The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with your actual a level grades and not predicted grades

I received my A Level results this summer and I am taking a gap year before starting uni in 2015. I did not defer entry, I'm applying this year. My results were ABB, but a lot of the unis I want to apply to have AAB entry requirements. I want to know if people have applied to universities with their actual a level grades and not predicted grades before, and if so how does it all work. If your grades meet the entry criteria would they give you an offer straight away? Also if I wanted to apply for unis that require AAB how likely are they to give me an offer? Or would they definitely not give me an offer?

Thanks in advance - Tom
Reply 1
Original post by tomkingwell
I received my A Level results this summer and I am taking a gap year before starting uni in 2015. I did not defer entry, I'm applying this year. My results were ABB, but a lot of the unis I want to apply to have AAB entry requirements. I want to know if people have applied to universities with their actual a level grades and not predicted grades before, and if so how does it all work. If your grades meet the entry criteria would they give you an offer straight away? Also if I wanted to apply for unis that require AAB how likely are they to give me an offer? Or would they definitely not give me an offer?

Thanks in advance - Tom

It's always useful to ring the uni's and see what they say. I'm in a similar situation and they told me it's worth applying, but my grades will be a factor that is judged amongst the rest of application (personal statement, references etc.) When receiving an offer, it depends on how competitive the course is. As you would be applying with lower grades than the requirement, you may be at a slight disadvantage. But at the same time, you are applying with grades in hand so what they see is what they get, instead of giving you a conditional to get the grades!
Reply 2
Original post by callum_r
It's always useful to ring the uni's and see what they say. I'm in a similar situation and they told me it's worth applying, but my grades will be a factor that is judged amongst the rest of application (personal statement, references etc.) When receiving an offer, it depends on how competitive the course is. As you would be applying with lower grades than the requirement, you may be at a slight disadvantage. But at the same time, you are applying with grades in hand so what they see is what they get, instead of giving you a conditional to get the grades!

Thanks for the help. I guess the best thing to do like you said would be to call up and speak to them. I've got to make sure my personal statement is written to a very good standard as well. Thanks again!
Original post by tomkingwell
Thanks for the help. I guess the best thing to do like you said would be to call up and speak to them. I've got to make sure my personal statement is written to a very good standard as well. Thanks again!

I applied with my results - but I had qualifications in excess of what my course required.

I'd be very careful believing what these unis say. They will always say it is worth applying - because an extra application can't hurt them even if they are 99% sure to reject you. It costs them nothing but could cost you an application.

I'm also dubious as to whether most universities even read PS. That would require somebody to spend a good deal of time thinking and reading and make a subjective value judgement. It is much easier to just go by grades.

On the other hand, universities often let people in who haven't got their grades. They do this because they ultimately just want your money. Unfortunately as you have ABB not AAB you might not go under the new scheme where universities are allowed to take as many AAB students as they like.
Reply 4
im presuming they may make you offers if youre showing youre retaking otherwise

you will have tos ee if they will give you unconditionals or straight rejects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending