The Student Room Group

Going into 2nd year and lost all motivation

I'm doing a demanding course at a demanding Uni and I didn't do as well as a hoped to do last year, but that doesn't really matter as first year didn't count.
Anyway I've lost all motivation going into 2nd year. I struggled with first year and the students one year older than me were saying 2nd year is a lot harder, so you'll have to try a lot harder.
I'm no where near as excited for going back as I was starting Uni in the beginning and I've just completely lost motivation. I've also lost social motivation.
A lot happened last year. I injured myself quite badly. I am heavily infatuated with someone who I fear I may never see again and I regret not asking her. I had a family fallout too.
After all of this my self-esteem is rock bottom and I just can't be bothered with Uni.
And now I found my flatmates don't speak English it doesn't help.

Any other Uni students feel the same way?
Reply 1
First semester of second year is/was easily the worst part of my degree. I literally sat there questioning whether or not I was suited to the course and whether I was even capable, which was a first for me. So yes, it may well get worse again before it gets better. Do you get a reading week or any breaks during autumn? I had a straight 12-week semester, and got ill a few weeks in so I just fell behind a bit, and never really caught up to a point I was satisfied. Christmas was good though, because it gave me time to get on top of things and sort myself out a bit. If you get a week in the middle then do use it to properly relax, or sort yourself out, or do something just to stop it piling up.

You need to inform your tutor when you start back. Can't see the future, but if this does get worse or so then they need to know. If and when things get better if at the end of the day you're on a borderline grade the supporting information around dips in performance can be taken into consideration. Mainly though, so they can try to find ways to support you. If university is the source of your unhappiness then they have a duty to guide you.

Ask for help. Do it everyday if you need to. Take a problem to a tutor after a lecture, or take every opportunity to ask if you have seminars or tutorials. When you feel you struggle, it sucks; it genuinely makes everything else worse. If you felt you were doing well you'd have a much more positive outlook - and if this looks to be one of the major causes of this then it needs to be targeted.

Time is a grand healer for the infatuation. It won't make you forget, or make it go away, but eventually it will stop plaguing you. Every situation is different, so you just gotta do your best to avoid dwelling on it. Do you actually know them? 'Cause this is the modern day, it's not too difficult to find someone on the internet. Friends in common etc. may have a way of contacting them, as a thought.

Have you tried looking for somewhere new to live? Right now, you're uncomfortable there, and you're unlikely to become best of friends if they predominantly speak in their native language. You don't have to rush into a decision - take time to meet people who have a spare room going (someone will have failed etc.) and just work out if you would be happier living with them. People who are on the same, or similar courses may be ideal because they will have similar workloads. It's something you can do to improve the situation.

Take it day by day :smile: if all of this has realised it's not what you want to do then do speak to your tutor. Dropping out is a potential option, and/or there's the potential to change universities/courses still with funding available for a three-year course. Would give you time to sort yourself out and clear your head.

Most of my friends have graduated this year, and a lot of them basically hated it. It's perfectly normal to be disenchanted with it all.
I know that feeling. Second year was absolutely awful for me. I mean the course was more interesting, so I was enjoying the lectures but I had a bit of a complicated thing going on in my uni house last year that I was totally unused to and I didn't handle it very well, so I wasn't the happiest of bunnies last year. And I just kind of spent a lot of time wondering why the hell I was doing it and spent the whole year convinced I'd fail and that I was really stupid and it was just a bit crap really. Got through it in the end though with a 2:1 and I'm hoping this year will be better, moving into a new house so we'll see :smile: I agree with what Nymthae said though, definitely speak to your tutor, I spoke to mine and he was really supportive so if you're struggling definitely speak to them and try and get help.
Reply 3
Original post by Nymthae
First semester of second year is/was easily the worst part of my degree. I literally sat there questioning whether or not I was suited to the course and whether I was even capable, which was a first for me. So yes, it may well get worse again before it gets better. Do you get a reading week or any breaks during autumn? I had a straight 12-week semester, and got ill a few weeks in so I just fell behind a bit, and never really caught up to a point I was satisfied. Christmas was good though, because it gave me time to get on top of things and sort myself out a bit. If you get a week in the middle then do use it to properly relax, or sort yourself out, or do something just to stop it piling up.

You need to inform your tutor when you start back. Can't see the future, but if this does get worse or so then they need to know. If and when things get better if at the end of the day you're on a borderline grade the supporting information around dips in performance can be taken into consideration. Mainly though, so they can try to find ways to support you. If university is the source of your unhappiness then they have a duty to guide you.

Ask for help. Do it everyday if you need to. Take a problem to a tutor after a lecture, or take every opportunity to ask if you have seminars or tutorials. When you feel you struggle, it sucks; it genuinely makes everything else worse. If you felt you were doing well you'd have a much more positive outlook - and if this looks to be one of the major causes of this then it needs to be targeted.

Time is a grand healer for the infatuation. It won't make you forget, or make it go away, but eventually it will stop plaguing you. Every situation is different, so you just gotta do your best to avoid dwelling on it. Do you actually know them? 'Cause this is the modern day, it's not too difficult to find someone on the internet. Friends in common etc. may have a way of contacting them, as a thought.

Have you tried looking for somewhere new to live? Right now, you're uncomfortable there, and you're unlikely to become best of friends if they predominantly speak in their native language. You don't have to rush into a decision - take time to meet people who have a spare room going (someone will have failed etc.) and just work out if you would be happier living with them. People who are on the same, or similar courses may be ideal because they will have similar workloads. It's something you can do to improve the situation.

Take it day by day :smile: if all of this has realised it's not what you want to do then do speak to your tutor. Dropping out is a potential option, and/or there's the potential to change universities/courses still with funding available for a three-year course. Would give you time to sort yourself out and clear your head.

Most of my friends have graduated this year, and a lot of them basically hated it. It's perfectly normal to be disenchanted with it all.

Thank you for your support.
Yes we get a reading week sometime.
And my tutor is rubbish. He never helps. He's an idiot.
Time isn't going to heal my infatuation. I am pretty much focussed on this girl and won't consider marrying anyone else. I didn't meet them through the internet. This was in University.
It's not easy to find a new place to live. Check my previous thread about this situation.
And I don't want to drop out. That isn't an option for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending