The Student Room Group

I want to get a degree, but I don't know what to study and i don't have the grades...

Hi guys, i'm in a bit of a muddle right now in my life. I don't have a degree and i would like to go to university, but the problem is, i don't have the qualifications and i have no idea what i would like to study. I just know that i would like to study something and gain a degree.

I applied for assessment for GCSE English & Maths, but they told me that i didn't pass the maths course, therefore i couldn't go on to the full GCSE course, which i found a bit unfair as i thought the course would help me to prepare for the GCSE's.

Anyway, i went to sit the assessment for GCSE English on the 27th of last month, but i still haven't heard anything back from the teacher. I called the college on Thursday to find out if she had marked them, but the admin told me that she has been swamped and she would email me, well, it's Sunday and i have received no email. It is getting frustrating. All i want to do is get my grades in Maths and English, but even this seems like a huge task.

Is Open University a good option, or would it be better to go via traditional university? The thing is, i have been thinking about allied health courses in the NHS, but i would need my GCSE's, and i wouldn't be able to do an allied health degree via OU. However, like i said, i don't really have a concrete idea of what i want for a career, i just would like a degree to allow me the opportunity to get better jobs.

Anyway, some advice would be great.
Reply 1
Why don't you apply for an Access to HE course? They're an alternative to 'A' Levels, recognized by many universities in the UK and are one year long.

There are different pathways for each Access course, you can find them here: https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/search.aspx

Since you're interested in health courses in the NHS, I can imagine an Access to Health Professions, Access to Health Sciences and Access to Nursing and Healthcare being Access courses that might suit you. Some Access courses are free, too. It depends on whether you're in receipt of benefits or maybe if you don't already have GCSE's, A Levels etc.

Oh and a lot of colleges allow students to take a GCSE in Maths or English alongside the Access course.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark.3V
Why don't you apply for an Access to HE course? They're an alternative to 'A' Levels, recognized by many universities in the UK and are one year long.

There are different pathways for each Access course, you can find them here: https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/search.aspx

Since you're interested in health courses in the NHS, I can imagine an Access to Health Professions, Access to Health Sciences and Access to Nursing and Healthcare being Access courses that might suit you. Some Access courses are free, too. It depends on whether you're in receipt of benefits or maybe if you don't already have GCSE's, A Levels etc.

Oh and a lot of colleges allow students to take a GCSE in Maths or English alongside the Access course.

I was going to apply for an access course, but the problem was, i heard that many were only allowing students on to the courses if they had GCSE in Maths and English.

Also, although allied health courses are something i've considered, i don't truly know what i want to study. I guess i just want to study for a degree, but not really knowing what exactly.

I have already completed a level 3 BTEC course at college a few years ago, so i wouldn't be eligible to gain entry on to an access course for free. However, because of my age, i believe i would be able to apply for a student loan/grant for 24+
Reply 3
HI.From this year most of the colleges asking for gcse english and maths before applying for access course.At the last moment only one college enrolled me.I have an overseas as level equivalent certificate but it doesnot count for english.I dont know what should i do?will the uni accepting ielts from next year or not?can somebody help me plz?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending