The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

South Asian the most hated ethnic group in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
There are more shootings in London/Manchester/Liverpool. Bradford doesn't have as much sexual abuse as other cities ie Rottheram.

Have you ever been Bradford?
Also there are lots of non south asians living there/going university.
Tbh I was surprised by the amount I saw in that park thing with the fountain

I've lived in Bradford for 11 years and the small redeeming features do not make up for the state of it.

London and Manchester are several times larger. I very much doubt that, I've no doubt we will see fairly shocking numbers from Bradford.
Meh ... I still hate the French more.
Original post by bubadeeboop
Meh ... I still hate the French more.

Why the French?
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
I've lived in Bradford for 11 years and the small redeeming features do not make up for the state of it.

London and Manchester are several times larger. I very much doubt that, I've no doubt we will see fairly shocking numbers from Bradford.

Are you asian?
Original post by Ahmed21
After reading through several pages of threads on this forum and others I have noticed that South Asian have a lot of 'hate' mockery etc against them?

Why is this they case?

Please let us debate and get the bottom of this, be free to speak your mind but don't be racist.

I have always been quite paranoid of this issue before coming to UK to study..:frown: But so far, I'm glad I haven't come across any sort of discrimination considering that from where I stay, Birmingham is a very diverse city.
It could be many reasons for this:

1) South Asian are mostly associated with Islam since many Muslims come from those countries. Many have pre-conceived notions about Muslims which are generally bad; extremists and whatnot.

2) People think that Asians come to foreign countries to take away the locals' rights in term of education or other social benefits which the locals think should have been theirs only? But it could be other people from different race, nationalities too, not just Asians...

3) Most Asians admire qualities found on the white people (British, American etc) hence it is widely believed (at least among us Asians) that the white people have 'superiority complex" that makes other people from different race seem inferior. So it could be that they take pride in this and use it as an ego boost...

4) Or it could be just some rednecks that enjoy making a mockery out of people for no apparent reason just to feel good about themselves.

These are the points I could think of at the moment. Since you are a guy (judging from your name haha), you wouldn't be having too much troubles as I do as a hijabi. Again, there's always nothing right in the eyes of society. British people are one of the nicest lot that I've known but I know that some South Asians people do make fun of one another too at times :confused:
I don't hate Asians
Original post by Qari
Are you asian?

Whiter than white.
Original post by JJXX212
Probably due to the fact that most South Asian men are mistaken for/ or are actually, Muslim.

Muslim's are generally the scapegoat in the media and are a common target of hatred.

It therefore makes sense that South Asian's have a lot of hatred and mockery against them.

(Btw: I'm white and don't have any problem with South Asians. I have quite a lot of Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi friends and find most of them to be really nice people.)

You can't blame the media for the fact that some Muslims are doing disgusting things throughout the world. Would you prefer the media to not report on that?
Original post by inc0gnito
Why the French?

They know why *shakes fist*
Reply 29
Original post by Rakas21
Whiter than white.

Now I understood your point

Original post by tengentoppa
You can't blame the media for the fact that some Muslims are doing disgusting things throughout the world. Would you prefer the media to not report on that?

I think what he meant was that the media focus more on Muslim criminals than others.
Original post by Qari
There are more shootings in London/Manchester/Liverpool. Bradford doesn't have as much sexual abuse as other cities ie Rottheram.

Bradford is a dump mate. Manchester has lots of Asians but manages to be a decent city proving that race issues can be overcome with the right attitude. Bradford is an absolute ****hole.
Reply 31
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Bradford is a dump mate. Manchester has lots of Asians but manages to be a decent city proving that race issues can be overcome with the right attitude. Bradford is an absolute ****hole.

What makes it a dump?
What do you mean by race issues?
Original post by Qari
Now I understood your point

I think what he meant was that the media focus more on Muslim criminals than others.

Why does me being white or Asian make a difference? I hardly think the Asians there see it as a shining example of a city.

I'm also generally pro immigration so its not a Ukip type agenda.
Reply 33
Original post by Rakas21
Why does me being white or Asian make a difference? I hardly think the Asians there see it as a shining example of a city.

I'm also generally pro immigration so its not a Ukip type agenda.

Oh I don't doubt how they see the city just the things you listed like the shooting
Original post by Qari
Oh I don't doubt how they see the city just the things you listed like the shooting

Shootings, stabbings. My sister lives in an even worse part and needless to say she knows some very dodgy people.
Original post by Qari
What makes it a dump?
What do you mean by race issues?

It is a horrible place. You can feel the real tension in the air, there is no integration and if anything ever kicks off in this country I hope I'm not in Bradford when it does
Original post by Ahmed21
After reading through several pages of threads on this forum and others I have noticed that South Asian have a lot of 'hate' mockery etc against them?

Why is this they case?

Please let us debate and get the bottom of this, be free to speak your mind but don't be racist.

Probably because there's a lot of immigrants from South Asian Countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh and India, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and from these immigrants majority would be muslim. With the exception of Sri Lanka and India. At least in London. There's well over half a million, people who were not born here but came from these countries, according to 2011 census.

And muslims don't integrate well or mingle much with non-muslims, instead they mingle between themselves so essentially you have different social groups like British Indians, British Muslims etc. who convert entire neighbourhoods to their culture, so you ended up with high street full of halal only places to eat, Islamic clothes shops, cafes, shisha places and as for non muslim shops, they're still staffed predominately with local Muslims so you end up with Pakistani-towns, where people are sort of segregated from the rest.

A lot of immigrant communities do that, think of Italians in New York, China towns in cities across the world. Difference is muslim communities have harder time integrating with non-muslims.

I think that's why.

As for what I think about Muslims, some are quite friendly and all right, as to be expected the whole culture/nation isn't all 100% uniform and just like generalizations about it.

Yet, I have encountered racism from muslims on many occasion, e.g. I went to shops where muslims worked to buy a phone case and then some headphones and the guys by the till wouldn't serve me, they just ignored me and smirked at me.
In a kebab shop I was told to wait when some "brothers" jumped in front the queue to be served.
Then colleagues at work I was doing part-time during uni, would completely ignore others that are non-muslim often and things like company events, x-mass, no muslim would participate or show up yet we'd greet them with things like Eid.
I've also heard very often racist & nasty comments from Muslims, about black people and British. And also the whining about how media is focusing too much on muslims and how every one is islamophobic at same time, which I don't really agree with..

But anyway, I kinda anticipate muslims to be *******s and it doesn't surprise me when they turn out to be. So I guess that's why I dislike them as well, wouldn't call it hate though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yup. I would like to congratulate you on making this post. You are literally inviting the racists.
A lack of integration and understanding from any community will face a backlash, the difference is Muslims specifically Asian Muslims are in the UK in large numbers and the media doesn't exactly portray Muslims or Pakistanis in particular, in a positive light. But at the same time this community does tend to alienate themselves from the rest of the local community in large parts of the country.

Saying that I'm from London and all communities get alone pretty much with everyone, and we all integrate with each other which can't be said about other cities or parts of the country. The main problem is that we live in a 'class' and 'elitism' society, especially in the south.
Reply 39
Original post by Qari

Bradford is the ugliest, dirtiest, rat-hole in Britain. There will be plenty of violent and sexual abuse in that city alright, hidden behind closed doors. Honour killings were a pretty regular occurrence when I lived there and that was many years ago. Now the city would be even more culturally divided. I lived in Leeds for four years and Bradford made Leeds look like Kensington. My brother married a Bradford girl. She escaped Bradistan and they live in Australia. Whole areas of Bradford look like Pakistan has beamed down on a West Yorkshire industrial landscape. The mix makes an incongruous cocktail, like water and oil.

Latest

Trending

Trending