The Student Room Group

SWOT Analysis of Sky

Can anybody help me out with a SWOT analysis of sky?
I can tell you a weakness. Their internet connectivity is bull****.
Reply 2
letting bt sport poach some of the premier league footie games
Original post by Bushy123
Can anybody help me out with a SWOT analysis of sky?

BT broadband has been targeting the student market for a number of years (through the adverts about the flatmates...) as they have realised not much has been directed at it and its an untouched market (No longer just for happy families at home which was the previous advertising style by BT). The requirement of a BT Line normally pushes the majority of students towards Virgin. Sky has done nothing to counter that and get into that market. I would be surprised if any student got SKY just for their broadband. Plusnet fairs even better.

BT sports has won rights to show champions league football from 2015 if not mistaken...Sky has only managed to get european football from other leagues to counter that...

The pay per view market is expanding and a sky subscription is not getting any cheaper. You can catch your shows on Netflix from as lil as £6.

Sky offers the full package and a one stop shop, but its actually cheaper and better to get what you want separately from different sources... The only thing that keeps it going is heavy and expensive marketing with famous faces. It now struggles to compete. With an expensive broadband, poor sports package and shows that are available through pay per view boxsets and exclusivity deals for netflix and the likes, Sky has been left with the only option of promoting their freebies like sky GO and their movies package

Virgin tries to introduce you to their services through their different USPs: Superfast broadband or Tivo or their non requirement of a BT line.
SKY does that through Idris Elba telling you how many shows hes missed...
Agree, a lot of weaknesses with Sky. It is definitely over-priced. I'm surprised they didn't change the whole business model to try and compete with Netflix directly and just forget Sky Movies channels - would have been a much better approach especially with their exclusivity deals.

I guess a strength would be them being cutting-edge in terms of the first to get HD. Which now, in turn, they are the first to get a dedicated 3D channel in Europe. This could be viewed as a huge strength. At the same time, it could be catastrophic for them because it's so expensive, and let's face it. How many people do you know with a 3D TV and Sky 3D? I actually know a lot of people with one but not the other. It just isn't catching on...

Also, they do deals but they don't have really have any loyalty schemes in place for existing customers. It just encourages people to switch all over the place. What's the point in incentivising new customers if your current customer turnover rate is probably just as high?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
i think you should break it down into operational effectiveness and strategic positioning and do respective strengths and weaknesses in each
Reply 6
hey how did you get on with this?

i am doing a project on the strategic activities of sky sports, could anyone help with a SWOT analysis and suggestions of new strategies to implement for the future.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending