The Student Room Group

International student + parents during freshers

My parents will be staying in a nearby hotel for about 3 days (move in day + the 2 days after that).

Seeing the recent threads on here, it seems that parents accompanying students during freshers is really unorthodox. Does anybody have any experience with parents + freshers?

Will people judge me if I go to the bank and open a bank account with my parents?
Is it really that big of a deal if out of the 3 days that my parents are here, I eat 2 or 3 meals with them instead of with my flat mates?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iamyourmum
My parents will be staying in a nearby hotel for about 3 days (move in day + the 2 days after that).

Seeing the recent threads on here, it seems that parents accompanying students during freshers is really unorthodox. Does anybody have any experience with parents + freshers?

Will people judge me if I go to the bank and open a bank account with my parents?
Is it really that big of a deal if out of the 3 days that my parents are here, I eat 2 or 3 meals with them instead of with my flat mates?

Having them stay in a hotel near you is completely different to having them stay with you in halls! In halls they'd really be intruding into your own space and that of your flatmates. Depending on the layout of your halls, for the first couple of days at least I doubt you'll be eating with your flatmates either. Even if you don't go out most of the nights, the other people in your halls most likely will so you won't see them at evening meals in Freshers. No one will mind if you eat lunch with your parents. And it's completely normal to set up a bank account with them! There's a difference between them helping you get set up and keeping their distance and them being really all up in your business. As long as they're in a hotel and aren't attending your freshers events alongside you, it's fine!

Quick Reply

Latest