The Student Room Group

Problem solved

Prob solved
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I say if you're on campus racism is very little if not at all.

If you go to a dodgy area then perhaps racism might reveal itself
I think you'll fine Exeter is less white than you fear - for example, there's a huge Middle East Studies department, which has plenty of overseas students from the region (OK, I know that's not South Asia, but it's evidence of ethnic diversity) as well as non-white British students: and that's only in one department. I really would try not to worry about it: I think it will be a non-issue unless you want it to be. If you do want to transfer after the first year, some universities will accept you (not all, though, and some will make you do their first year again) but you would probably need to justify it some other way.

Honestly - I'm sure you'll be fine: like I said, you won't be as alone as you think you will, firstly, and secondly, I'd be very surprised if anyone makes an issue of it.
Reply 3
Original post by Da Di Doo
I am a South Asian who is applying to go to Exeter. I do NOT mean to be racist at all so if it comes across like that then I'm very sorry.

I live in London and so I am used to an extremely racially diverse society. I know Exeter University is full of mainly White people so I'm afraid I will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm not scared that people will be racist and nor am I racist against White people but I am just terrified of the change.

I was wondering that if I get accepted by Exeter and decide to go there, after starting can I easily transfer to a different University (to study Law) if I find it difficuilt to adjust to the change?

I was in the exact same situation as you, I'm half Arab and half pakistani. I live in london and was considering going university of east anglia, which is very white populated. Everyone seemed really nice and friendly when i visited the uni. However i was the only muslim. Since I am moving out i wanted at least some muslim friends. I don't drink or anything and I wanted friends i could relate to. I decided to go Brunel instead. Three of my friends go Exeter and they are south asian, so hopefully they'll be asians attending, are you moving out?
Reply 4
Original post by bittr n swt
I say if you're on campus racism is very little if not at all.

If you go to a dodgy area then perhaps racism might reveal itself

Yeah I guess, thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by KatetheLecturer
I think you'll fine Exeter is less white than you fear - for example, there's a huge Middle East Studies department, which has plenty of overseas students from the region (OK, I know that's not South Asia, but it's evidence of ethnic diversity) as well as non-white British students: and that's only in one department. I really would try not to worry about it: I think it will be a non-issue unless you want it to be. If you do want to transfer after the first year, some universities will accept you (not all, though, and some will make you do their first year again) but you would probably need to justify it some other way.

Honestly - I'm sure you'll be fine: like I said, you won't be as alone as you think you will, firstly, and secondly, I'd be very surprised if anyone makes an issue of it.

Thank you, I'm kind of less worried now
Reply 6
Original post by mhassan
I was in the exact same situation as you, I'm half Arab and half pakistani. I live in london and was considering going university of east anglia, which is very white populated. Everyone seemed really nice and friendly when i visited the uni. However i was the only muslim. Since I am moving out i wanted at least some muslim friends. I don't drink or anything and I wanted friends i could relate to. I decided to go Brunel instead. Three of my friends go Exeter and they are south asian, so hopefully they'll be asians attending, are you moving out?

I'm Muslim too!

Maybe I'll befriend you friends then :smile:

Yeah I'm gonna move out. It'll be kind of hard to commute when Exeter is 3/4 hours away lol
Reply 7
I am a South Asian who is applying to go to Exeter. I do NOT mean to be racist at all so if it comes across like that then I'm very sorry.

I live in London and so I am used to an extremely racially diverse society. I know Exeter University is full of mainly White people so I'm afraid I will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm not scared that people will be racist and nor am I racist against White people but I am just terrified of the change.

I was wondering that if I get accepted by Exeter and decide to go there, after starting can I easily transfer to a different University (to study Law) if I find it difficuilt to adjust to the change?

I'm in a similar position, I'm going to Bristol in 2 weeks time. Hopefully everything will go fine. Good luck with your application, will Exeter be your firm? Where else are you applying?
Reply 8
Original post by AnharM
I'm in a similar position, I'm going to Bristol in 2 weeks time. Hopefully everything will go fine. Good luck with your application, will Exeter be your firm? Where else are you applying?

Goodluck to you!!

Exeter, Sussex, Cardiff, Liverpool and Manchester.

I really want to go to Manchester but I doubt I will get the grades (mucked up really badly last year) so if I don't get into Manchester then yes, Exeter will be my firm.
I don't think there is any kind of racism inside the universities but outside you may find the odd ones. Manchester is pretty awesome if you're looking to study law by the way.
Reply 10
Goodluck to you!!

Exeter, Sussex, Cardiff, Liverpool and Manchester.

I really want to go to Manchester but I doubt I will get the grades (mucked up really badly last year) so if I don't get into Manchester then yes, Exeter will be my firm.

All unis outside of London? Are you even Bengali? loooooool
Trust me hun, you are no where near racist. It's very common for minorities to feel this way. I went to an all white high school (I currently live in Canada but will hopefully moving back to the UK for uni) and that was my fear as well before joining. I did get a few racist comments here and there but I always stood up for myself.

I know this may not sound positive, but there is racism everywhere - some are subtle, some are blatant. What I will tell you to do this, go in there being comfortable with who you are and talk/befriend people who are kind to you. If you happen to get a racist comment from someone- just begin to avoid them - you do not need that kind of disrespect. However, don't let what I am saying put you off. There are good and bad apples everywhere and I am extremely positive that there will be a ton of good apples who you will hopefully be able to relate to at UNI!

Best of luck! xx
Reply 12
Original post by AnharM
All unis outside of London? Are you even Bengali? loooooool

How do you know I'm Bengali?

And yeah I must leave London because I won't get into the good London universities like UCL and LSE.

Manchester and Exeter are great for Law, Sussex is really close to London and has a great student life.
I have relatives in Cardiff and Liverpool is a respected RG (as is Manchester but Liverpool has lower entry requirements)
Reply 13
Original post by thatshizcray
I don't think there is any kind of racism inside the universities but outside you may find the odd ones. Manchester is pretty awesome if you're looking to study law by the way.

Yeah, fingers crossed I get in
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
How do you know I'm Bengali?

And yeah I must leave London because I won't get into the good London universities like UCL and LSE.

Manchester and Exeter are great for Law, Sussex is really close to London and has a great student life.
I have relatives in Cardiff and Liverpool is a respected RG (as is Manchester but Liverpool has lower entry requirements)

You've joined the Bengali society on TSR

Don't King's do Law? QMUL are good for Law as well, their requirements are A*AA I think.
But yeah, what AS results did you get?
Reply 15
Original post by vanessanoelle
Trust me hun, you are no where near racist. It's very common for minorities to feel this way. I went to an all white high school (I currently live in Canada but will hopefully moving back to the UK for uni) and that was my fear as well before joining. I did get a few racist comments here and there but I always stood up for myself.

I know this may not sound positive, but there is racism everywhere - some are subtle, some are blatant. What I will tell you to do this, go in there being comfortable with who you are and talk/befriend people who are kind to you. If you happen to get a racist comment from someone- just begin to avoid them - you do not need that kind of disrespect. However, don't let what I am saying put you off. There are good and bad apples everywhere and I am extremely positive that there will be a ton of good apples who you will hopefully be able to relate to at UNI!

Best of luck! xx

Thank you! And I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

What part of the UK are you coming to? London is amazing *hint* *hint* :tongue:
Thank you! And I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

What part of the UK are you coming to? London is amazing *hint* *hint* :tongue:

Your welcome! Oh yes London is fantastic - used to live near Marble Arch! I miss it! I hope to come back to the UK! (left in 2010)I'm applying to Kings College London and UCL and some other schools outside London! I hope I get in!!!!!!
Exeter university has a lot of international students. The city has a mosque. http://exetermosque.org.uk/ I think you should relax and enjoy Exeter if you get in.
Reply 18
Original post by AnharM
You've joined the Bengali society on TSR

Don't King's do Law? QMUL are good for Law as well, their requirements are A*AA I think.
But yeah, what AS results did you get?

Oh yeah, I forgot I joined that group. Are you Bengali too?

Yeah I know those universities do Law. I can't get into King's College because the entry requirements are too high (A*AA) and I am really unsure about QMUL because it is pretty lowly ranked, compared to my other choices (except Sussex).

But I think I prefer Sussex University to QMUL because of personal reasons :wink: looool
Reply 19
Oh yeah, I forgot I joined that group. Are you Bengali too?

Yeah I know those universities do Law. I can't get into King's College because the entry requirements are too high (A*AA) and I am really unsure about QMUL because it is pretty lowly ranked, compared to my other choices (except Sussex).

But I think I prefer Sussex University to QMUL because of personal reasons :wink: looool

Yeah I'm Bengali loool

Personal reasons, why you hiding something? You wanna party n that don't you? :colone: :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest