The Student Room Group

How to use this roundabout?

--
(edited 4 years ago)
Follow the signs on the road. There will be one for either the A123 or the destination that takes you to (the next town, for instance). Typically this will be shown on the map leading up to the roundabout.

Some big roundabouts will tell you part way through which lane you need to be in for a particular turnoff, although this is mostly when there are lights on the roundabout too.

You'll tend to see that your lane will point you into an outer lane after each junction, so just keep following it around. If in doubt, just wing it - That's really all you can do. If someone is in the lane you're trying to move into, you have the choice of trying to go ahead/behind them (careful not to speed/cause delays/pose a threat) or if you're really stuck, just go around the roundabout again. There will be people who miss their lane and will cut you up.

In all honesty though, you just need to apply judgement and common sense. There will be a lot of junctions and roundabouts where you will not know how the locals do it, so just do what you can. Some you'll get right, some will be marginal, some you'll have to reconsider and perhaps give it a second attempt.
Reply 2
What i would do is when i am near my exit i want to take i switch left indicator and looking at mirrors and change lanes, if there is car you just slow down so they can give you way or switch after them!
Is this roundabout has traffic lights, because i am living near and i think been there and i think there is traffic lights on this one, so that would make things easier as you only have to follow road marks for the destination you want go to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SillyEddy
Follow the signs on the road. There will be one for either the A123 or the destination that takes you to (the next town, for instance). Typically this will be shown on the map leading up to the roundabout.

Some big roundabouts will tell you part way through which lane you need to be in for a particular turnoff, although this is mostly when there are lights on the roundabout too.

You'll tend to see that your lane will point you into an outer lane after each junction, so just keep following it around. If in doubt, just wing it - That's really all you can do. If someone is in the lane you're trying to move into, you have the choice of trying to go ahead/behind them (careful not to speed/cause delays/pose a threat) or if you're really stuck, just go around the roundabout again. There will be people who miss their lane and will cut you up.

In all honesty though, you just need to apply judgement and common sense. There will be a lot of junctions and roundabouts where you will not know how the locals do it, so just do what you can. Some you'll get right, some will be marginal, some you'll have to reconsider and perhaps give it a second attempt.

Ah, I got it. Cheers!
Original post by bubeto123
What i would do is when i am near my exit i want to take i switch left indicator and looking at mirrors and change lanes, if there is car you just slow down so they can give you way or switch after them!
Is this roundabout has traffic lights, because i am living near and i think been there and i think there is traffic lights on this one, so that would make things easier as you only have to follow road marks for the destination you want go to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got it, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by HarrisxK
I have passed my driving test, and am an overall fairly confident driver. However, this roundabout is pretty off-putting:mad:

I went and looked the roundabout up on Streetview and following the roadmarkings these are the lanes you should be in.

On approach to the roundabout, right lane following markings for A123 (N)
Stay in the right lane up until the first exit.
Between the first and second exit, you want to merge into the middle lane still following markings for A123 (N)
Between the second and third exit you're just following the same lane but this changes into the left lane now (obviously don't go to the far left or you'll end up on the A1400
Then just turn turn off at your last exit :biggrin:

Hopefully this picture is more helpful but all you're really doing is moving over one lane after each exit :yy:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stacks
I went and looked the roundabout up on Streetview and following the roadmarkings these are the lanes you should be in.

On approach to the roundabout, right lane following markings for A123 (N)
Stay in the right lane up until the first exit.
Between the first and second exit, you want to merge into the middle lane still following markings for A123 (N)
Between the second and third exit you're just following the same lane but this changes into the left lane now (obviously don't go to the far left or you'll end up on the A1400
Then just turn turn off at your last exit :biggrin:

Hopefully this picture is more helpful but all you're really doing is moving over one lane after each exit :yy:

Ah, this has been the most helpful! Thanks for putting the effort in.

Tried it this morning and nailed it:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by HarrisxK
Ah, this has been the most helpful! Thanks for putting the effort in.

Tried it this morning and nailed it:smile:

No bother mate, didn't have anything better to do at 11pm last night lol. Glad it helped you though!
Third lane for third exit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending