The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Foundation Year

I want to apply for a Chemical Engineering Foundation Year at a university such as Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham etc, before going on to do a BEng/MEng course.
I'm doing A2 Econ, A2 Business and A2 History, so I'm not studying any sciences or maths. On the website it says they accept any A-Levels, does anyone have any personal experience of doing this or something similar? Do Unis actually accept people onto the Foundation courses without sciences or maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FutureChemE
I want to apply for a Chemical Engineering Foundation Year at a university such as Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham etc, before going on to do a BEng/MEng course.
I'm doing A2 Econ, A2 Business and A2 History, so I'm not studying any sciences or maths. On the website it says they accept any A-Levels, does anyone have any personal experience of doing this or something similar? Do Unis actually accept people onto the Foundation courses without sciences or maths?

Well if they say they accept any A-Levels I think you already have your answer.

I think you'll be fine, you can learn the maths and physics. But what I would suggest is to make sure this is what you want to do. If I was a recruitment agent interviewing you, I'd ask why your changing from those A2 options to something completely different and unrelated. Just make sure its what you want to do is all I'm getting at :smile:
I too am applying to birmingham and manchester for a foundation year, just because I don't think I could get into the normal course at them uni's.
The foundation years are usually designed for people who don't have the right subjects rather than having the right subjects but lower grades. So you're exactly what they're looking for.
So if I take maths and chem (& a 3rd) and I'm predicted abb will I be at a disadvantage compared to others from different subject areas
Original post by harvingill
So if I take maths and chem (& a 3rd) and I'm predicted abb will I be at a disadvantage compared to others from different subject areas

No, at least not for Manchester's foundation course. I'm not sure about others but for theirs I know people who take relevant subjects but just might not meet the grades to get onto the Chemical Engineering course can still be eligible for their foundation course.
Original post by arcanum96
No, at least not for Manchester's foundation course. I'm not sure about others but for theirs I know people who take relevant subjects but just might not meet the grades to get onto the Chemical Engineering course can still be eligible for their foundation course.

my first choice if I got an offer would be from birmingham so hopefully this doesn't put me at a disadvantage.
(edited 9 years ago)
my first choice if I got an offer would be from birmingham so hopefully this doesn't put me at a disadvantage.

I don't know much about Birmingham's, I only know more about Manchester's because of a friend. Have you tried contacting admissions to see?
I don't know much about Birmingham's, I only know more about Manchester's because of a friend. Have you tried contacting admissions to see?

nope, I sent off my application today :confused::s-smilie: do you recommend I e-mail them?
nope, I sent off my application today :confused::s-smilie: do you recommend I e-mail them?

I was just looking at the course and the eligibility and unfortunately it says "applicants offering both Mathematics and Chemistry at A Level are not eligible to apply"...

I'd reccommend emailing the admission tutors for foundation years, just to check they accept people taking the normal A levels, I was about to apply to birmingham, but the admissions tutor got back to me just before, telling me that my combination of subjects would not be accepted.(Maths/Fm/Phys)
Manchester however do =)
(edited 9 years ago)
I was just looking at the course and the eligibility and unfortunately it says "applicants offering both Mathematics and Chemistry at A Level are not eligible to apply"...

looks like I got my first rejection then wahey

If you only applied today I think according to UCAS you have 7 days to change, so perhaps change that option so it isn't a wasted application?
If you only applied today I think according to UCAS you have 7 days to change, so perhaps change that option so it isn't a wasted application?

i'll have to speak to my ucas coordinator at my sixth form

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,I'm a first year student at college and am curious about doing chemical engineering. But, since I only do 3 sciences and economics I'm thinking about applying for foundation year? Is there fierce competition for foundation year places?

Do you do chemical engineering?
Original post by jimgordan
Do you do chemical engineering?

I'm a current applicant, hope to start next year.
I'm a current applicant, hope to start next year.

Ah, are you currently a second year student? Are you applying for foundation year or going straight into the first year? Hope you don't mind me asking :colondollar:
Original post by jimgordan
Ah, are you currently a second year student? Are you applying for foundation year or going straight into the first year? Hope you don't mind me asking :colondollar:

What do you mean by a second year student? Sorry I didn't quite follow what you meant by that :tongue: I'm applying for first year entry, how about yourself? :smile:

Latest