The Student Room Group

Getting into journalism.

Hi, I am an aspiring journalist (specifically sports journalist) and was wondering what everyone thinks is the best route into it. I am currently studying English lit, History, Psychology and Politics at sixth form.

Would you say it is better to do an NCTJ journalism course at uni, or a History/English course? (Or other)

Also I know work experience is important, so how could I go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Personally this is what I'm planning on doing, based on advice from the journalist I did W/E with and the fact that I want to do creative writing as well:

-English Literature degree course
-MA in Creative Writing
-Postgraduate NCTJ qualification

IMO it's better to do a degree in English or an arts subject you like and then do the NCTJ; it'll put you in better stead than someone who just does a journalism degree, because it's more respected, particularly at great universities. There aren't that many good universities that do journalism degrees.
Original post by Maltwalton
Hi, I am an aspiring journalist (specifically sports journalist) and was wondering what everyone thinks is the best route into it. I am currently studying English lit, History, Psychology and Politics at sixth form.

Would you say it is better to do an NCTJ journalism course at uni, or a History/English course? (Or other)

Also I know work experience is important, so how could I go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes definitely do a subject of interest first then the NCTJ. And as far as work experience goes- get involved with the university paper when you get to uni and also write to local papers seeing if you can do work experience with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending