The Student Room Group

Have any of you ''ended'' your relationship with your parent(s)?

You know the saying 'You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family'? Well, just as friendships can end up not working out, has the same happened to you and parent(s)? And I mean a serious termination of your relationship rather than a falling out which lasts a few days.

What made you decide you no longer wanted anything to do with them?
What did you do?
How do you feel?

I'm expecting this to be a rare occurrence, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Any contributions will be appreciated. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

no that's awful
Must be tragic to completely cut off your parents.

Some serious **** must have happened..
I have with my father. He was continuously letting me down and it hurt me too much. When I turned 18 I cut all contact with him. Changed my number, blocked him on everything. He talks through my mum now to see how I'm getting on but I'm not particularly interested anymore in having a relationship with him. I feel fine about it now, not everyone's lucky enough to have great parents. I'm just lucky I have at least one brilliant one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
With my mother, and I will never willingly speak to her again. Growing up with her was awful and left me a nervous wreck complete with crippling diagnosed anxiety disorders. Lots of sleeping rougj in my teen years, lits of violence and emotional abuse, even police calls on several occasions. I have urged her to seek medical attention for mental health problems she clearly has, but she refused. I had no contact with my father growing up and have been speaking to him lots for the past few years, and he will remain in my life indefinitely. Total opposite of my mother and he had a legitimate readonfo
*reason for leaving. You win some you lose some.
Original post by Anonymous
You know the saying 'You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family'? Well, just as friendships can end up not working out, has the same happened to you and parent(s)? And I mean a serious termination of your relationship rather than a falling out which lasts a few days.

What did you do?
How do you feel?

I'm expecting this to be a rare occurrence, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Do you have a story to tell too? :smile:

As for me :-

There wasn't really one single factor to it but a culmination of years of little things here and there as well as several years where there just was an unspoken cold war.

From young days, the mother preferred the elder brother who was her absolute favourite and the years he was bullying me she simply refused to acknowledge it happened. Everything he wanted she gave it to him. The one commodity that was a scarcity was time to which she had none for me but plenty for him.

Then there was the father who had the younger sister as his absolute darling. Everything she wanted she received from him.

Rewards for doing well in academics and sports that made the elder brother feel slighted? Well they used their financial resources to send me away at age 12, not to a different home or school but to a completely different country.

The day I took that flight to England at 12 was the last time I saw them in person till I was 24. That was essentially the first cold war. Spoke to them 3 times on the telephone during that era. Once to tell them I had arrived at Winchester, once to tell them I had been accepted into Oxford and once to tell them I was graduating. They didn't attend my graduation as holidaying in Paris was more important.

The favouritism didn't stop, both of the siblings received huge amounts of money from the parents. Home, cars, "jobs" and educational plans for their children. Cars are a big deal as this is Singapore we are talking off and a small car tiny ****box car can cost as much as a Mercedes in UK. The brother gets a "hand me down" from the mother every other year and she doesn't go for cheap cars, recently she gave him her former BMW 5 series that was only 9 months old. The sister, she has had at least 5 cars from the father in the last 10 year with the last one being a Mercedes SLK. What did I receive? I received a small discount off a condo when I moved back to Singapore.

Then came the first dispute 5 years ago. My granddad passed on, I was the one closest to him and we did a lot of investing and plantations together, he left his share of those investments to me which was a big amount and he also left several of my late grandma's jewellery to me. Father wanted me to give the jewellery to the sister claiming she didn't receive much from him. I told him she and him both can **** off. It didn't go well. Cold war started for a year plus.

Then 3 months ago. My other granddad left everyone with money, he gave them a choice of either one lump sump, in several stages or a monthly allowance. The brother took the one lump sump and lived like a duke. The sister took hers in several stages. Mother started asking that I divert the amount I get from the trust to the brother's children. First she said they had more rights to that money as his wife is Chinese and his kids are more Chinese than mine since my kids have a Swedish mother and that my late grandfather would never have approved or given me that money had he known. I told her I rather give the money to the Norwegian Tax Office than to give it to her favourite brat and that if she wanted to support them for life she should use her own money rather than touch mine.

Then the final straw. 2 weeks after that incident, the father asked me to sign a waiver for a property his father gave him. He has it on a right to life and after he passes on he is supposed to pass it to me as that was his father's instructions. He found out that 4 of his brothers had made deals with me as each of them held a house that they had a right to life to and after that was to pass on 50% of it to me and the rest to their children. I made deals with them that I'd waive my share to it for 1% of the value subject to several clauses. Father wanted me to give him a waiver for the grandfather's old house as he wanted to give that house to the sister and brother, claiming that I already had plenty. I told him he can buy that waiver for market value and then he can do the hell he likes. In the end he sent me the money for that waiver together with all kinds of bad mouthing.

After that both parents started spreading **** about me and bad mouthed me to my kids and relatives.

What did you do?

I don't really have to do much, they live in Singapore. I live in Norway. I've simply stopped taking their calls or answering any of their messages.

Their birthday was last week. In the past I've always sent something for their birthdays. This time I sent nothing. I also stopped talking to the siblings.

I told my kids not to be in contact with them and if they needed a grandparent to talk to they shall speak to their mother's mother.

How do you feel?

In the beginning there was always a sense of guilt to it that I was doing something wrong. There was also the sense that I was placing money over relationships. Then end of the day I realized it is my money and if I don't defend it then I'm just opening the door for more.

Now it is just another day. Unfortunately I can't change my phone number as I have plenty of business contacts on it too.

What did you do?
How do you feel?

I have a tenant in my flat in London who has ended her relationship with her parents.

They are uber religious and try to control her life, She has just left home and not given them a forwarding address. Part of me feels so sad for her but the other part feels relieved that she has escaped this suffocating atmosphere where religion dictates her every move.

She is thriving away from them - just doing simple things like shopping in a normal supermarket; watching television; eating what she wants; wearing normal clothes. I have stepped in as a proxy parent for her - bit odd I know but she is such a sweet girl and I wish her all the best.
I plan to with my dad as soon as I move out on a permenant basis. It's pretty hard though seeing as him and my mum are still together so whenever I'd want to see her I'd have to see him too. At the moment I live at home, but I try and have nothing to do with him beyond polite civil conversation (as if we were housemates that did not get on).
This is more common than people might think and it is also necessary more often than people think. A lot of parents like a lot of people in general are really shocking people who it is impossible to establish a working relationship with into adulthood. There is simply no point in trying to negotiate with them.
I just want to say something, for the ones that have cut off contact with their parents or the whole family to not say about their situation to anyone new straightaway. So many girls and guys escapes one hell to go to another hell because they get taken the advantage. Don't get me wrong there are so many people that would help that person start new but there are so many filthy people that would use that as an advantage to abuse further.
I haven't, my Mum did.

They were pretty rotten to her throughout childhood, then they told her if she didn't leave my Dad they'd cut her out. She pointed out this was ridiculous, as he made her happy. They reiterated the ultimatum, she cut contact.

She's still in regular touch with her siblings though.
My biological father didn't want me and was physically abusive towards my mother and myself as a baby. He made things as difficult as possible for my mother during their divorce, and then he wouldn't let my stepfather legally adopt me ("No! Blood is blood! He's mine!" - all the while he wanted nothing to do with me :rolleyes:) so while I was applying for student financing he made things very difficult again. We also had to sue him for back child support (ironically if he had let me be adopted he wouldn't have had to pay it). My grandad on his side is absolutely amazing and I have as much contact with him as possible but my father has threatened that he'll stop him seeing his other grandkids (my half-siblings) if he sees me. Basically he's made no effort to stay in touch (never even had a birthday card from him or anything) but still throws as many spanners in the works as possible.
Luckily I have a lovely stepfather who I consider to be my actual parent :smile:

Edit - just to show his sort of mentality, the last thing he said to my mum at the divorce proceedings was "Who's going to want you, a useless English woman with a child in tow". We're doing pretty well I'd say :wink:

Edit 2 - so in answer to the OPs question, yes I have :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I cant even begin to imagine this ever happening, but I can understand how it could happen if your parents are horrible.. some parents are. Stay strong guys x
Original post by Alfissti
Do you have a story to tell too? :smile:

As for me :-

There wasn't really one single factor to it but a culmination of years of little things here and there as well as several years where there just was an unspoken cold war.

From young days, the mother preferred the elder brother who was her absolute favourite and the years he was bullying me she simply refused to acknowledge it happened. Everything he wanted she gave it to him. The one commodity that was a scarcity was time to which she had none for me but plenty for him.

Then there was the father who had the younger sister as his absolute darling. Everything she wanted she received from him.

Rewards for doing well in academics and sports that made the elder brother feel slighted? Well they used their financial resources to send me away at age 12, not to a different home or school but to a completely different country.

The day I took that flight to England at 12 was the last time I saw them in person till I was 24. That was essentially the first cold war. Spoke to them 3 times on the telephone during that era. Once to tell them I had arrived at Winchester, once to tell them I had been accepted into Oxford and once to tell them I was graduating. They didn't attend my graduation as holidaying in Paris was more important.

The favouritism didn't stop, both of the siblings received huge amounts of money from the parents. Home, cars, "jobs" and educational plans for their children. Cars are a big deal as this is Singapore we are talking off and a small car tiny ****box car can cost as much as a Mercedes in UK. The brother gets a "hand me down" from the mother every other year and she doesn't go for cheap cars, recently she gave him her former BMW 5 series that was only 9 months old. The sister, she has had at least 5 cars from the father in the last 10 year with the last one being a Mercedes SLK. What did I receive? I received a small discount off a condo when I moved back to Singapore.

Then came the first dispute 5 years ago. My granddad passed on, I was the one closest to him and we did a lot of investing and plantations together, he left his share of those investments to me which was a big amount and he also left several of my late grandma's jewellery to me. Father wanted me to give the jewellery to the sister claiming she didn't receive much from him. I told him she and him both can **** off. It didn't go well. Cold war started for a year plus.

Then 3 months ago. My other granddad left everyone with money, he gave them a choice of either one lump sump, in several stages or a monthly allowance. The brother took the one lump sump and lived like a duke. The sister took hers in several stages. Mother started asking that I divert the amount I get from the trust to the brother's children. First she said they had more rights to that money as his wife is Chinese and his kids are more Chinese than mine since my kids have a Swedish mother and that my late grandfather would never have approved or given me that money had he known. I told her I rather give the money to the Norwegian Tax Office than to give it to her favourite brat and that if she wanted to support them for life she should use her own money rather than touch mine.

Then the final straw. 2 weeks after that incident, the father asked me to sign a waiver for a property his father gave him. He has it on a right to life and after he passes on he is supposed to pass it to me as that was his father's instructions. He found out that 4 of his brothers had made deals with me as each of them held a house that they had a right to life to and after that was to pass on 50% of it to me and the rest to their children. I made deals with them that I'd waive my share to it for 1% of the value subject to several clauses. Father wanted me to give him a waiver for the grandfather's old house as he wanted to give that house to the sister and brother, claiming that I already had plenty. I told him he can buy that waiver for market value and then he can do the hell he likes. In the end he sent me the money for that waiver together with all kinds of bad mouthing.

After that both parents started spreading **** about me and bad mouthed me to my kids and relatives.

What did you do?

I don't really have to do much, they live in Singapore. I live in Norway. I've simply stopped taking their calls or answering any of their messages.

Their birthday was last week. In the past I've always sent something for their birthdays. This time I sent nothing. I also stopped talking to the siblings.

I told my kids not to be in contact with them and if they needed a grandparent to talk to they shall speak to their mother's mother.

How do you feel?

In the beginning there was always a sense of guilt to it that I was doing something wrong. There was also the sense that I was placing money over relationships. Then end of the day I realized it is my money and if I don't defend it then I'm just opening the door for more.

Now it is just another day. Unfortunately I can't change my phone number as I have plenty of business contacts on it too.

This is really just unbelievable. I really can't imagine why a parent would practice such favouritism. I mean, their love and devotion to your siblings can't be real, because motherly and fatherly love is supposed to be natural, which it obviously isn't for them. And racism towards your children to boot! You are much better off without that nonsense!

To the OP, I love my mum to bits and think I would compromise pretty much anything for my relationship with her. The same can't be said for my dad. I do love him a lot, but sometimes I wonder if we will continue to have a relationship. He has made tonnes of mistakes in his life and yet is still preachy and judgemental, always acting like he has all the answers (which he seriously does not). I'm finding our relationship extremely tedious, but the hope is once I graduate university next year I will never live with him again, not even during the holidays. Then we can maintain a distant, yet amicable, relationship. I think if we were to one day end up living under the same roof full time, it would lead to estrangement without a doubt.
I have had a very rocky relationship with my father since I can remember. It started with him favouring my sister when I was young and has just developed into much worse things than that.

My father was especially abusive towards my mother - never physically violent because he was always careful not to. I started trying to defend my mother at a fairly early age. He's hated that.

My sister was physically abusive to me and my father never prevented it or disciplined her for it.

My mother developed early onset Alzheimer's disease about five years ago. My father has tried to get her to say that she hears voices in order to get additional benefits from the health service.

When I was first pregnant my father talked behind my back to my husband saying that he believed I was a risk to my child and that I would hit my baby and didn't my husband agree with him? When I seven months pregnant and my mother and husband tried to get me to reconcile with him - for my mother's sake - it ended with him screaming over me while I was collapsed on the tile floor unable to move with my baby in distress. I was told I was every name under the sun, that I was disinherited, that he hated me. My mother battered him and actually drew blood trying to get him away from me. The next morning my father and my sister took advantage of my mother's memory and made her believe that it was all me who had caused the upset.

Since my son was born he has said on several occasions he doesn't care if he sees the child, he doesn't give a s***. He acts like none of the things he has done ever happened and gets my sister to say that I am delusional as well. He hides behind my mother with the rest of my family and has turned them all against me because I can't visit her because he is there. They all think I just need to move on.

I have. What they don't get is that moving on for me means moving on from all of them.
Reply 16

What did you do?
How do you feel?

Not yet. After uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am grateful that I have a good relationship with my parents. One of my cousins cut off almost all ties with her dad, not long after her parents divorced. I have never really found out the whole story, and as he died of a heart attack when my cousin was in their early 20s and now is happily married with children, no reason to mention or discuss it.
I'm going to break the mould and tell my story. I've pretty much cut contact with my family but it's 99% my fault. I've never really got along with them, I've always had issues with getting along with people but my family especially. Every little thing they do I pretty much explode at, whether small or big. Eventually, I just decided I didn't want it anymore. There are some things which caused fractured foundations, but I won't bore you with that.

As to how I felt, I didn't feel anything. That's what was most poignant to me, I just felt nothing. Like when you throw away an empty bag of crisps.
I'm going to break the mould and tell my story. I've pretty much cut contact with my family but it's 99% my fault. I've never really got along with them, I've always had issues with getting along with people but my family especially. Every little thing they do I pretty much explode at, whether small or big. Eventually, I just decided I didn't want it anymore. There are some things which caused fractured foundations, but I won't bore you with that.

As to how I felt, I didn't feel anything. That's what was most poignant to me, I just felt nothing. Like when you throw away an empty bag of crisps.

You cut contact with your family because they irritate you unintentionally? This situation must be more multidimensional than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending