The Student Room Group

The News reports british muslims beg to return to UK but are scared of going to jail

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeritageofEurope
the op did not attack freedom of speech though

I am being told that by allowing people to harbour different views from me whilst being critical of them is somehow letting them walk all over me. Comments are being thrown around in this thread about Guantanamo bay and denying them citizenship for exercising their freedoms. So I would consider that an attack on freedom of speech. And then when I express my opinions I am castigated and 'liberal' is used towards me as an adhominem.

Many of these people who have left the UK have been critical of the UK and supportive of certain aspects of ISIS. But I think there is little evidence to say these British individuals were actually complicit in any acts of genocide or others acts. Plus for all we know, they may have renounced their views. Ultimately, they are British citizens and we have a duty to protect their human rights. That is the freedom of speech, their right to life (free from torture) etc...
(edited 9 years ago)
I absolutely do not think that people should be able to renounce their allegiance to this country, fight for its enemies against its most cherished principles, and then return to a full pardon and a state pension as some kind of travelling roadshow telling others that it isn't nice to be a terrorist. To grant such a concession is tantamount to a conditional surrender. The army of ISIS is little more than a tribal band; Britain is a great power. We have no need to do so and should not make it known to others that they can fight for organisations such as ISIS and return to amnesty at any time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
I am being told that by allowing people to harbour different views from me whilst being critical of them is somehow letting them walk all over me. Comments are being thrown around in this thread about Guantanamo bay and denying them citizenship for exercising their freedoms. So I would consider that an attack on freedom of speech. And then when I express my opinions I am castigated and 'liberal' is used towards me as an adhominem.

Many of these people who have left the UK have been critical of the UK and supportive of certain aspects of ISIS. But I think there is little evidence to say these British individuals were actually complicit in any acts of genocide or others acts. Plus for all we know, they may have renounced their views. Ultimately, they are British citizens and we have a duty to protect their human rights. That is the freedom of speech, their right to life (free from torture) etc...

As I understand we are talking about people who admit to being a member of the IS army, not people who just promoted IS in speeches.
Original post by James222
innocent until proven guilty. Its not rare for bad people to turn good. All sorts of ex jihadists are now the most strongest proponents of anti jihadi ideaology.

ISIS isnt some sort of religion, people go to syria to fight assad and then end up being trapped by ISIS.

They have a right to return home, its not illegal to be a contractor

Yes there may be a some who genuinely regret what they have done and go on to become strong proponent of anti jihadi ideology but what about the ones who are lying and deceiving in order to get into the country for "other" reasons because of the difficulty in identifying the genuine from the fake the safest policy would be to stop any of them returning.

Imagine the uproar if one of these people that have returned, carry out an act of terrorism.
I would give my opinion if the times would actually let me read the whole article. WTF. what has news become ''Want the whole article and instant access? 30 Days for just £1'' *******s
Original post by TSA
Yes there may be a some who genuinely regret what they have done and go on to become strong proponent of anti jihadi ideology but what about the ones who are lying and deceiving in order to get into the country for "other" reasons because of the difficulty in identifying the genuine from the fake the safest policy would be to stop any of them returning.

Imagine the uproar if one of these people that have returned, carry out an act of terrorism.

Many have returned home and not committed terrorism. I think their is a huge difference beetween being a jihadi who fights assad and one who blows up tube stations.

We have security services who watch people all day so we have safe guards
Original post by Observatory
As I understand we are talking about people who admit to being a member of the IS army, not people who just promoted IS in speeches.

But can we say with certainty that every member of the Nazi party was complicit in the Holocaust? Likewise, can we say that every IS member is complicit in the reprehensible actions of IS?
But can we say with certainty that every member of the Nazi party was complicit in the Holocaust? Likewise, can we say that every IS member is complicit in the reprehensible actions of IS?

I can say that any British subject who willingly joined the Wehrmacht was a traitor and could be hanged (and some were).
Original post by lucaf
It should at least be considered. A lot of these people probably only went over to fight Assad, which isn't exactly something I would hold against them, and now want to return now they see what IS is up to. They should be cautious over it though, but it is probably better than leaving them fighting there. Might even get some intel out of it.

No British citizen should participate in foreign civil wars.
Many have returned home and not committed terrorism. I think their is a huge difference beetween being a jihadi who fights assad and one who blows up tube stations.

how many have returned home exactly ?
Original post by HeritageofEurope
how many have returned home exactly ?

