The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Chemistry Unit 5, F325 15th June 2015

Let's go.

The big paper, Unit 5 Chemistry.

Starting work on this later, focusing on F324 atm, hope to complete this module by Feb, and then hit the past papers and consolidate.

Post your resources, advice etc. here.

chemlover12
http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk - this website seriously has so many questions to keep you busy. Chemistry = practise and with this, more than enough practice can be done.

DavidH20
Thanks for the notes David - Hope you don't mind if I upload them here - Anexis. SEE UPLOADED FILE FOR DAVID'S NOTES TITLED "Unit 4 Chemistry Notes"

Good luck guys!

We're all going to make it brah.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANEXIS kZstaR
Let's go.

The big paper, Unit 5 Chemistry.

Starting work on this later, focusing on F324 atm, hope to complete the module by Feb, and then hit the past papers and consolidate.

Post your resources, advice etc. here.

Good luck guys!

We're all going to make it brah.

Moved to Chemistry exams sub section :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Moved to Chemistry exams sub section :smile:

You're the mod.

Thought more people would see it in A Levels..

You taking the exam?
You're the mod.

Thought more people would see it in A Levels..

You taking the exam?

People who are studying Chemistry would see it easier in this section as I know when I did my A levels I didn't check the main A level section as threads get lost too easily in there, here it should be seen by all who are taking this exam :yep:

Is this going to be for June, if so you might want to edit the title to include the year on it, unless there already exists such a thread.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
People who are studying Chemistry would see it easier in this section as I know when I did my A levels I didn't check the main A level section as threads get lost too easily in there, here it should be seen by all who are taking this exam :yep:

Is this going to be for June, if so you might want to edit the title to include the year on it, unless there already exists such a thread.

Hope this helps :smile:

Oh right cool.

En route.

Yep, thanks then :d
Woah. You sure starting early. This thread doesn't come out till like later on. Anyway, I already sat the exam this year but I'm here to share some resources.

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk - this website seriously has so many questions to keep you busy. Chemistry = practise and with this, more than enough practice can be done. I also have this worksheet which I will post up when the sun comes out.
Original post by chemlover12
Woah. You sure starting early. This thread doesn't come out till like later on. Anyway, I already sat the exam this year but I'm here to share some resources.

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk - this website seriously has so many questions to keep you busy. Chemistry = practise and with this, more than enough practice can be done. I also have this worksheet which I will post up when the sun comes out.

Nothing like a bit of F324 to start your typical Sunday morning.

Awesome, I heard that last years modular exams were quite tough - do you share that opinion?

As usual OCR are being ****ers including so many skeletal questions.

Will put this in the OP, thanks for that.

May I ask you, do you have any tips on hitting a high A in this paper.

This I find is the most mathsy paper, but looks fun nevertheless.
Nothing like a bit of F324 to start your typical Sunday morning.

Awesome, I heard that last years modular exams were quite tough - do you share that opinion?

As usual OCR are being ****ers including so many skeletal questions.

Will put this in the OP, thanks for that.

May I ask you, do you have any tips on hitting a high A in this paper.

This I find is the most mathsy paper, but looks fun nevertheless.

haha, if you work best in the morning, then why the hell not hehe?

not really. I liked the paper in general, except the last question (I misread a few question due to lack of sleep, seriously. ADVICE: SLEEP BEFORE EXAM lol)

Haha, I actually like skeletal questions. Um, how did you find F322? It was a nice paper, wasn't it? Man, I thought the grade boundaries for that would be the same as last year's.

Do a lot of practice, don't blindly memorise the methods for the maths questions, and work hard. I made notes on each module, after I finished each module did the questions on it - questions in the book and on that website. Questions on that website gets very repetitive, so don't be annoyed lol. Do as many past papers as you can. Since you are starting quite early, I'm sure you can reach the A* mark! Good luck xD
haha, if you work best in the morning, then why the hell not hehe?

not really. I liked the paper in general, except the last question (I misread a few question due to lack of sleep, seriously. ADVICE: SLEEP BEFORE EXAM lol)

Haha, I actually like skeletal questions. Um, how did you find F322? It was a nice paper, wasn't it? Man, I thought the grade boundaries for that would be the same as last year's.

Do a lot of practice, don't blindly memorise the methods for the maths questions, and work hard. I made notes on each module, after I finished each module did the questions on it - questions in the book and on that website. Questions on that website gets very repetitive, so don't be annoyed lol. Do as many past papers as you can. Since you are starting quite early, I'm sure you can reach the A* mark! Good luck xD

I don't care what anyone says, Chemistry is by far the hardest A Level.

But yeah, very true.

Some the questions were decent, some not so. People were crying about it on here lul..

Thank you! What are you studying now?

I am thinking of this approach: Revision guides + OCR guide, F325 notes floating around on net, specimen papers, Legacy papers, AQA papers, Chemguide+site you recommended questions, OCR A papers.

I really aim to finish this module by beginning of March - leaving ample time to consolidate on past papers.

But yeah, very true.

Some the questions were decent, some not so. People were crying about it on here lul..

I am thinking of this approach: Revision guides + OCR guide, F325 notes floating around on net, specimen papers, Legacy papers, AQA papers, Chemguide+site you recommended questions, OCR A papers.

I really aim to finish this module by beginning of March - leaving ample time to consolidate on past papers.

Really? I thought it was Psychology or Biology due it being so content-heavy. But yeah, different people so different opinions xD

lol, yeah I saw the crying. What subjects did you take for AS? & Which ones are you carrying to A2?

Oh, I'm on a gap year since I'm underage to apply for Medicine (shrug). I just turned 17 in late June xD so when I start the course I will still be 17 :/ my teachers told me to apply for 2015 series after taking a gap year so yeah.

I wouldn't really give the revision guide much attention, if I were you. It does have some parts to it that isn't covered in the actual text book but make sure you use the actual text book more. But yeah, that seems like a good plan. Legacy papers would really help. I did a few AQA questions myself and they weren't that bad - it was just on those born - haber cycle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Really? I told it was Psychology or Biology due it being so content-heavy. But yeah, different people so different opinions xD

lol, yeah I saw the crying. What subjects did you take for AS? & Which ones are you carrying to A2?

Oh, I'm on a gap year since I'm underage to apply for Medicine (shrug). I just turned 17 in late June xD so when I start the course I will still be 17 :/ my teachers told me to apply for 2015 series after taking a gap year so yeah.

I wouldn't really give the revision guide much attention, if I were you. It does have some parts to it that isn't covered in the actual text book but make sure you use the actual text book more. But yeah, that seems like a good plan. Legacy papers would really help. I did a few AQA questions myself and they weren't that bad - it was just on those born - haber cycle.

tbh only Stem people really get it into their heads but beta humanities subjects aren't real subjects, Chemistry is more practical based, with reliance on mechanisms and learning content as well as appliance - whereas Bio is just memorising the book. Easier said then done, but Chem is harder - not that it matters I suppose in eyes of the unis which consider all maths/science subjects real/ Type A iirc.

Maths,Chem,Bio,Phys,R.S. and C.T..

Now doing maths,chem,phy and full further maths. I'm also taking the SAT and the SAT 2 in both Math Level 1 and 2 and also Phy+Chem.

Wow, so you are an early entrant, always in awe of them. I wish I had the knowledge of doing exams ahead of time earlier, so I could have shed the workload got more subjects etc. but oh well! Are you asian? :s-smilie:

Only ask because there was this girl who was 8 years old and achieved an A at Maths A Level at my centre! Asian obviously but impressive feat :moon:

Idk you are probably more aware than I am, but I just think that all knowledge is good knowledge to an extent and want to be comfortable with all the spec. That being said, I will print off the spec and follow that too.

Will definitely do that, the way chem A2 is outlined, its impossible to cram for it. So want to build a really good foundation, have you seen the CIE questions - some of the papers are really hard. Will defo use that book. AP questions would also be good to have a go out. That being said I should crack on, because there is a lot to do!

Is there any book that you would recommend over the others, I have most of them/access to them.

Did my A2 cwk last year, which was great since I have got that out of the way and can focus solely on the exams. Did decent on them, but with harder papers expected can't misunderestimate anything.

You taking any extra a levels in your gap year?
tbh only Stem people really get it into their heads but beta humanities subjects aren't real subjects, Chemistry is more practical based, with reliance on mechanisms and learning content as well as appliance - whereas Bio is just memorising the book. Easier said then done, but Chem is harder - not that it matters I suppose in eyes of the unis which consider all maths/science subjects real/ Type A iirc.

Maths,Chem,Bio,Phys,R.S. and C.T..

Now doing maths,chem,phy and full further maths. I'm also taking the SAT and the SAT 2 in both Math Level 1 and 2 and also Phy+Chem.

Wow, so you are an early entrant, always in awe of them. I wish I had the knowledge of doing exams ahead of time earlier, so I could have shed the workload got more subjects etc. but oh well! Are you asian? :s-smilie:

Only ask because there was this girl who was 8 years old and achieved an A at Maths A Level at my centre! Asian obviously but impressive feat :moon:

Idk you are probably more aware than I am, but I just think that all knowledge is good knowledge to an extent and want to be comfortable with all the spec. That being said, I will print off the spec and follow that too.

Will definitely do that, the way chem A2 is outlined, its impossible to cram for it. So want to build a really good foundation, have you seen the CIE questions - some of the papers are really hard. Will defo use that book. AP questions would also be good to have a go out. That being said I should crack on, because there is a lot to do!

Is there any book that you would recommend over the others, I have most of them/access to them.

Did my A2 cwk last year, which was great since I have got that out of the way and can focus solely on the exams. Did decent on them, but with harder papers expected can't misunderestimate anything.

You taking any extra a levels in your gap year?

Oh, um, I guess that’s true. I love Maths and Chemistry due to the fact that there are more applying then memorising in those subjects. Biology is most definitely memorising, which is so annoying because I’m so bad at it lol. I hate memorising.

Oh wow. Woah, woah, you are taking so many subjects. Are you going apply to America or something? Why are you taking SAT? Are you American? Since you are doing Maths and Further maths what are your 12 units? How is Physics?

Haha, yeah. LOL, I think you are doing enough subjects already hehe. You must be like super clever so manage everything so well. No wonder you are starting early lol. Yeah, I’m asian lol.

Whut? That’s amazing! She’s 8 and she got an A. Woah.

No, no, you’re right. All knowledge is good knowledge! I will try to get hold of some really hard questions for you. My chemistry teacher is an eighty year old lady so she has some questions from “her time” and they seriously put your Chemistry skills to a test haha. Since I’m going to pay her a visit next week, I will see if she will give me a copy to put up here. Working with the spec is definitely a good idea.

No, I haven’t seen CIE questions, I don’t want to see them either. They seem scary lol. AP? Seriously, are you American? Haha, yeah, you should! Good luck!!

I only used the actual OCR textbook so I wouldn’t know. Actually, wait, there is this revision guide I have which summarises everything. It’s good for last minute revision a day before the exam. I can send it to you, if you want - I have no use of it anyway - but I can only send it to any London residents lol. It’s this: http://www.amazon.com/My-Revision-Notes-OCR-Chemistry-ebook/dp/B00C3GY08W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410071528&sr=8-1&keywords=ocr+a2+chemistry+mike+smith

Yeah, even if you got like 100% in AS, don’t get big headed and think you don’t need to revise for these because everyone does! I know a lot of people who waved me off when I tormented them to revise and ended up with Cs so -_-.

I’m thinking of doing the whole a-level of further maths and physics or philosophy. The universities wouldn’t really see these as A-levels because I’m going to do them outside of my two years but /shrug/ they are interesting lol. The thing with Physics is the course work, I have no idea where to do those so I’m going school next week to ask.
Oh, um, I guess that’s true. I love Maths and Chemistry due to the fact that there are more applying then memorising in those subjects. Biology is most definitely memorising, which is so annoying because I’m so bad at it lol. I hate memorising.

Oh wow. Woah, woah, you are taking so many subjects. Are you going apply to America or something? Why are you taking SAT? Are you American? Since you are doing Maths and Further maths what are your 12 units? How is Physics?

Haha, yeah. LOL, I think you are doing enough subjects already hehe. You must be like super clever so manage everything so well. No wonder you are starting early lol. Yeah, I’m asian lol.

Whut? That’s amazing! She’s 8 and she got an A. Woah.

No, no, you’re right. All knowledge is good knowledge! I will try to get hold of some really hard questions for you. My chemistry teacher is an eighty year old lady so she has some questions from “her time” and they seriously put your Chemistry skills to a test haha. Since I’m going to pay her a visit next week, I will see if she will give me a copy to put up here. Working with the spec is definitely a good idea.

No, I haven’t seen CIE questions, I don’t want to see them either. They seem scary lol. AP? Seriously, are you American? Haha, yeah, you should! Good luck!!

I only used the actual OCR textbook so I wouldn’t know. Actually, wait, there is this revision guide I have which summarises everything. It’s good for last minute revision a day before the exam. I can send it to you, if you want - I have no use of it anyway - but I can only send it to any London residents lol. It’s this: http://www.amazon.com/My-Revision-Notes-OCR-Chemistry-ebook/dp/B00C3GY08W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410071528&sr=8-1&keywords=ocr+a2+chemistry+mike+smith

Yeah, even if you got like 100% in AS, don’t get big headed and think you don’t need to revise for these because everyone does! I know a lot of people who waved me off when I tormented them to revise and ended up with Cs so -_-.

I’m thinking of doing the whole a-level of further maths and physics or philosophy. The universities wouldn’t really see these as A-levels because I’m going to do them outside of my two years but /shrug/ they are interesting lol. The thing with Physics is the course work, I have no idea where to do those so I’m going school next week to ask.

Yeah I found that lol, Physics AS was particularly difficult last year, annoying but I don't write the papers. I enjoy the clarity of doing a difficult integration.

I intend to apply to USA, want to take a gap year and try my hand at Harvard - its all well and good making plans but doing the work and getting the grades would put me in better stead etc.

9 units. SAT required by all US institutions - give or take.

Maths: C1 C2 S1 (done) C3 M1 C4

FM: FP1 D1 M2 S2 S3 FP2.

Maybe, we will see when results get published how clever I am I suppose :smile:

Physics modules look interesting this year. Actually kind of exciited lol, modules and content look interesting except magnetic flux and all that jazzzz.

Figured that much, what subjects did you take, and what A levels did you do.

IKR was in the newspaper and all that, kind of annoyed me that, that could have been me - only fuelled me to work more harder. But wp to her, obviously going to Cambridge lol.

Thanks that would be perfect. That would be much appreciated, along with many users on here I would imagine. Please don't go to any trouble though.

CIE is by far the hardest exam board, but the mods don't like people saying this lol. Was thinking of doing AP, but started A Levels - plus expensive to go to London and come back to where I am to give the papers for A Levels.

Siblings went US so was thinking about going there but expensive and way more competitive than UK.

LOL, I took pictures of that book from local library a couple of days ago.. Flicked through it, looks good but thanks. Put it on amazon, lots of people will buy it, and you can pocket yourself some cash.

I know there is a fine line between being arrogant and motivated, and since the A2 has greater weighting for the A*, not going to mess around or be cocky etc.

Interesting, actually if you are applying for something like NatSci or something and was just doing it as something extra it would show you retain A level knowledge, so I would defo do that.

If I were to take a gap year, would probably do AFM and finish of R.S. to A2.

I used the wrong emoticon before lol, my bad.

If you are doing OCR A, I only know of Pembrokeshire College which offer the cwk, but they are in Wales! So idk what to do about that, since I was wondering which schools offer private candidates.

Alcester College in Leicester iirc, and Corelli College in London are the best centres to do them privately financially or so I have been told.

Good luck though!

Inbox me :d
Yeah I found that lol, Physics AS was particularly difficult last year, annoying but I don't write the papers. I enjoy the clarity of doing a difficult integration.

I intend to apply to USA, want to take a gap year and try my hand at Harvard - its all well and good making plans but doing the work and getting the grades would put me in better stead etc.

9 units. SAT required by all US institutions - give or take.

Maths: C1 C2 S1 (done) C3 M1 C4

FM: FP1 D1 M2 S2 S3 FP2.

Maybe, we will see when results get published how clever I am I suppose :smile:

Physics modules look interesting this year. Actually kind of exciited lol, modules and content look interesting except magnetic flux and all that jazzzz.

Figured that much, what subjects did you take, and what A levels did you do.

IKR was in the newspaper and all that, kind of annoyed me that, that could have been me - only fuelled me to work more harder. But wp to her, obviously going to Cambridge lol.

Thanks that would be perfect. That would be much appreciated, along with many users on here I would imagine. Please don't go to any trouble though.

CIE is by far the hardest exam board, but the mods don't like people saying this lol. Was thinking of doing AP, but started A Levels - plus expensive to go to London and come back to where I am to give the papers for A Levels.

Siblings went US so was thinking about going there but expensive and way more competitive than UK.

LOL, I took pictures of that book from local library a couple of days ago.. Flicked through it, looks good but thanks. Put it on amazon, lots of people will buy it, and you can pocket yourself some cash.

I know there is a fine line between being arrogant and motivated, and since the A2 has greater weighting for the A*, not going to mess around or be cocky etc.

Interesting, actually if you are applying for something like NatSci or something and was just doing it as something extra it would show you retain A level knowledge, so I would defo do that.

If I were to take a gap year, would probably do AFM and finish of R.S. to A2.

I used the wrong emoticon before lol, my bad.

If you are doing OCR A, I only know of Pembrokeshire College which offer the cwk, but they are in Wales! So idk what to do about that, since I was wondering which schools offer private candidates.

Alcester College in Leicester iirc, and Corelli College in London are the best centres to do them privately financially or so I have been told.

Good luck though!

Inbox me :d

Yeah, I will just inbox you since this is going a little off topic LOL.
Yeah, I will just inbox you since this is going a little off topic LOL.

np :smile:

But yeah, very true.

Are you self teaching? :smile: And are you doing both modules at the same time? I saw you said you want F324 done by febuary so I assume you are going to start F325 before you finish F324 and do both at the same time?

Really really really focus on OCR papers and questions (you can find some great questions packs with hundreds of questions online, I can't find the ones I used right now but if you look around you will definitely find some). If you do AQA papers there will be some topics that aren't covered by OCR and some will be missed out, plus the style of asking the questions could be very different so try and do OCR where possible.

The other thing I found really useful is using as many resources as possible (I had the official text book and revision guide, the CGP text book and revision guide and the cambridge text book). They all add different things, word things different (so one book might not explain it in the right way for you but another one will) and they all have questions so even more practice.

Good luck :smile: If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Getting absolutely smashed to pieces by tough buffer questions :eek:
How's everyone else finding F325? How far into it are you?
Original post by PensiveChicken
Getting absolutely smashed to pieces by tough buffer questions :eek:
How's everyone else finding F325? How far into it are you?

Hi. I am into the buffers, the titration curves is what I am gonna begin tomorrow.

Are you talking about the 7/8 markers about the buffers? I found them hard, checked the mark scheme and it's pretty much piss easy after you know to answer it. If you want me to explain it, if it's the right question, then just ask :smile:.

So far not finding it that hard at all and I got a D for chem last year -_-, I am gonna retake both units though. Unit 2 KO'd me as I wasn't close to ready for it lol. Hope to get at least an A this year :biggrin:.

Yeah, they make perfect notes. I am using it so far instead of the textbook which has so much BS. What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
Edit: You must have got an A or higher, as you are applying to medicine, GOOD LUCK!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Yeah, they make perfect notes. I am using it so far instead of the textbook which has so much BS. What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
Edit: You must have got an A or higher, as you are applying to medicine, GOOD LUCK!

Lol. Textbook is actually really helpful, make sure you use both of them. I got an A.
Haha, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest