will not agree to fund or refund anything. Often its such a difficult process to do its not worth it.
Reply 3
Original post by NJones
DSA suppliers buy direct from manufacturers and laptops etc are supplied zero rated for VAT, so don't forget to add VAT to any price you are quoted. You must also have adequate insurance and warranty for the duration of your course as student finance will not fund any repairs or replacements. All in, I doubt you can get an equivalent price let alone lower.

It is possible to use your own supplier but you must ensure all the equipment, support and software is included in any quotes and then these must be submitted to SFE to get their permission before you do anything. Otherwise they will not agree to fund or refund anything. Often its such a difficult process to do its not worth it.

What't the chances of actually being able to do this?

I have my eyes on a windows laptop, with twice the spec for the same price WITH 3 year warranty and all for LESS then a macbook pro they put me down for.

What can i do>< cheers
Original post by Perinced
Hey everyone, recently told I have to use a DSA-approved supplier for equipment. The only issue is that the equipment that they offer is relatively outdated and very expensive. I was wondering if it would be allowable for me to use my own supplier.

One instance might be a laptop, that is approved by DSA but instead of buying from a supplier, I am buying directly from the manufacturer at a much lower cost than the DSA supplier can offer.

So is it essential that I only use a DSA-approved supplier? Because it seems strange that I would be wasting money that others have paid towards when there are other, cheaper options available. Thank you very much for any feedback that you might have.

Why bother?
You don't pocket any savings made, even if you do save DSA some money.
Reply 5
Original post by TedFred81
What't the chances of actually being able to do this?

I have my eyes on a windows laptop, with twice the spec for the same price WITH 3 year warranty and all for LESS then a macbook pro they put me down for.

What can i do>< cheers

If your course can be completed on a Windows machine, then an Apple machine should not have been recommended. This is just cashing in at the taxpayers expense and is why DSA is being reviewed.

Quick Reply

Latest