30 ?
also the former Head of Mi6 and hazel blears agrees with me

If you tell people they cannot come back full stop no offer of reduced sentence then your forcing them into a corner making winning harder.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No British citizen should participate in foreign civil wars.

does that include brits serving in the Isreali Army ? Or Brits working as mercenaries for the corupt elite of the developing world.
30 ?
also the former Head of Mi6 and hazel blears agrees with me

If you tell people they cannot come back full stop no offer of reduced sentence then your forcing them into a corner making winning harder.

LOL !!!
Reply 53
Many British citizens volunteers and fought in the Spanish civil war and were allowed to return back to the UK. If we literally at war with ISIS and they were attacking British citizens and territory, I think the argument against allowing them to return would be stronger. But ultimately, Britain has always been an open and tolerant country, especially to those who are politically subversive.

If we go back in history, we can see that Britain has a long history of housing foreign and home-grown political revolutionaries. Many communists living in the UK called for revolution, the murder/overthrow of monarchy, the toppling/replacement of the bourgeois capitalists. Why did we house these individuals who were so against everything this country stood for? Because Britain has always been a tolerant nation that has been a safe-haven for such people. Where other countries would persecute them for their views, Britain has always allowed them a certain level of freedom. People like Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin etc... all lived in Britain for some time.

There was also the issues in the 19th century of the anarchists. Yet again, Britain housed those that many other nations wouldn't. Many anarchists, some of whom were active terrorists involved in campaigns of Propaganda by Deed were allowed to freely reside in Britain. Many well known anarchists resided in the UK such as Kropotkin, Malatesta etc... Some foreign anarchists such as Bourdin even went as far as instigating a bomb attack on British soil.

We also must consider that some may have made mistakes and regret their actions. Surely all people deserve a second chance? In fact, out prison system doesn't often keep people locked up for life, but rather for a number of years and then they are released again, ready to have another chance in society. They are after all British citizens.

if the spanish came over to the uk in large numbers and took over certain areas to the point where they were almost autonomous oblasts and then started trying to erode british culture saying how much they hated it, the dress, the food everything.

started critiquing everything on british civil society and saying how it is ok to kill them because they are not spanish

if they were spreading their culture through violence and terrorism

if they were blowing things up

if they were fans of spanish terrorist groups that attacked the uk

if they went around raping non spanish children in acts of sexual terrorism and started sending the videos of the rapes to the parents.

if they started doing stuff like demanding all meat be spanish and that they won't sell certain things in shops because they are against spanish culture.

if they support every anti british and pro spanish terrorist group and or government.

if they do all of this. and leave to go to spain. fight on the side of the Fascists that britain has been at war with. and were recording videos where they cut off the heads of innocent journalists having a nice big speech about what pain and suffering is coming to england.

then yea. yea maybe its comparable then.

BUT NONE OF THAT WAS THE CASE

so its not comparable in anyway. other than the glaring obviousness that its a war.

i don't know what planet these guys think they are on. when they go doing all of that. talking the big man talk. and then want to come back to the uk like its all good?

THIS IS NOT A GAME

these are not the same terrorists that we have been used to. i wouldnt even call them terrorists.

they are not the same as EZLN, PLO, IRA, PKK, ETA, RFA. anyone who knows anything about the operation of these terrorist groups know the obvious difference between them and al qaeda.

al qaeda is just insanity. religious insanity.

imagine the west borough baptist church having the same support that al qaeda does.

THAT IS CRAZY.

apparently they are "fighting to make the word of allah the highest"

this seems to involve ethnic cleansing and destruction of culture history and holy sights.

these guys are the new nazis.
(edited 9 years ago)

That's not to say those returning in the future will not.

Prevention is better than cure.
Britain is a welcoming, tolerant, forgiving, understanding nation.

We should let them back in.

sigh

does that include brits serving in the Isreali Army ? Or Brits working as mercenaries for the corupt elite of the developing world.

If either Israel or corporations position themselves as enemies of the state then yes. Even so I am not comfortable with British Jews fighting for another nation.

No, you are preventing them from entering the country. They can live in the desert for all I care
Reply 59

remember this post is in the context of my old post.
sorry but if you betray britain to this level you should be kicked out plain and simple this isnt about free speech this is about treason adult isis supporters are not benignand peaceful and do not only stick to their words i have videos of anjem inciting his dogs to violence and lets not forget choppy coppy guys from woolwich all from ALM leave the ones that are 16 and under alone though . ( this is coming from a muslim).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746379/Doctor-called-desperately-ill-British-hostage-held-brutal-Jihadi-John-Aid-worker-tortured-Tasers-digestive-problems.html someone check if this is true or not. ofc the extremists on this forum see no problem with this. newcastle?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending