The Student Room Group

Trying to choose a new sport?

I have been playing hockey for 11years and I've slightly got to breaking point with it. I'm fed up with my club and the way it is run and simply don't find it fun anymore. Moving clubs would not help because unfortunately the other clubs nearby are not good enough and I feel because I'm on my gap year it might be good to try a new sport...

So I'm wondering if there were any sports that people could recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Is it a team sport you are looking for? If so netball, football, basketball Ect.

if you don't want a team sport, what about swimming, judo, cycling , squash, tennis ?
Original post by Mushrooms
I have been playing hockey for 11years and I've slightly got to breaking point with it. I'm fed up with my club and the way it is run and simply don't find it fun anymore. Moving clubs would not help because unfortunately the other clubs nearby are not good enough and I feel because I'm on my gap year it might be good to try a new sport...

Badminton! - basics are easy to learn, then it depends on how much you want to refine your technique, you don't need a proper court to play (if you're a beginner that is, but then it's much more fun and challenging if you do play properly in a badminton court) and it is a brilliant sport!

or tennis (quite popular but difficult to pick up, and you definitely need a tennis court)

If you join a health and fitness club like David Lloyd or Virgin Active, some have racquet courts - tennis, badminton, squash - and there will most likely be a swimming pool as well, speaking of which, if haven't already you should definitely swim.

Swimming is one of the most amazing exercises ever, and unlike badminton and tennis where you need at least one other person, swimming can be done alone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hurling seems like a natural progression from hockey. Not recommended for those of a delicate disposition.
Badminton! - basics are easy to learn, then it depends on how much you want to refine your technique, you don't need a proper court to play (if you're a beginner that is, but then it's much more fun and challenging if you do play properly in a badminton court) and it is a brilliant sport!

or tennis (quite popular but difficult to pick up, and you definitely need a tennis court)

If you join a health and fitness club like David Lloyd or Virgin Active, some have racquet courts - tennis, badminton, squash - and there will most likely be a swimming pool as well, speaking of which, if haven't already you should definitely swim.

Swimming is one of the most amazing exercises ever, and unlike badminton and tennis where you need at least one other person, swimming can be done alone.

Original post by Mushrooms

(edited 9 years ago)
If you have a local roller derby team give that a go, it's amazing.
Reply 6
With winter approaching, I'd rule out tennis/cricket/golf.

You could take up badminton and squash - both of which are indoors and can be played casually with friends while you try to learn the basics. Equally, swimming is a great way to stay in shape although not really a sport as such. Same with cycling.

It depends whether you want another team sport, in which case football is the obvious answer, because you can get a certain camaraderie and banter you wouldn't get playing individual sports.
Skateboarding, surfing (if you can go abroad)
Reply 8
Croquet.
I'm hoping to take up cycling/biking, once I have the money. Not in any way related to hockey though - but maybe you want something different.
Long distance running events can be a fun one to do too.
Ice Hockey, Basketball. I'm assuming you have good aim and stamina.
Also are you more interested in team sports or single player sports?

On a side note, I'd really like to play hockey again at university. I played a bit in secondary school but haven't played since. How hard do you think it will be to get back into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely try badminton or you could try athletics, because you have a wide range of events to choose from. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Elliwhi
Definitely try badminton

That^

I played football for 8+ years. Stopped. Took up badminton. Loved it. :yep:
Dude, you gotta try out snowboarding, or even skateboard (surfing if you want) and longboarding it's so gnarly. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 8472
That^

I played football for 8+ years. Stopped. Took up badminton. Loved it. :yep:

I've been playing badminton since I was 7, but with family and just doing general rallying. Went to secondary school and finally started learning all the techniques and footwork and love it :biggrin:
Reply 15
Table tennis, fun and sociable. Increasing numbers of table tennis tables are cropping up in social environments...so it would be beneficial to learn to play to a decent level. Can be difficult to get quite good at start but you can practise everywhere, using a wall etc.

Not too physically demanding, if you want to get fitter/stay fit then badminton is good

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do archery and it's an expensive sport but great fun.
Archery! It's amazing because it's such a social sport, you get to have a chat with everyone while waiting for people to finish shooting.
Plus, it's much more of a conversation starter than 'I play tennis.'
Original post by stickstickstick
Archery! It's amazing because it's such a social sport, you get to have a chat with everyone while waiting for people to finish shooting.
Plus, it's much more of a conversation starter than 'I play tennis.'

Archery is also very, very boring.

OP: what about American Football?
Original post by Joshale
Archery is also very, very boring.

OP: what about American Football?

No way. Archery is addictive.

Quick Reply

Latest