The Student Room Group

Doing Full A Level in Sociology in one year

I already have two A Levels at good grades and I only need one more. I don't want to be stuck for another 2 years for just one more A Level. The sixth form I'm at have enrolled me on for a full A Level in a year in Media, HOWEVER, I'm getting a lot of comments from people saying that Media Studies will be a struggle due to the heavy amount of coursework involved, so I'm thinking about asking to change to an exam based one and the one I'm thinking about doing it Sociology. Has anybody done this before? I'd love to know. Also, this would be the only subject I'd be concentrating on and they'd put me into AS and A2 classes. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

sociology over media, any day of the week
Reply 2
Original post by idgentles
sociology over media, any day of the week

I'm guessing you've done Media studies before? Haha, that is what everybody is telling me. Plus, I think Sociology would work in my favour as the last exam is a synopsis paper which I may find easier since I'll be doing AS and A2 alongside each other, so the information will be (hopefully) relatively fresh. :smile:
Original post by sophiejaz
I'm guessing you've done Media studies before? Haha, that is what everybody is telling me. Plus, I think Sociology would work in my favour as the last exam is a synopsis paper which I may find easier since I'll be doing AS and A2 alongside each other, so the information will be (hopefully) relatively fresh. :smile:

havent done media before, but im also doing a full a level in 1 year, chose between soci and media. media gets no respect and takes aaaaaages.
Reply 4
havent done media before, but im also doing a full a level in 1 year, chose between soci and media. media gets no respect and takes aaaaaages.

Oh, so you're doing Sociology in one year as well? Are you doing it at an institution or via a distance learning program? I think I may change courses as I've heard that the coursework will be overbearing, and like you said, for a poorly respected subject it's probably not worth it.
Oh, so you're doing Sociology in one year as well? Are you doing it at an institution or via a distance learning program? I think I may change courses as I've heard that the coursework will be overbearing, and like you said, for a poorly respected subject it's probably not worth it.

at college, I got ABC at AS last year. C imin maths and im gonna drop it to do AS/A2 soci with my other A2s
Reply 6
at college, I got ABC at AS last year. C imin maths and im gonna drop it to do AS/A2 soci with my other A2s

I'm glad to hear somebody else is doing this as well as not many people do. I'm definitely going to ask to change on Monday. Thanks for your advice
I'm glad to hear somebody else is doing this as well as not many people do. I'm definitely going to ask to change on Monday. Thanks for your advice

no prob
Reply 8
no prob

Hey, I've decided to do Sociology. I'm just wondering what exam board you're on?
Hey, I've decided to do Sociology. I'm just wondering what exam board you're on?

AQA, yourself?
Reply 10
I'm on AQA also. :biggrin: How are you finding it so far?
I'm on AQA also. :biggrin: How are you finding it so far?

I start tomorrow, but ive been studying the syllabus over august. seems pretty interesting so far
Reply 12
I start tomorrow, but ive been studying the syllabus over august. seems pretty interesting so far

What grade are you aiming for? It must be do-able if they're letting us do it. I haven't heard of many people doing this
What grade are you aiming for? It must be do-able if they're letting us do it. I haven't heard of many people doing this

an A minimum, im feeling pretty optimisric :smile:
you?
Reply 14
an A minimum, im feeling pretty optimisric :smile:
you?

I'm hoping for a B minimum, but I'm going to strive for an A as I probably need it for university and since it's the only subject that I'm going to be concentrating on, it's achievable I think. But you sound really dedicated, so good luck. :smile:
I'm hoping for a B minimum, but I'm going to strive for an A as I probably need it for university and since it's the only subject that I'm going to be concentrating on, it's achievable I think. But you sound really dedicated, so good luck. :smile:

so do you, I hope we both get A* :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 16
so do you, I hope we both get A* :smile: :smile: :smile:

I hope so! I'll be rooting for both of us haha :smile:

I have just done AQA sociology A level but did it the traditional route over 2 years. If its the only subject you are doing it should be ok but reckon it would be hard work with other subjects too - lots of content to remember and 4 exams in one sitting - scary if you have others too. Though saying that I did do 4 subjects to A2 so I don't know ......

What A levels do you have already?

Good luck.
Original post by AmyPilot
I have just done AQA sociology A level but did it the traditional route over 2 years. If its the only subject you are doing it should be ok but reckon it would be hard work with other subjects too - lots of content to remember and 4 exams in one sitting - scary if you have others too. Though saying that I did do 4 subjects to A2 so I don't know ......

What A levels do you have already?

Good luck.

if the content is the worst part, then as long as give 100% from now I should be good. memory and writing speed are my best points. lol AS law taught me that
(edited 9 years ago)
if the content is the worst part, then as long as give 100% from now I should be good. memory and writing speed are best points. lol AS law taught me that

Good luck to you - I loved sociology!

Quick Reply

Latest