The Student Room Group

Grades To Become A Teacher

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Old_Simon
This is really shocking.

Hardly shocking...

Exams are hardly representative of how good at a subject you are, all they indicate is how good you are at sitting exams.

Also people mature / improve at different times depending on how their life is going and where their interests take them.

Example: I got a C at GCSE maths:

An idiot would say "omgz he iz sooo bad at mafs doe"

A more open minded person might point out that he's bad at exams or just doesn't care about it enough to put the effort in.

In fact the second option is true, because I then went on to get an A* at A level maths because I started caring about education...

TLDR: Just because someone gets a D at A level, doesn't mean that 4 years later (after degree + PGCE) that they won't be an expert on the subject (at least expert enough to sufficiently teach secondary school children).
Original post by Omega3!
Hardly shocking...

Exams are hardly representative of how good at a subject you are, all they indicate is how good you are at sitting exams.

Also people mature / improve at different times depending on how their life is going and where their interests take them.

Example: I got a C at GCSE maths:

An idiot would say "omgz he iz sooo bad at mafs doe"

A more open minded person might point out that he's bad at exams or just doesn't care about it enough to put the effort in.

In fact the second option is true, because I then went on to get an A* at A level maths because I started caring about education...

TLDR: Just because someone gets a D at A level, doesn't mean that 4 years later (after degree + PGCE) that they won't be an expert on the subject (at least expert enough to sufficiently teach secondary school children).

Bloody bang on. I got a D at A level because it was the last thing on my mind. Doesn't mean I'm thick - as you say with your A* at A Level maths (well-bloody-done by the way!)
Reply 22
Original post by Bobble1987
Bloody bang on. I got a D at A level because it was the last thing on my mind. Doesn't mean I'm thick - as you say with your A* at A Level maths (well-bloody-done by the way!)

I don't even class it as an achievement, not even remotely.

I'm not any cleverer now (third year at university) than I was during my A levels or during my GCSEs (relative to my age).

My frame of mind is just different to a 15/16 year olds...

People who brag about their exam scores are so deluded, they'll get a shock when it comes to apply for jobs and find out that people literally don't give a **** about your 100% UMS in history GCSE.
Original post by Omega3!
I don't even class it as an achievement, not even remotely.

I'm not any cleverer now (third year at university) than I was during my A levels or during my GCSEs.

My frame of mind is just different to a 15/16 year olds...

People who brag about their exam scores are so deluded, they'll get a shock when it comes to apply for jobs and find out that people literally don't give a **** about your 100% UMS in history GCSE.

I actually think the fact my life hasn't been a glorious transition from school to sixth form to uni to teaching with no bumps (or in my case craters) on the way is a MASSIVE advantage when it comes to dealing with students.

But yeah, shocking that you got a C at maths gcse - you must be reet thick :smile:
I got Ds at A Level too and am currently on a primary ed degree :smile: when it comes to teaching, it's not all about grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well primary teaching you need Cs in GCSE English, Maths and Science
In Secondary you need C in A-Level on what you are teaching
Not true. I got a D at A Level in the subject I am now training to teach.

That is a disgrace. You should not be allowed to teach.
Original post by The Dictator

Don;t be rude...

Well, I am. Sorry!

I sincerely hope that was poorly presented sarcasm, particularly if you've gone on and read the posts that follow.
Original post by MrBindo10
Does it matter what A-Levels you choose, I mean is one of the those three subjects fine or???

As long as you have a broad range of subjects then you should be fine. Doing either english, maths, a science or history or geography as at least 1 of your subjects might be useful.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I sincerely hope that was poorly presented sarcasm, particularly if you've gone on and read the posts that follow.

The posts that follow make no difference. It is just a lot of teachers with poor attitudes and low grades justifying themselves. How professional teachers can state openly that exams are not really an indicator of ability and use that as an excuse is pathetic. I have been watching that East end school on TV and the teachers can scarcely speak English. No wonder entire generations are failing to qualify in Maths and English. Someone said they catch up at uni. How does doing Eng Lit for 3 years improve your maths? I wouldn't let my children anywhere near you all.
Original post by Old_Simon
The posts that follow make no difference. It is just a lot of teachers with poor attitudes and low grades justifying themselves. How professional teachers can state openly that exams are not really an indicator of ability and use that as an excuse is pathetic. I have been watching that East end school on TV and the teachers can scarcely speak English. No wonder entire generations are failing to qualify in Maths and English. Someone said they catch up at uni. How does doing Eng Lit for 3 years improve your maths? I wouldn't let my children anywhere near you all.

I'm not sure how you can so confidently accuse people of having poor attitudes and why it seems to be such an issue to you. The QTS skills tests are designed to root out those with poor skills and then the decision is left with schools & training providers. I'm on school direct at a very high achieving, consistently outstanding school. They don't seem to find it an issue, why should you?
So the little boy in my class whose mum died last year shouldn't have that taken into account in how he was able to concentrate and perform in assessments 2 weeks later?

Should my C grade Graphics GCSE prevent me from teaching the DT aspects of the primary curriculum?

Things are put in place regarding extenuating circumstances for a reason. What goes on outside of the classroom has a massive impact on attainment and we need to understand and appreciate that in order to be effective educators.
I agree with the posters in that it is truly disgusting that someone with a D at A-Level can end up teaching it. Even after a degree, the calibre of that person inherently remains the same. As I'm sure everyone on TSR has experienced in their A-Level courses, the standard of a person getting at least a B is much, much greater than that of someone who got a D.

I do realise that that person has become highly knowledgeable in this field but in my eyes, they'll always be someone who is at a D-grade mentality in anything concerning education - whether that is in teaching or learning.

It's no wonder the teaching profession isn't up to the highest standards set across the world as the teachers themselves don't possess that innate level of excellence anyway.
Oh my god, some people need to get their heads out of their rear ends and join the real world.

Anyone not capable or 'of the right mentality' will be weeded out of any teacher training course by Christmas .

I'm leaving this topic now, because clearly half the people complaining have no idea what teaching involves. Not to mention a total lack of human compassion.
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
I agree with the posters in that it is truly disgusting that someone with a D at A-Level can end up teaching it. Even after a degree, the calibre of that person inherently remains the same. As I'm sure everyone on TSR has experienced in their A-Level courses, the standard of a person getting at least a B is much, much greater than that of someone who got a D.

I do realise that that person has become highly knowledgeable in this field but in my eyes, they'll always be someone who is at a D-grade mentality in anything concerning education - whether that is in teaching or learning.

It's no wonder the teaching profession isn't up to the highest standards set across the world as the teachers themselves don't possess that innate level of excellence anyway.

I agree with the principle that high achievement is essential for teaching and that it wouldn't be right for someone with Cs and Ds and GCSE, the same at A Level and a 2:2 to be able to train to teach. To me, this would be a "D-grade person". It is, however, possible that at one of these stages something can go wrong. One grade does not equal a D grade "mentality", and certainly doesn't mean that anyone would be a poor or sub standard teacher.
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou

There could be a valid extenuating circumstance... or maybe they dossed at A level and pulled their socks up later on.
The reason I got Ds in my A Levels was because I had so wanted to leave school after year 12 to do my childcare qualifications. My parents persuaded me to stay on, but I was just so disinterested, and that was reflected in my grades. I then went on to gain 5 years working experience in appropriate fields whilst gaining my childcare qualifications which gained me strong references and great skills in actually dealing with children, parents and colleagues. Everyone has a different educational background and I don't think that one particular route should be the only way to reach your dreams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not true. I got a D at A Level in the subject I am now training to teach.

My highschool chemistry teacher got a D in chemistry at A Level, guess what... hes the best teacher in the school!
He's probably the main reason for my good gcse/alevel chemistry grade

Just goes to show, you can still be a good teacher and teach effectively regardless of your alevels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending