The Student Room Group

Bowel and bladder problems

Hi, I'm only 23 years old but I have plenty of bowel and bladder problems. My bladder is the worst, if I'm out I seem to at least need to go every 2 - 3 hours and it's worst in the morning.

More annoying is my bowel. In the morning I need to "release" bare minimum at least twice. Sometimes three times. I went to go see a doctor about this three years ago and got a blood test. They said everything seemed normal and nothing came up in the results, but they assume I've got irritable bowel syndrome(which doesn't come up in blood tests apparently). They just told me I need to learn how to manage it and consume more fiber and gave me some fibogel powder to drink which is kind of like a laxative and helps constipation so I can manage my time better.

It's probably also worth nothing I believe I'm lactose intolerant(never been diagnosed) so I avoid all dairy products as much as I can. My dad seems to have similar problems as me.

I've learnt how to manage my time better and understand my bowel movements more but but my situation hasn't really improved at all.

Can anyone advice me or have similar experiences??
(edited 9 years ago)
2-3 hours isn't that bad for your bladder, I have overactive bladder syndrome and go every half an hour sometimes less :frown: Your bowel on the other hand you should probably see somebody about again. Try and get a second opinion, to see if it definitely is IBS.
Reply 2
There are occasions where I go as often as every 30 minutes - 1 hour.

For example the other day for some reason my bladder was feeling kind of "tingly" and I was literally going every 30 mins at least. I got the train which lasted an hour and I was literally bursting by the time I got off, didn't even think I was gonna make it to the toilet. I went to the toilet atleast 3 more times before meeting this girl for a date. Had 1 pint of cider and had to use the toilet(bursting kind of need) 3 times whilst on the date, which was so embarassing....
Reply 3
As somebody who recently has also had the most frustrating bowel issues that went of for months, go back to the doctors but ask to see a different GP. Getting a second opinion can do the world of difference. The usual doctor I see also told me "It's probably just IBS" because my blood test came back normal too; but in my opinion, IBS is just a list of symptoms and not a diagnosis of anything.

When I saw a different doctor, he was so proactive in really getting to the route of my problem! So yeah, if you get to see a different GP, really stress to them how much your problems are effecting you and how the previous doctor wasn't much help. Don't let them just palm you off with "It's just IBS" or "It's probably just stress" as it's their job to actually help you.

Quick Reply

Latest