The Student Room Group

UK universities offering English and History?

Hi everyone, I'm currently in my last year of sixth form and I've recently been looking at university courses. I want to study English and History either as a Joint Honours Degree, or as a degree where English is my 'Major' subject and History is my 'Minor' subject. I am currently living in Cardiff and I have decided that although I want to move away, I do not want to move more than two hours away from home. I've been looking into the universities which offer English and History together and I have discovered that my options are limited.

Would anyone be able to offer any recommendations? I particularly like the look of Bristol and Exeter University, but unfortunately they do not offer English and History joint honours (I know Exeter offers the course at their Cornwall Campus but I don't want to move that far away). Does anyone know of any universities which might offer a Major/Minor course, so that I could mainly study English with some History modules too?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by lizx
x

I know that Oxford offers it--not sure if that's something you were considering but might be worth a punt--as well as Leeds, York and Durham, if that helps. I know you said you want to stick to within 2 hours' drive but that might not be realistic--it's not a journey you're going to be making that often, and surely there's not much in the difference between that and a 3/4 hour journey?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lizx
Hi everyone, I'm currently in my last year of sixth form and I've recently been looking at university courses. I want to study English and History either as a Joint Honours Degree, or as a degree where English is my 'Major' subject and History is my 'Minor' subject. I am currently living in Cardiff and I have decided that although I want to move away, I do not want to move more than two hours away from home. I've been looking into the universities which offer English and History together and I have discovered that my options are limited.

Would anyone be able to offer any recommendations? I particularly like the look of Bristol and Exeter University, but unfortunately they do not offer English and History joint honours (I know Exeter offers the course at their Cornwall Campus but I don't want to move that far away). Does anyone know of any universities which might offer a Major/Minor course, so that I could mainly study English with some History modules too?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!
You can probably guess which Uni I'm going to suggest, but it sounds like Reading might be a good option for you! It's like an hour and a half from Cardiff and you are able to do a joint degree that's a BA in English Lit and History (check it out here http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/ug/HistoryandEnglishBA.aspx) Nearly a third of students at Reading do joint degrees, so you wouldn't be alone and you'd have lots of experienced support behind you! I did a joint degree (English Lit and International Relations) and I really enjoyed it. P.S. the English department is AMAZING, they are really really lovely! I don't believe you can do a Major/Minor split, but I'm not too sure...however, in third year you choose your dissertation in just one subject so you would effectively be doing 2/3 of your degree in English and 1/3 in History.
Give it a wee look, I had three amazing years at Reading and it sounds like it might be a good fit for you!
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!
Anja :smile:
Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by UniofReading
Hi!
You can probably guess which Uni I'm going to suggest, but it sounds like Reading might be a good option for you! It's like an hour and a half from Cardiff and you are able to do a joint degree that's a BA in English Lit and History (check it out here http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/ug/HistoryandEnglishBA.aspx) Nearly a third of students at Reading do joint degrees, so you wouldn't be alone and you'd have lots of experienced support behind you! I did a joint degree (English Lit and International Relations) and I really enjoyed it. P.S. the English department is AMAZING, they are really really lovely! I don't believe you can do a Major/Minor split, but I'm not too sure...however, in third year you choose your dissertation in just one subject so you would effectively be doing 2/3 of your degree in English and 1/3 in History.
Give it a wee look, I had three amazing years at Reading and it sounds like it might be a good fit for you!
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!
Student Ambassador

I have already looked at Reading as a possibility and I'm hoping to attend their open day this month! Are Reading degrees valued by employers? I'm not sure if Reading is in the Russell Group or not, is that a really important aspect when you choosing a university? Also, what is it like to live in Reading? Coming from a smallish city like Cardiff I'm not really used to super busy places!
Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by lizx
I have already looked at Reading as a possibility and I'm hoping to attend their open day this month! Are Reading degrees valued by employers? I'm not sure if Reading is in the Russell Group or not, is that a really important aspect when you choosing a university? Also, what is it like to live in Reading? Coming from a smallish city like Cardiff I'm not really used to super busy places!
Thanks for your help :smile:

Hiya!
That's exciting! Open Days are really good at Reading, it's a great way to get to see the uni as the campus is a huge reason a lot of people come! Reading isn't in the Russell Group, but student satisfaction is really high and it's in the top 1% of universities worldwide!
Reading is a perfect town in which to go to uni-I didn't realize how good until I graduated! The campus is a 25 minute walk from the centre of town, but totally self-contained. Best of both worlds really! When you come, I'd totally recommend getting the bus to town or taking a stroll down :smile: Has REALLY good shopping! It's not super busy, and everything is quite centralized. It has every chain you can imagine so all the amenities will be similar to Cardiff, but on a slightly smaller scale.
Does that help a bit?

Quick Reply

Latest