The Student Room Group

Diagnosed at AS - uni application

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nearly mid way through my AS courses, and my grades have suffered as a result. While my teachers were well meaning, they didn't understand the implications of being newly diagnosed, how ill I felt, the emotional stress, and how your memory/concentration can suffer. I don't have appalling grades, ABCC, and I intend to retake 2 units so predicted A2 grades should be at least A* AB.
However, I'm so stressed about my application, and how universities will perceive me as a person, because the grades don't reflect what I can do. I wasn't offered any advice on extenuating circumstances, and so I only requested it on one piece of coursework. I'm also worried that unis will write off type 1 as a valid problem, because most of their diabetic students will have had the illness about 10 years longer than I have, and will have it under much better control than I have it.

So really, this is a cry for help, to anyone who had their studies affected by a long term illness - how did you explain it to universities in a way that made them understand?
I don't know too much on how to explain the effects of the illness, which I would hope that there would be some people in the unis you chose to apply that would understand at least a little on it's effect, but the unis should consider your predicted grades when making offers, if your predicated A*AB and this is higher than their offer they may very well except you and as you've said your AS results aren't terrible and it is clearly possible that you can with work get the predicted grades stated. If your worried about your condition though when you've chosen your uni, anything to do with the effect of having your condition, I would defintely give the disability section of the uni a call to discuss through any worries/issues you may have and anything that they would advise being put in place for your time at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest