The Student Room Group

Do I 'name drop' in my personal statement?

I'm applying to study English Literature at university for 2015, and was wondering whether to 'name drop' in my personal statement.

For example, I have attended readings by the poet laureate, Carol Ann Duffy, and have been to lectures from Benjamin Markovits (author and lecturer at the Royal Holloway), do I say that or be more vague and say 'I have attended readings from the poet laureate and have been lectured by an author about romanticism'?

Thanks in advance
If you're mentioning the lectures/readings, then mention the names of the authors/poets.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
If you're mentioning the lectures/readings, then mention the names of the authors/poets.

Thanks alot man
Yes. Do.
But don't do it in a way that sounds like you're bragging. Talk about how it enriches you and how you really do find English literature interesting.

By the way, you will have to remember that at interviews you're going to be asked about it. So prepare.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by ChildInDisguise
Yes. Do.
But don't do it in a way that sounds like you're bragging. Talk about how it enriches you and how you really do find English literature interesting.

By the way, you will have to remember that at interviews you're going to be asked about it. So prepare.

Good luck!

Ahah, thanks alot, luckily English doesn't usually interview :biggrin:
Original post by Willburrr
Ahah, thanks alot, luckily English doesn't usually interview :biggrin:

Lucky! I hated the interviews :tongue: not even phone ones?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending