The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Fun casual clubs/societies to join at Warwick?

Hello! I'm an incoming fresher for Warwick (History!) and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a fun club/society to join? I'm not the sportiest person in the world but I'd like to keep a bit of (non-competitive) sport going and make some friends at the same time - I really want to get involved in the social side too. I also want to join a non-academic society. Any suggestions?

Looking down the list I'd noticed Mixed Netball looked like they didn't take themselves too seriously, although not sure if it would be weird for a guy to join a netball soc. Also maybe Mixed Hockey. Thoughts?

Cheers :smile:
Have you looked at clubs such as Warwick Snow, Warwick Mountains, climbing, etc? They are non-competitive but they are good fun, and the chance to do something a bit different off campus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Seconding the recommendation for Warwick Snow, ski tour is a blast!!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chip in about Mixed Netball - I was a member of the club last year. The clubs got a great vibe, they're big into their socials, particularly circling, a Warwick 'institution' where sports clubs have pre-drinks before a club night which means a couple of weeks down the line you're going out with 30+ you really like. Sounds like you'd like the sporting side too, training twice a week where you can do as much or as little as you want, most people tend to go to one session but some members are purely social or sporting. As for the guys thing, you're at uni, no-one cares what you do and I'd basically describe it as a kickaround in the park with your mates, except some of them happen to be girls.

Hope this didn't sound like too much of a sales pitch but MN really made my year, feel free to ask away if you have any questions
Original post by Mad_Descent

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chip in about Mixed Netball - I was a member of the club last year. The clubs got a great vibe, they're big into their socials, particularly circling, a Warwick 'institution' where sports clubs have pre-drinks before a club night which means a couple of weeks down the line you're going out with 30+ you really like. Sounds like you'd like the sporting side too, training twice a week where you can do as much or as little as you want, most people tend to go to one session but some members are purely social or sporting. As for the guys thing, you're at uni, no-one cares what you do and I'd basically describe it as a kickaround in the park with your mates, except some of them happen to be girls.

Hope this didn't sound like too much of a sales pitch but MN really made my year, feel free to ask away if you have any questions

For MN, do they teach you how to play?

And are there fitness sessions?
Original post by tehforum
For MN, do they teach you how to play?

Yep, so the game itself is fairly straightforward and considering almost none of the guys and not all of the girls will have played before, they go through the rules and then jump straight in but the ref will be quite lenient. One thing to mention is that because its a casual club, to keep costs down, there's no paid coaches (and therefore no termly costs), just members of the exec.

Original post by tehforum
And are there fitness sessions?

I'm not sure how they're going to play it this year, last year training sessions were generally a quick warm up, some drills and then tournament play. I know they were trying to make the Wednesday session more of a fitness session but it wasn't too intense. I'll mention this thread to the exec and see what they say
I definitely second the recommendation to join Mixed Netball.
On the guy front, MN membership is split pretty evenly between men and women!

Genuinely a great society. Joined in my first year and have been part of it since then and now going into my 3rd year. Every society says they are friendly and welcoming, but it is definitely particularly pronounced with MN because its express aim is to be a non-competitive club that still means you get a good bit of exercise, have a great laugh, make friends and enjoy a sense of family whilst you're at uni :biggrin:
Definitely try out MN! As a member I love it! Everyone is really friendly and there aren't any cliques or groups within the club- everyone is like a family! I think a few of the exec are History students as well so I'm sure they'll give you a few pointers with your course!
Reply 8
Wow thanks guys, I think I've found myself a club to try :smile:

they're big into their socials, particularly circling, a Warwick 'institution' where sports clubs have pre-drinks before a club night which means a couple of weeks down the line you're going out with 30+ you really like.

Can't quite imagine it but sounds like a laugh, is that in the SU then?
Original post by Sofresh
Wow thanks guys, I think I've found myself a club to try :smile:

Can't quite imagine it but sounds like a laugh, is that in the SU then?

Yep, Wednesdays from 7pm in the Copper Rooms. If you're keen about circling in the first week, the tickets go on sale from noon tomorrow (and are very likely to sell out).
Reply 10

Third recommendation for WarwickSnow! The ski tour has got to be on every fresher's bucket list of things to do before they graduate. The club is also well known for it's socials and has many casual members that come only to socials, so it sounds as though it's something you'd be interested in.

They also run the 'AVALANCHE' event on Tuesday Week 1, and are the only Sports Club to have their own night on during freshers! :party2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending