The Student Room Group

Be tutored GCSE retakes for an academic year?

Hi there,

A friend of mine recently completed his GCSEs. He got a couple of A and B grades, but with a majority of C grades in the subjects that matter to him (Physics, Maths). He doesn't want to go to a college or sixth form to retake his GCSE due to his own reasons (I don't know what they are).

Is it possible for him to spend 1 academic year being tutored at home, and then take the exams from a certain exam board at the end of the year? He doesn't want to make the leap to A-Level with his GCSE results, especially considering he wants to do Maths for A-level (which he can't do because of his GCSE grades).

Can anyone provide any insight? Is he allowed to do this or is he forced to do A-levels in Sixth form?
Original post by TheIdesOfMay
Hi there,

A friend of mine recently completed his GCSEs. He got a couple of A and B grades, but with a majority of C grades in the subjects that matter to him (Physics, Maths). He doesn't want to go to a college or sixth form to retake his GCSE due to his own reasons (I don't know what they are).

Is it possible for him to spend 1 academic year being tutored at home, and then take the exams from a certain exam board at the end of the year? He doesn't want to make the leap to A-Level with his GCSE results, especially considering he wants to do Maths for A-level (which he can't do because of his GCSE grades).

Can anyone provide any insight? Is he allowed to do this or is he forced to do A-levels in Sixth form?

I think he will be allowed to do this.
Hi!
Basically because of the new law regulations he has to stay on education until he his 18! Whatever this may be! 6form, college, apprenticeship etc! I'm sure home tutoring should be acceptable as it is still classed as in education! and for the exam board, Maby if you got in contact and asked they would be able to give you more info! However the home tutoring would have to have a qualified tutor. have you not thought of taken btec courses instead of a levels?
Reply 3
Oh these friends :P
Reply 4
Should be ok but the exams would need to be entered via an approved centre and taken in that centre. A fee would apply for this.
They could do a Btec level 1 or 2 and retake the GCSEs alongside and then move to A Levels but you would need to find out from the local FE college or 6th form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending