The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Relevance of GCSEs to Warwick?

Deleted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Not sure how highly Warwick regard GCSE's but with good A-levels, those GCSE grades won't hold you back anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by econam
Not sure how highly Warwick regard GCSE's but with good A-levels, those GCSE grades won't hold you back anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Nevertheless, as I believe Warwick is one of the best universities for maths [citation needed], it might mean that if they base a large part of the decision on GCSEs that I might find it harder to get in as many other people who may have better GCSEs may also be applying.
Original post by ThatPerson2
Hello!

I am about to start at 6th Form and I was considering Universities (you know how it is :colondollar:). As I know that some universities (*ahem* Oxford *ahem*) consider GCSEs quite highly, I was wondering if Warwick did likewise? If they do, would my GCSEs be good enough? I got 6 or 7 A* (I think my coursework was entered wrong, long story) 2A and 2Bs, A in FSMQ, Gold in Intermediate UKMT (and Kangaroo) - would this help or hinder an application? Also, with regards to the FSMQ, does Warwick accept it? I would be looking to do Maths or Astrophysics at University.

Thank you!

ThatPerson2.

Still good GCSEs for Oxford tbh :P
Reply 4
Original post by Blues Clues
Still good GCSEs for Oxford tbh :P

Thanks! Even if you are correct, knowing about how much weight Warwick (and indeed other universities) put on GCSEs would still be good.
Hello!

I am about to start at 6th Form and I was considering Universities (you know how it is :colondollar:). As I know that some universities (*ahem* Oxford *ahem*) consider GCSEs quite highly, I was wondering if Warwick did likewise? If they do, would my GCSEs be good enough? I got 6 or 7 A* (I think my coursework was entered wrong, long story) 2A and 2Bs, A in FSMQ, Gold in Intermediate UKMT (and Kangaroo) - would this help or hinder an application? Also, with regards to the FSMQ, does Warwick accept it? I would be looking to do Maths or Astrophysics at University.

Thank you!

ThatPerson2.

Unless they state particular GCSE requirements for subjects (so one would presume that Maths requires an A at GCSE), then you have little to worry about.

It seems that unless it's the very elite of institutions, GCSEs are only seen as a hinderance/aid if they're needed in certain subjects and that your A2 and AS (to a lesser extent) results are much more significant.

Not that you need to worry.
Reply 6
Original post by jwhitehead94
Unless they state particular GCSE requirements for subjects (so one would presume that Maths requires an A at GCSE), then you have little to worry about.

It seems that unless it's the very elite of institutions, GCSEs are only seen as a hinderance/aid if they're needed in certain subjects and that your A2 and AS (to a lesser extent) results are much more significant.

Not that you need to worry.

Thank you. Would you say this is the same for most universities?
Reply 7
Hello!

Thank you!

ThatPerson2.

Providing your predicted grades are fine, Warwick will offer you a place for maths. They use the offer itself to select people as it is very difficult to meet.

I got 5 A's, 3 B's and a E in my GCSEs, no FSMQ or anything else extracurricular related to maths and I still got an offer.
Original post by Teraad
Providing your predicted grades are fine, Warwick will offer you a place for maths. They use the offer itself to select people as it is very difficult to meet.

I got 5 A's, 3 B's and a E in my GCSEs, no FSMQ or anything else extracurricular related to maths and I still got an offer.

This

As far as I'm aware warwick don't care about GCSEs and the maths department literally I don't think even LOOK. I remember reading recently that they gave 1300 offers to something like 1380 applicants, which should give you some indication. All their offers involve STEP.
Reply 9
Original post by Teraad

Original post by Wahrheit
This

As far as I'm aware warwick don't care about GCSEs and the maths department literally I don't think even LOOK. I remember reading recently that they gave 1300 offers to something like 1380 applicants, which should give you some indication. All their offers involve STEP.

Thanks! In that case, I better start getting ready/doing my A Levels! And I will take a look at STEP.
Reply 10
I don't think Warwick really care about GCSEs. It's only Oxbridge that seem to, Oxford especially. Those GCSE results are fantastic anyway so you shouldn't worry. I got 1 A*, 4 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's and a D at GCSE, which are good results but aren't amazing, and I got an offer from Warwick and am now going there in September. As long as you get good AS results & good predicted grades, so basically showing you can get the grades required by Warwick at the end of A2, and have a good personal statement, you'll be fine.
Hello!

Thank you!

ThatPerson2.

For maths , i dont think there care about GCSEs.
I got 3As 4Bs 5cs and I got in. those grades won't hold you back !
Reply 12
Original post by Burst15
I don't think Warwick really care about GCSEs. It's only Oxbridge that seem to, Oxford especially. Those GCSE results are fantastic anyway so you shouldn't worry. I got 1 A*, 4 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's and a D at GCSE, which are good results but aren't amazing, and I got an offer from Warwick and am now going there in September. As long as you get good AS results & good predicted grades, so basically showing you can get the grades required by Warwick at the end of A2, and have a good personal statement, you'll be fine.

Original post by mr.dowell
For maths , i dont think there care about GCSEs.
I got 3As 4Bs 5cs and I got in. those grades won't hold you back !

Thank you! Sorry, I was just worried that they might be GCSE Nazis who require bucket loads of them!

Quick Reply

Latest