The Student Room Group

ABB applying for AAA

I just got my A level results and they're ABB - A in english lit, B in Italian, B in history (A in AS level RE). I want to apply to leeds, nottingham, Sheffield and queen Mary's university london to do English and History. QM uni is abb-aab; Sheffield and nottingham are abb and leeds is aaa. How likely is it that I'll get accepted/rejected with there results, baring in mind that I already have my grades? One of my friends got accepted to do history at Sheffield despite missing her offer of aab and getting abb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
BUMP. need some help guys!
I'm in exactly the same situation! But i'm gonna resit my modules in the subjects I got B in to get them up to A in my gap year to show that I'm at least trying to get the entry requirements, paha :P I'm also doing stuff to add to my personal statement so that I'm not judged too much on my grades :smile:

So I'd suggest the same thing, perhaps? I reckon you'll be fine, depends on how popular the course is that you're applying for, really.
(edited 9 years ago)
As long as you show your enthusiasm for the course/subject in your personal statement, grades won't be as important as this! :smile:
I know people in my year that didn't get the entry requirements but due to their PS they got offers, one even got a scholarship! You'll be fine, methinks.
Personally, I think it's stupid applying for an AAA course when you're two grades below. Although, this year Nottingham courses were in clearing for ABB anyway so all the best.
Reply 5
If you can get a prediction of at least AAB, more than possible
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
If you can get a prediction of at least AAB, more than possible

No I'm applying with my actual grades :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by coolerthanbeans
I'm in exactly the same situation! But i'm gonna resit my modules in the subjects I got B in to get them up to A in my gap year to show that I'm at least trying to get the entry requirements, paha :P I'm also doing stuff to add to my personal statement so that I'm not judged too much on my grades :smile:

So I'd suggest the same thing, perhaps? I reckon you'll be fine, depends on how popular the course is that you're applying for, really.

What subjects did you take? And are you trying to get AAA? I think I might just try to get AAB with one resit in history :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Personally, I think it's stupid applying for an AAA course when you're two grades below. Although, this year Nottingham courses were in clearing for ABB anyway so all the best.

What about applying for an aab course with abb?
Original post by hcu95
What subjects did you take? And are you trying to get AAA? I think I might just try to get AAB with one resit in history :smile:

Did Bio, Chem and Spanish (and Maths AS). Got an A in Spanish and Maths AS, then B in Chem and Bio. Thankfully, the unis I want to apply for accept resitters! And yep, trying to get AAA.

Good luck!
Maybe you should try carrying on with A2 RS? Do you think you can get an A in that? Or alternatively, if you think it is achievable, maybe do some resits? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by LouieSax
Maybe you should try carrying on with A2 RS? Do you think you can get an A in that? Or alternatively, if you think it is achievable, maybe do some resits? :smile:

I think it would be easier for me to just resit one or two exams than do another A2 (thought of it makes me sick already aha). Plus my school makes you do another 2 AS levels alongside it so you 'have enough hours' in your timetable.
Same position. Don't know whether or not to resit a few modules and go for AAA or just go for AAB (was only 2 marks off an A in Physics so an A in it is more than achievable)
Hey,

If your teachers predict AAA for your A2s, then aplying for an AAA will be fine. Just make sure you work hard for A2 and get the grades.
Don't be put off applying, you seem very intelligent :smile:

Good luck
Original post by hcu95
I just got my A level results and they're ABB - A in english lit, B in Italian, B in history (A in AS level RE). I want to apply to leeds, nottingham, Sheffield and queen Mary's university london to do English and History. QM uni is abb-aab; Sheffield and nottingham are abb and leeds is aaa. How likely is it that I'll get accepted/rejected with there results, baring in mind that I already have my grades? One of my friends got accepted to do history at Sheffield despite missing her offer of aab and getting abb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moved to applications and UCAS forum :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Same position. Don't know whether or not to resit a few modules and go for AAA or just go for AAB (was only 2 marks off an A in Physics so an A in it is more than achievable)

There are loads of good aab unis, where are you thinking of applying. My problem is aab seems to be the cut off for my course as it's quite competitive. Depending on how easy it is for you to resit I would, you may even get an a*! :biggrin:
Original post by hcu95
There are loads of good aab unis, where are you thinking of applying. My problem is aab seems to be the cut off for my course as it's quite competitive. Depending on how easy it is for you to resit I would, you may even get an a*! :biggrin:

I've got Nottingham, KCL and St Andrews down atm. I wouldn't mind going to Edinburgh or Bath and they're both AAA so I think I might resit some modules. Bearing in mind I also only did 3 AS levels at ABB and could be applying with AAA predictions; AABB at AS to AAA at A2 is certainly realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending