The Student Room Group

Do I need maths at a-level to do medicine at cambridge?

I am taking biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I really love english lit and I didn't take it at a level because I felt like I had to take maths. I don't particularly enjoy maths as much as english and now I want to change it. Is it worth changing my option (bearing in mind I haven't started my a level lessons yet)? Should I keep maths and go with it even though I don't enjoy it because I need it for medicine - since there is a LOT of competition for places at Cambridge?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Treestumps
I am taking biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I really love english lit and I didn't take it at a level because I felt like I had to take maths. I don't particularly enjoy maths as much as english and now I want to change it. Is it worth changing my option (bearing in mind I haven't started my a level lessons yet)? Should I keep maths and go with it even though I don't enjoy it because I need it for medicine - since there is a LOT of competition for places at Cambridge?

If you want to make a realistic application to Cambridge medicine, I think you should do A Level Maths. You could substitute Physics for English Literature if you wanted. But Bio/Chem/Maths are considered the 3 most relevant subjects for medicine at Cambridge, so I think it would be sensible to do those.

Of course, other medical schools won't care at all as long as you have Biology and Chemistry.
(edited 9 years ago)

Mathematics is not a requirement for Medicine at Cambridge. You ideally want to have 3 Sciences/Mathematics subjects, so Biology, Chemistry and Physics ought to be fine. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to take English Literature since firstly, I think the entrance exams for Medicine do have an essay/critical thinking component and secondly, if you really love it you're more likely to get a very good grade.
As far as I know, most Universities (not sure about Cambridge) require only 3 subjects fro medicine i.e. Biology, Physics and Chemistry, and these are the subjects you should be more concerned about. But having an additional subjects could get you some preference over the students with 3 subjects.

Moved to Medicine forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending