The Student Room Group

Who agrees with this comment?

It really doesn’t matter who leads the Labour party. The last 10 years have been a disaster for this country. A way of life that took hundreds of years to evolve has been systematically dismantled. That wonderful British quality, so difficult to describe, has gone for ever and the damage can never be repaired. All the things that made this a great country to live in have been rubbished or destroyed by New Labour. So it really doesn't matter at this late stage who leads. The damage has been done.

On the subject of 'Who would be best to lead Labour?' on Have Your Say at the BBC website, I came across this comment (it's the most recommended comment on the issue) and I couldn't agree more with the guy. Why do people continue to vote for New Labour? Do you agree with this persons comment?
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=2&threadID=3751&edition=1&ttl=20060910204739&#paginator

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's a load of bull****. What "wonderful British quality" is he on about?
Reply 2
I would agree with it, but being an optimist i would say there is still time to change and undo the wrongs.
I get his (or her) gist though.

New Labour has been rather authoritarian by curbing civil liberties in the name of "protection from terrorism".

Why do people continue to vote for New Labour?

Because in 1997, most people wanted the Tories out and wanted a change. In 2001, the Tories failed to make themselves a viable alternative and people still generally liked New Labour. In 2005, Labour may have won, but their reduced Commons majority reflected unease about the Iraq war. That's why :p: .
Reply 4
Big Y
I think it's a load of bull****. What "wonderful British quality" is he on about?

Yet another person who thinks all Brits are scum (less himself of course...), and then most likely calls anyone who disagrees a racist...:rolleyes:.

Yeah I agree with the guy, Labour have, as they always do, played by their own rules and no-one elses, with not a care given to the electorate which has too labour unders it so called 'policies'.
Reply 5
tehjonny
Yet another person who thinks all Brits are scum (less himself of course...), and then most likely calls anyone who disagrees a racist...:rolleyes:.

Rascist? are you completely moronic?

And what " wonderful" British quality are you talking about? I'd like some details please....
Reply 6
tehjonny

LOL. You got all that from my post?
Pray, tell me more about the "quality" referred to rather than spouting your absurd bile.
Reply 7
The people who are denying 'British culture' are probably immigrants themselves. No wonder integration is failing miserably.
Reply 8
D00
The people who are denying 'British culture' are probably immigrants themselves. No wonder integration is failing miserably.

Who's denying British culture in this thread?
Reply 9
D00 actually try and give an example of british culture before you make idiotic generalisations
Reply 10
Who are you referring to?
Reply 11
Phillip
D00 actually try and give an example of british culture before you make idiotic generalisations

Surely you're not suggesting that such a thing does not exist?
Reply 12
Surely you're not suggesting that such a thing does not exist?

i think he wants to know what that term was actually referring to.
Reply 13
Phillip
Rascist? are you completely moronic?

And what " wonderful" British quality are you talking about? I'd like some details please....

I'm simply pointing out the idiocy of comments like that. Every country has that intangible 'feel' to it. Many of us call it culture...to suggest you're own nation does not have any, is ludicrous. I believe you cannot see any given culture so clearly if you live within its framework, because you do not pick up the reference points, the symbols as it were because they are not so defined, put in sharp context (as compared to the experience of tourists/visitors/migrants).
Reply 14
Big Y
LOL. You got all that from my post?
Pray, tell me more about the "quality" referred to rather than spouting your absurd bile.

My absurd bile...you got that all from one post? :tongue:
Reply 15
Phillip

You yourself have made an idiotic generalisation in suggesting (seemingly), that Britain has no real culture/s. The onus is upon you to proof it does not exist as much as it is on him to prove it does. If you believe British culture can be defined in a few lines, you're deluding yourself as to the nature of culture.
Reply 16
I agree 100% with this comment.
Britain has a culture, but like all other cultures its fluid, and flexible. I don't think labour is to blame for "the erosion of culture".
Reply 18
tehjonny
My absurd bile...you got that all from one post? :tongue:

Yes I did. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
tehjonny
I'm simply pointing out the idiocy of comments like that. Every country has that intangible 'feel' to it. Many of us call it culture...to suggest you're own nation does not have any, is ludicrous. I believe you cannot see any given culture so clearly if you live within its framework, because you do not pick up the reference points, the symbols as it were because they are not so defined, put in sharp context (as compared to the experience of tourists/visitors/migrants).

Now that you've decided to explain what you think was meant by "quality", I still think it's a ridiculous notion that a political party has destroyed the culture.

Latest

Trending

Trending