The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

would imperial mind if I took my parents on the first night?

Just to help me settle in and make friends, I've agreed to it already and I'm living in beit hall.

Its standard single so would everyone else be OK with my parents using the shared bathrooms etc.

Thank you :smile:

By the way if anyone is also in beit then hello there *waves the hand many times as a sign of friendship* :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tarmaclover
Just to help me...make friends

how exactly would the presence of your parents help you with this?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by + polarity -
how exactly would the presence of your parents help you with this?

My parents would introduce me to people and people would get to know them and tell people what I like don't like etc. They would also help me and guide me and people would love my parents cause they're great! They also want to have a good time too! :smile:

What are you studying polarity and where :biggrin:
Don't forget your nappies
Original post by helloeverybody5

LOL!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents would introduce me to people and people would get to know them and tell people what I like don't like etc. They would also help me and guide me and people would love my parents cause they're great! They also want to have a good time too! :smile:

I think I'm gonna be sick
Just to help me settle in and make friends, I've agreed to it already and I'm living in beit hall.

Its standard single so would everyone else be OK with my parents using the shared bathrooms etc.

Thank you :smile:

By the way if anyone is also in beit then hello there *waves the hand many times as a sign of friendship* :colondollar:

I shall repost what I said on the other thread,

Hmm this is going to sound offensive, but cut the umbilical cord, there is no way this is a good idea. Do what you can to back out, university is all about starting afresh, working things out for yourself, experimenting and having fun (study is in there somewhere). Do not be scared, everyone is in the same boat and will be happy to make friends.

Also as implied by polarity, having your parents will not help you make friends this will infact only alienate you from the other people, who will want to meet you without your parents hanging around.
cringe

Everyone will be in the same boat, very nervous, anxious, and scared about making friends.

Having your parents will most likely make it extremely awkward for you and your flat mates.

A lot of students move in and their parents help them unpack, they then go out for a meal or their first shop together and go home. Which in my opinion would be the best way to go about it.

Unnecessary.

Not a good idea. You should be able to do that stuff on your own.

Can't you do that for yourself? To be honest, I'd feel really awkward if I was introduced to my new flat-mate by their parents as I'd want to get to know you not them (not trying to be rude). I know it's quite daunting but you need to take the plunge and speak up for yourself. Your parents will leave you sooner or later.

Of course the university would not mind, many parents stay for a bit to help their child settle in but then they leave promptly (in most cases).

PMSL.:lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't you introduce yourself to your flatmates? Uni is all about growing up so just enjoy it!
This isn't preschool and people won't respond well to your parents trying to organise play dates.
Thank you for your responses new friends :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

No my parents are great and because the first night it is a social norm for us to go out they would come along with my new friends and help me get to know them, and they would be impressed with my dads awesome dance skills (jokes :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ) but I think that it would be a good transition from the home life into the adulthood world :biggrin: they would also go the next day and if not and I am uncomfortable would it not be good for me to have that option :biggrin:
Lol, not a good idea. Don't do it.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL "My parents would introduce me to others" :lol:

That's how you end up with 0 friends.
If you really want your parents there then couldn't they stay in a nearby hotel instead? Just a compromise!
you'll just make it awkward for yourself if your parents stay with you, people would find it weird and it would make it harder for you to make friends
Original post by yl95
Lol, not a good idea. Don't do it.

Please, please, please record this and keep us updated with the ongoings of this... shenanigans (to say the least) .

Quick Reply

Latest