The Student Room Group

Regretting gap year

I've never been a confident person due to bullying. But I did ok in my results with all B's in my A levels.

I made a quick decision to take a gap year this year as I didn't feel ready to goto England and didn't know if I would get the results BUT now I do regret doing this. I thought I wouldn't be the only one who didn't go on a gap year but only 3 people out of my school year (120) didn't goto UNI.

This has made me feel like a drop out and like i'm missing out especially since even people who mess about in school and don't work ended up in UNI. There isn't anything to do here, i've applied for a night-class doing AS Maths but thats only one night a week. :s-smilie: I've been trying to look for jobs but I keep getting rejected.I got above the entry requirements for the course and the UNI wouldn't let me in. I feel like i'm missing out on a lot. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Frostyjoe
I've never been a confident person due to bullying. But I did ok in my results with all B's in my A levels.

I made a quick decision to take a gap year this year as I didn't feel ready to goto England and didn't know if I would get the results BUT now I do regret doing this. I thought I wouldn't be the only one who didn't go on a gap year but only 3 people out of my school year (120) didn't goto UNI.

This has made me feel like a drop out and like i'm missing out especially since even people who mess about in school and don't work ended up in UNI. There isn't anything to do here, i've applied for a night-class doing AS Maths but thats only one night a week. :s-smilie: I've been trying to look for jobs but I keep getting rejected.I got above the entry requirements for the course and the UNI wouldn't let me in. I feel like i'm missing out on a lot. :frown:

I felt the exact same despite deciding to go on a gap year months before it started and with lots of my friends on gap years too. It's made worse by social media and seeing everyone getting ready and moving onto their next stage in life. It will pass and you should write to yourself why you wanted to take a gap year in the first place. This year will go by no matter what. While applying for jobs, you could take up volunteering as something to do/for your CV/altruism. :smile:

Here is last year's gap year thread with loads of ideas of what to do: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2447597

And here's this year's thread where you can talk/vent to other people who are in the same situation: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2742769
The year is not even over! Being pessimistic?
uni's crap, believe me you did yourself a solid.
Original post by Anonynous
uni's crap, believe me you did yourself a solid.

Idiot
Why'd OP take a gap year?

Like others have said already, you can't do anything about not going to uni now, so it's up to you to do something :wink:
Is there anything you'd like to achieve/do? Any volunteering or relevant work experience you could arrange? It can be tough with the pressure to go to uni (my school pretty much abandoned anyone who didn't) but what seems pretty bad at the start could turn into a fantastic year with just a little searching. Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you apply to uni last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lozasaurus99
Did you apply to uni last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I started the application and then just stopped it. I've started again and I am going to goto an opening day in two weeks time.

I am definitely going to go this time.
Reply 9
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Why'd OP take a gap year?

I just wasn't ready for university and living away from home I felt.

I was also hesitant due to my quiet nature/not drinking.
Reply 10
Original post by Butterfly9595
Like others have said already, you can't do anything about not going to uni now, so it's up to you to do something :wink:
Is there anything you'd like to achieve/do? Any volunteering or relevant work experience you could arrange? It can be tough with the pressure to go to uni (my school pretty much abandoned anyone who didn't) but what seems pretty bad at the start could turn into a fantastic year with just a little searching. Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I am trying to get a job. I've applied for over 30 jobs since the end of August so I can't say I haven't tried, most of them reject me straight away or else they just don't bother replying.

I don't know what i'm supposed to do.. it seems impossible really. I was in the school yesterday to sign upto UCAS and they said that I could have everything done and away by November..
Still though I feel like such an idiot sometimes when I look on Facebook and see all the people away at University.. although I have to say that feeling is subsiding as time goes on.

Just the feeling of being lazy is not good.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just wasn't ready for university and living away from home I felt.

I was also hesitant due to my quiet nature/not drinking.

Yes, people who don't drink shouldn't go to uni :rolleyes:
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Yes, people who don't drink shouldn't go to uni :rolleyes:

To be fair it can be somewhat intimidating when so much of student life appears to revolve around drinking... Sometimes people need an extra year to gain the confidence :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well regardless of the course you're planning on doing, it would be extremely beneficial to you if you studied something by yourself, like subjects of what you'll study in uni would make it much easier for you at uni and you could gain better understanding of those instead of starting from scratch as most students do.
You could learn a language or improve on your language skills, which would be beneficial to you further down the line.

You could travel or just enjoy your free time.
So you are not missing out on much, you just delayed things by a year. Which really isn't big deal. You'll be in the same boat after graduation again, when it's really up to you what you do with your time and life as no one will guide you by hand or force you to be somewhere, until you get some commitments like a job.

Quick Reply