The Student Room Group

What to do at a networking event?

I'm going to be attending an investment banking network event in a weeks time. The main thing is that after talking to them for about 2 minutes, answering what Uni I go to, what I study, why I'm interested in banking. I don't know what else to talk about really. I don't know whether the people there are gonna be HR team or actual employees made to go there to talk.

What type of questions should I ask and what else could I do to look as a really motivated, keen, applicant?
Reply 1
I'd perhaps draw up some funky business cards that you hand out, with contact details, social media sites you use etc...
Networking event usually hosts employees of the various different business lines. This an opportunity to introduce yourselves to them, ask about their profession (these guys love talking about themselves), pick their brains and ask for advice. Generally if you feel the conversation flow was succesful and you want to stay in touch/ask further questions ask for their contact details (usually just their business cards), add them on LinkedIn, maintain contact from time to time and there you have it.. you've 'networked' as they say.
Original post by 0mgJohn
I'd perhaps draw up some funky business cards that you hand out, with contact details, social media sites you use etc...

I would most definitely advise against handing out any of your own business cards to these guys (at this stage), unless you have something they want.

They will not at all take you seriously and will most likely dump it the first opportunity they get. Always ask for their contact details and get in contact with them.. not the other way around.
Reply 4
Original post by 0mgJohn

It's not HR that want to follow up with you, why would you hand your "business card" to them? its the other way around
Reply 5
RE: Last two posts, if you give off a good enough impression and they can see themselves as working with you, or whatever, there's no doubt in my mind that they'd "drop you" should you give them a business card.
Reply 6
Original post by goodnbad
I'm going to be attending an investment banking network event in a weeks time. The main thing is that after talking to them for about 2 minutes, answering what Uni I go to, what I study, why I'm interested in banking. I don't know what else to talk about really. I don't know whether the people there are gonna be HR team or actual employees made to go there to talk.

you're supposed to ask them questions, not talk about yourself. Nobody cares, what they do like it talking about themselves.
Original post by KLL
you're supposed to ask them questions, not talk about yourself. Nobody cares, what they do like it talking about themselves.

Research the employer, pick a hot topic concerning them, ask intelligent and coherent questions, give your opinion on the matter, bodylanguage!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending