The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Freshers Fest - University of Birmingham

So guys, I've just seen the Freshers fest schedule be released on the guild website and I've seen there are a few special dress kind of events such as "Skool Disco", "Neon Party" and "Super heroes". I'm just wondering what sort of things are you guys wearing to these as some aren't too clear i.e. "Skool Disco" and are you guys buying clothes before you get there or when you get there?

But yeah other than that I thought this could just be a thread where certain questions can be asked about the freshers week etc.
Reply 1
Bump.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by podrodow1
So guys, I've just seen the Freshers fest schedule be released on the guild website and I've seen there are a few special dress kind of events such as "Skool Disco", "Neon Party" and "Super heroes". I'm just wondering what sort of things are you guys wearing to these as some aren't too clear i.e. "Skool Disco" and are you guys buying clothes before you get there or when you get there?

But yeah other than that I thought this could just be a thread where certain questions can be asked about the freshers week etc.

Hey, yeah I saw that to. I don't have any fancy dress costumes and I don't want to spend loads on them either so I'm just going to buy accessories rather than outfits.

I haven't wore school uniform in two years so I'll have to buy some sort of shirt and tie :/

I'll probably try and get bits before but I suppose you could always get some when you get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a fresher last year, and Skool Disco was our first event. Everyone took the fancy dress theme seriously, and for the other nights nobody could be bothered. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on fancy dress, then don't, as you probably won't want to dress up all the time! (Although I recommend you do for superheroes - Is this going to be at the O2?)
Reply 4
Original post by GrumpyCat123
I was a fresher last year, and Skool Disco was our first event. Everyone took the fancy dress theme seriously, and for the other nights nobody could be bothered. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on fancy dress, then don't, as you probably won't want to dress up all the time! (Although I recommend you do for superheroes - Is this going to be at the O2?)

I know this is probably painfully obvious from the name, but what sort of things do guys wear to the "Skool Disco"? Like just a shirt, school tie etc or what?

And yes, the superheroes night is at the O2! Also another question, I've gone for the freshers fest plus ticket and I was wondering if you knew which night you'd say is the best? As I'm not sure I'll attend all of them or not, so I'd like to know which ones you recommend the most? :smile:
I know this is probably painfully obvious from the name, but what sort of things do guys wear to the "Skool Disco"? Like just a shirt, school tie etc or what?

And yes, the superheroes night is at the O2! Also another question, I've gone for the freshers fest plus ticket and I was wondering if you knew which night you'd say is the best? As I'm not sure I'll attend all of them or not, so I'd like to know which ones you recommend the most? :smile:

A shirt, tie and jeans is perfectly fine, although you do get given a t-shirt where you can write your name and course on it, and some people chose to wear this with a tie. It's totally up to you :smile:.

For the O2 event, if you like to drink, make sure you do all your drinking before you go. The drinks there are painfully expensive! It cost me nearly £5 for one malibu and coke.

I went to every event except one (which I think was the institute. I'm not sure if that's one of the events?) I absolutely adored Karma, which is a total must! They put on another Karma event in the second term, so if you don't feel up to it, definitely go to that one! The only difference is that the second one is available to other years :smile:.

I also recommend Skool disco, as it's probably the first night you'll go out as a flat, and it really helps to cement friendships, as you won't know anyone but them. Strangely, it's a really good ice breaker. Freshers ball was also really good - it's basically just any other night out but dressed up. It's also nice to be on campus and not have to get an extortionately priced taxi back. (Just a tip - if a taxi charges more to get you back to halls than it did to take you to a club, just say no then walk away. Most of the time they shout after you, offering to take you for the original price you paid).
Reply 6
A shirt, tie and jeans is perfectly fine, although you do get given a t-shirt where you can write your name and course on it, and some people chose to wear this with a tie. It's totally up to you :smile:.

For the O2 event, if you like to drink, make sure you do all your drinking before you go. The drinks there are painfully expensive! It cost me nearly £5 for one malibu and coke.

I went to every event except one (which I think was the institute. I'm not sure if that's one of the events?) I absolutely adored Karma, which is a total must! They put on another Karma event in the second term, so if you don't feel up to it, definitely go to that one! The only difference is that the second one is available to other years :smile:.

I also recommend Skool disco, as it's probably the first night you'll go out as a flat, and it really helps to cement friendships, as you won't know anyone but them. Strangely, it's a really good ice breaker. Freshers ball was also really good - it's basically just any other night out but dressed up. It's also nice to be on campus and not have to get an extortionately priced taxi back. (Just a tip - if a taxi charges more to get you back to halls than it did to take you to a club, just say no then walk away. Most of the time they shout after you, offering to take you for the original price you paid).

Thanks a lot for this, really informative! Unfortunately I don't think there's a Karma event on from what I've seen, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Look forward to this now :smile:
Reply 7

Thanks for all the info. Do you know what the Stock Exchange night is? I understand it's in the Guild (I think) but what does it entail?

I've bought an outfit for the emergency services night which I managed to find for only £6 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for this, really informative! Unfortunately I don't think there's a Karma event on from what I've seen, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Look forward to this now :smile:

I completely forgot that Karma wouldn't be happening this year, as the company that was responsible for it went into liquidation. Sorry about that! It was a really good night :frown:.

Have fun though freshaa! :biggrin:

Original post by corax
Thanks for all the info. Do you know what the Stock Exchange night is? I understand it's in the Guild (I think) but what does it entail?

I've bought an outfit for the emergency services night which I managed to find for only £6 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The concept behind it is that drinks that aren't particularly popular go down in price, but those that are popular rise in price. I think that they have screens detailing when a drinks price has gone down, but I can't really remember them! :tongue:

That's super cheap! We didn't have emergency services :frown:, it would have been fun. Do you have a toga party?
Reply 9

The concept behind it is that drinks that aren't particularly popular go down in price, but those that are popular rise in price. I think that they have screens detailing when a drinks price has gone down, but I can't really remember them! :tongue:

That's super cheap! We didn't have emergency services :frown:, it would have been fun. Do you have a toga party?

No I wish there was a toga party :frown: I also wish there was a masquerade ball - I know there's one happening in the city centre organised by the lowercase events people.

Ah right that sounds like a laugh! How much are the drinks in the Guild btw? Would you recommend buying cheap drinks and pre-drinking a lot to save money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
No I wish there was a toga party :frown: I also wish there was a masquerade ball - I know there's one happening in the city centre organised by the lowercase events people.

Ah right that sounds like a laugh! How much are the drinks in the Guild btw? Would you recommend buying cheap drinks and pre-drinking a lot to save money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There will probably be a toga party later in the year - we had 3. At the freshers Christmas ball it was masquerade, so it might be this year :smile:.

I never paid more than £2.30 for a drink at the Guild, which, compared to most places is pretty cheap. I would recommend cheap pre-drinks, but if you go to Risa (they do the electric night) they can be incredibly picky about who they let in, so don't turn up wasted there :s-smilie:!
Reply 11
There will probably be a toga party later in the year - we had 3. At the freshers Christmas ball it was masquerade, so it might be this year :smile:.

I never paid more than £2.30 for a drink at the Guild, which, compared to most places is pretty cheap. I would recommend cheap pre-drinks, but if you go to Risa (they do the electric night) they can be incredibly picky about who they let in, so don't turn up wasted there :s-smilie:!

Ah right okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a policeman outfit and a superman outfit for freshers. I've saved my old school uniform for the school disco and you can get loads of neon stuff at the poundshop for that party. Might as well make he effort I guess!
Reply 13
Original post by JamesGaga
I've got a policeman outfit and a superman outfit for freshers. I've saved my old school uniform for the school disco and you can get loads of neon stuff at the poundshop for that party. Might as well make he effort I guess!

Where did you get your poliecman and superman outfit if you don't mind me asking? Trying to find somewhere selling for a reasonable price!
Original post by corax
Ah right okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:. If you have any questions or issues at uni just message me :smile:.
What kinda music do they generally play at these events? Im trying to figure out if i would actually enjoy it before i buy a ticket
Original post by tillywishwosh
Hey, so having realised I've left this all a bit late there are no freshers fest plus tickets left... is the ball all that it's cracked up to be? Should I try and find someone willing to sell me a ticket or just buy a standard one? Thank you

This.
Reply 17
Where would you guys recommend buying a neon t shirt or something? Because I really don't have anything to wear to the neon party currently
Reply 18
Original post by alevelsarelong
What kinda music do they generally play at these events? Im trying to figure out if i would actually enjoy it before i buy a ticket

Probably your usual chart and mainstream stuff to please the masses. Hopefully they'll play some well known alternative/rock songs too.

Where would you guys recommend buying a neon t shirt or something? Because I really don't have anything to wear to the neon party currently

Have you looked on eBay or Amazon? Fancy dress shops will have neon stuff but it'll most likely cost more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest