The Student Room Group

Personal statement law

Is it advisable to put film references into your PS?
I intend to read law at UCL or King's and i'm thinking of mentioning '12 angry men' and how it impacted my thoughts on justice and ethics. What do you guys think? Is it too much of a cliché for the admissions people? thanks.
Original post by eliz95yong
Is it advisable to put film references into your PS?
I intend to read law at UCL or King's and i'm thinking of mentioning '12 angry men' and how it impacted my thoughts on justice and ethics. What do you guys think? Is it too much of a cliché for the admissions people? thanks.

I do not think it is a cliche.

Have you read the play, seen either of the films or seen it on the London stage?

Have you seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejHKA2HI4TY

You might want to think about this.

Twelve Angry Men was one of a series of courtroom dramas from the late 1950s and early 1960s made in the USA

The Caine Mutiny was filmed in 1954

The Wrong Man was filmed in 1956 (this is one of Hitchcock's lesser-known films)

Twelve Angry men was first a short US TV play from 1954 filmed in 1957.

Paths of Glory was filmed in 1957

Anatomy of a Murder was filmed in 1959

The Wreck of the Mary Deare was filmed in 1959

Inherit the Wind was a 1955 play filmed in 1960 (also recently performed on the London stage)

Town Without Pity was filmed in 1961

Judgement at Nuremberg was filmed in 1961

To Kill a Mockingbird was filmed in 1962

Kafka's The Trial was filmed in 1962

What does this tell us?

Although there are a number of British trial films in the 1960s and 1970s, there are few, if any, US films until Kramer v Kramer in 1979
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
I do not think it is a cliche.

Have you read the play, seen either of the films or seen it on the London stage?

Have you seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejHKA2HI4TY

You might want to think about this.

Twelve Angry Men was one of a series of courtroom dramas from the late 1950s and early 1960s made in the USA

The Caine Mutiny was filmed in 1954

The Wrong Man was filmed in 1956 (this is one of Hitchcock's lesser-known films)

Twelve Angry men was first a short US TV play from 1954 filmed in 1957.

Paths of Glory was filmed in 1957

Anatomy of a Murder was filmed in 1959

The Wreck of the Mary Deare was filmed in 1959

Inherit the Wind was a 1955 play filmed in 1960 (also recently performed on the London stage)

Town Without Pity was filmed in 1961

Judgement at Nuremberg was filmed in 1961

To Kill a Mockingbird was filmed in 1962

Kafka's The Trial was filmed in 1962

What does this tell us?

Although there are a number of British trial films in the 1960s and 1970s, there are few, if any, US films until Kramer v Kramer in 1979

Thank you for the info, and yes i've watched the 12 angry men ,the 1957 film but i've not read or watched the play though.
Are you suggesting that i try to input other courtroom dramas as well?
My main concern is the effect it'll have on the admissions, I wonder whether is it common for people to mention 12 angry men in their ps..
Original post by eliz95yong
Thank you for the info, and yes i've watched the 12 angry men ,the 1957 film but i've not read or watched the play though.
Are you suggesting that i try to input other courtroom dramas as well?
My main concern is the effect it'll have on the admissions, I wonder whether is it common for people to mention 12 angry men in their ps..

Writing a personal statement is not about finding some source that nobody has used before or saying something unique. Writing a personal statement is about saying something about the subject you want to read that is intelligent.

So saying that you have become interested in law from watching Twelve Angry Men is no better and no worse than saying you became interested in law from watching Suits. That is merely name-dropping.

What you need to be thinking about is what about Twelve Angry Men makes you think what about law and justice.

No, I don't think you should name drop more 1950s/1960s films into your PS. I think you should think more deeply about what it is about Twelve Angry Men that makes interested in what about justice. I was merely giving you one of many ways in to thinking more deeply about the film. So far you haven't taken my way in, but neither do you seem to wish to take any other way in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending