The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry HELP

I've only had two lessons of chemistry and already I feel like there has been a really big jump :frown:

Does anyone have any tips on how to ace A-level Chemistry, how and how often to revise?

Please link any helpful resources below, thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by Huda_medo
I've only had two lessons of chemistry and already I feel like there has been a really big jump :frown:

Does anyone have any tips on how to ace A-level Chemistry, how and how often to revise?

What board are you studying.... I've had three lessons so far (doing edexcel) and haven't found it too much of a jump.

I would take a look over your notes every night (or as often as you can) because that will help your understanding quite a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by BryonyG98
What board are you studying.... I've had three lessons so far (doing edexcel) and haven't found it too much of a jump.

I would take a look over your notes every night (or as often as you can) because that will help your understanding quite a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam board is OCR A, and yeah I'm trying to read over them but it's really not helping, :colondollar: which topics have you started on? :smile:
The exam board is OCR A, and yeah I'm trying to read over them but it's really not helping, :colondollar: which topics have you started on? :smile:

Formulae and equations xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Formulae and equations xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sammmmmmmmme :frown:
I've just started Chemistry too! Does your Teacher give you loads of notes and explain things or are you literally left to do it all yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The step up is quite big at the beginning but if you stay on top of it you should be fine.

Use chemguide it's really helpful.
Sammmmmmmmme :frown:

We've just done the atom and ionic equations and balancing equations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Soy_Food_Music
I've just started Chemistry too! Does your Teacher give you loads of notes and explain things or are you literally left to do it all yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's half and half really, he will explain but really quickly and expects us to know all the little things (which I don't)!

wbu?:smile:
Reply 9

I did OCR A too! I'm now studying my A2's. I understand what you're saying, it is tough, but my best advice would be to read ahead, so that when the harder content is taught (unit 2: nucleophilic substitution etc) you won't find it as tough to get your head around. (As students find the unit 2 mock a shock To the system, and you'll probably think you've been given an especially hard paper and it's a one off- it's not, sadly) The stuff your being taught at the moment should be super easy and second nature to you by the end of the year, so don't worry too much about it. (depending on how good of a teacher you have, that is) so yeah, maybe read a double paged spread a night before you go to bed 😉
Finally, please please start papers early. I made that mistake, I revised and revised content but left doing papers of my own until a few nights before the exam and it panicked me. The best way to revise (once you know the content in my opinion) is to do papers, especially when maths, physics and chemistry are involved.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's the only one out of all my teachers that actually does give notes! I started on formula and moles calculations too and I'm finding it super easy because I've got notes, which I can review.... Have a look on YouTube for tutorials for the stuff that's difficult to you and make notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by EJay28
I did OCR A too! I'm now studying my A2's. I understand what you're saying, it is tough, but my best advice would be to read ahead, so that when the harder content is taught (unit 2: nucleophilic substitution etc) you won't find it as tough to get your head around. (As students find the unit 2 mock a shock To the system, and you'll probably think you've been given an especially hard paper and it's a one off- it's not, sadly) The stuff your being taught at the moment should be super easy and second nature to you by the end of the year, so don't worry too much about it. (depending on how good of a teacher you have, that is) so yeah, maybe read a double paged spread a night before you go to bed ������
Finally, please please start papers early. I made that mistake, I revised and revised content but left doing papers of my own until a few nights before the exam and it panicked me. The best way to revise (once you know the content in my opinion) is to do papers, especially when maths, physics and chemistry are involved.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was super helpful :smile: Thank you so much!!
Reply 12
Original post by Soy_Food_Music
He's the only one out of all my teachers that actually does give notes! I started on formula and moles calculations too and I'm finding it super easy because I've got notes, which I can review.... Have a look on YouTube for tutorials for the stuff that's difficult to you and make notes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you're right, YouTube can be super helpful, thank you! :smile:
Reply 13
This was super helpful :smile: Thank you so much!!

No problem, you're very welcome ! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing edexcel you will probably see the biggest jump as it's the hardest exam board for chemistry seeing as you cover so much in AS that other boards don't

I recommend the George facer edexcel AS chemistry text book as it goes over the course in so much detail there's no reason that you wouldn't get an A or B - other than that I suggest you dedicate your time into studying for chemistry from now so you're not behind by going over notes in class and doing summary questions from the George facer textbook, past papers and stuff can be done later on

Quick Reply

Latest