The Student Room Group

Investment Banking with a Mechanical Engineering degree?

I am very interested in the world of finance. If I got a first class degree in mechanical engineering, from a university that ranks in the middle, with a couple years experience, could I possibly become an IB?
Since IB is maths intensive and mechanical engineering requires a great understanding of mathematics I would assume that it is possible.

Scroll to see replies

yo, iam a mechanical engineer also who graduated 3 months ago. Iam currently working with a contracting company that installs pipelines for crude oil. Same as u, I recently became very interested with the financial sector, especially investment banking. I would also like to know how to transition from my current job to investment banking.
(edited 9 years ago)
What university do you go too? If it's highly rated, you would be in with a very good shot.
Reply 3
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What university do you go too? If it's highly rated, you would be in with a very good shot.

Its not highly rated, its a mid league uni but its in the top 25 for mechanical engineering. Do I stilll have a chance?
Also what other finance related prospects are there for mechanical engineers?
Original post by Dovahkinn
Its not highly rated, its a mid league uni but its in the top 25 for mechanical engineering. Do I stilll have a chance?

Quite vague, which university is it?
Reply 5
it depends if someone was willing to trust you with their money ultimately,investment banking needs a lot of economic knowledge as well e.g which markets to go into and which to leave its not just all maths. If you can convince a bank or firm to give you an internship that would be the best as you would learn the trade while working.

What university is this we're talking about?

Certain universities within industry carry some level of clout and may have connections to industry.
Reply 7
I don't like it when little kids talk about Finance.

Do a Msc in Finance, then we will talk.
Reply 8
What university is this we're talking about?

Certain universities within industry carry some level of clout and may have connections to industry.

University of Huddersfield, dont really know about its connections to the industry.
University of Huddersfield, dont really know about its connections to the industry.

Judging by the uni brand (from my own experiences), I would strongly advise you consider doing a MSc at an industry named university, for finance, if you're serious about transitioning into IB. Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Cass, Bristol etc.. etc..

I would look into internships as well that you could potentially apply for. Most require 320-340 UCAS (ABB-AAB+) at A level. To stand out you need to demonstrate you have the relevant competencies and you're a worthwhile investment to the firm... i.e good academic achievements, strong ECs & the likes.
Reply 10
Judging by the uni brand (from my own experiences), I would strongly advise you consider doing a MSc at an industry named university, for finance, if you're serious about transitioning into IB. Oxbridge, LSE, LBS, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Cass, Bristol etc.. etc..

I would look into internships as well that you could potentially apply for. Most require 320-340 UCAS (ABB-AAB+) at A level. To stand out you need to demonstrate you have the relevant competencies and you're a worthwhile investment to the firm... i.e good academic achievements, strong ECs & the likes.

Thank you for the advice, do you know of any other finance related prospects for mechanical engineers?
I appreciate the help :smile:
Are these forums only for uk students?
My university is a target university relative to the middle east (top 2nd in the middle east). Big companies come and recruit students to work in their middle east offices such as mckinsey, strategy&(formerly booz and co), booz and hamilton etc. Iam very interested in getting a masters in the UK and getting a job there in investment banking. Iam worries about my GPA though, which is equivalent to a 2.2 honors degree. Iam not sure if further experience in the pipeline industry will help me any much .
wb if i did an Meng at Nottingham would t be easy for me to get into investment banking
Original post by queensboy
I don't like it when little kids talk about Finance.

Do a Msc in Finance, then we will talk.

How does it feel doing an Msc in Finance whilst many in top IB jobs have degrees in the humanities?
Original post by Wedding Crasher
My university is a target university relative to the middle east (top 2nd in the middle east). Big companies come and recruit students to work in their middle east offices such as mckinsey, strategy&(formerly booz and co), booz and hamilton etc. Iam very interested in getting a masters in the UK and getting a job there in investment banking. Iam worries about my GPA though, which is equivalent to a 2.2 honors degree. Iam not sure if further experience in the pipeline industry will help me any much .

A lot of ***** happened through these 4 years. All i know now is that I am not interested in doing IB banking anymore. I don't think I have a chance to make it anyways.
Reply 16
wait this is shocking so you mean to tell me that an engineer can become a IB?
Reply 17
Original post by That'sGreat
How does it feel doing an Msc in Finance whilst many in top IB jobs have degrees in the humanities?
Original post by yafa

What is shocking about it?
Reply 19
a msc degree helps you to work at ib.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending