The Student Room Group

Older TSRians, what's changed since you were a teen?

Scroll to see replies

I think the main difference is that life wasn't lived digitally when I was a teenager, which is a good thing really. My stupid teenage decisions aren't recorded anywhere, my stupid thoughts can't be Googled, pictures and videos of my stupid haircuts, actions and clothing aren't stored on a memory stick/Facebook, interaction with friends involved going outside on our bikes until such age as we were able to get into the pub. We'd arrange going out either at school or with home phones.

It was also acceptable (and indeed fashionable) to wear Adidas poppers.

90s5.JPG
It was all about the Nokia 3310.
Well I grew up largely without colour tv, computers, the internet or mobile phones. tbh I would hate to do it all again.

This was my first phone, back when everyone had the "hello Moto" ringtone and it was the coolest thing ever. :^_^:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Old_Simon
Well I grew up largely without colour tv, computers, the internet or mobile phones. tbh I would hate to do it all again.

I really wanted to post "Yeah, but we had......" but I'm struggling to think of anything.

Star Bars?
KP Wickers?
Original post by Clip
I really wanted to post "Yeah, but we had......" but I'm struggling to think of anything.

Star Bars?
KP Wickers?

Yes exactly. WTF did we have that was any use ? lol.
Reply 66

That also isn't available now. No point saying "Blondie was great" because you can listen to them now, much easier and without having to wait next to the radio with a cassette recorder.
Reply 67

This is really stretching it, but:

Action Man was a lot better.
Peanut M&Ms were called Treets
Emos were a lot more aggressive and called Punks.
Reply 68

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by SMEGGGY
That happens on all social network sites, no? Facebook, people send and receive messages similar. Faceparty was no different, not saying it is acceptable.

Yeah it does happen on other sites; however it happened to me far, far more often on faceparty than on any other social networking site I've ever used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
I remember organising a shopping trip and my friend missing the train and I didn't know about it because she didn't have a mobile (I had borrowed my dad's) and so I made it to the city and turned around and went straight home devastated.
Playing snake and texting in class was easy because mobiles were new and teachers were oblivious. Said mobile was huge, weighed a ton and had a aerial, no putting it in your pocket.
It cost me £70 to buy season 1 of The X Files on VHS.
You had dial up internet that took hours to load.
Fanfic wasn't cool, it was weird and obscure.
Privacy existed, you weren't tracked and documented by Facebook, so you could screw up and get away with it.
:smile: life was simpler and in some ways better.
Feeling so ahead of the times and futuristic when I bought one of these babies in 2004/5 because it had A COLOUR SCREEN and ipods didn't.

But still only having about 50 songs on it because it took about 6 hours to download an album off limewire.

Original post by Clip

Sally James :colone:
I also remember when I first started going to nightclubs for under 18s nights there were vending machines in the toilets that sold a little pen and a notepad to get people's numbers!
I'm 21 now for me it was Bebo, Dial up internet, MSN, Jane Norman bags, Kswiss, dream matte mousse, black & white iPods drinking wkds with your mates and this bad boy was the coolest phone ever with its 2mp camera and mp3 player!!sonyericsson-w580-00.jpg[
Bebo for me too. I remember hating Facebook when I first signed up in 2008, and went back to Bebo for several more months. I eventually deleted my Bebo account in 2010 when I was 19.

The very beginning of my teens (September 2004) coincided with when you no longer had to buy physical music to get it into the charts. I was a bit late to the downloading-music thing because I wasn't sure if our Windows 98 computer could cope with an MP3 player. I eventually got an MP3 player in 2007 just after we got a Windows Vista PC. I was still taping music from the radio until then.

For most of my teens we only had one computer in the house.

I still have a flip-phone and have no plans to get a smartphone!
Original post by Clip
Are you thinking of the relatively recent high capacity backup tapes that tended to plug into drives on the server? These would store maybe 160Gb.

The original audio cassette tapes that NT is thinking of wouls maybe do 20Mb - and that was over a 90 minute period. Of course, most programs were a fraction of that size.

oh goodness I don't know lol. Yes probably I'm thinking of the higher capacity ones.
Reply 78
My first laptop, bought for going to uni had a huge 10gb hard drive :smile:
Original post by MsSnape
My first laptop, bought for going to uni had a huge 10gb hard drive :smile:

Haha I remember my home pc having something like a 2gb hard drive and I had to delete loads of stuff whenever I wanted to save anything.

Quick Reply

Latest