The Student Room Group

Doing Maths A-level with C grade at GCSE? Nay or Yay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 14D ROAD
I've seen this comment every ***** where and it's totally absurd

"C1 is A* gcse maths"

C1 is probably the easiest thing I've come across in my life

Integr. and Differe. are very very easy when you get the grasp of it. Integration is basically division and Differentiation is multiplication. Obviously it gets a little complex with fractions involved but overall it's easy. 6x^1/3 = 2x^-1/3 so ***** easy.

Most of the Algebra in C1 is actually FUN.

Series and Sequences just requires memory.

CoordinateGeometry is where most people slip up but it's very easy again

Surds is B grade gcse but the Surds at C1 is high A gcse. Again very easy.

Most of the first 6 question are easier than some of the high end gcse maths.

I'd say C2 is where it tests your knowledge

gg

Are you sure that differentiation is "so ***** easy." when you haven't differentiated 6x1/36x^{1/3} correctly? :rolleyes:

Whilst I agree with most of your points, you're only covering C1 - not C2 except from saying that it'll test your knowledge and you haven't even mentioned S1, M1 or D1 in respect to a C grade maths student.

"gg".
Original post by Cherry82
Hi everyone,
Ok I know this sounds absurd but I would like to do Maths a-level though I got a C grade in GCSE. I've realised I need to practice instead and be positive. I know it would be a lot of hard work however I now have a tutor also I would like to really focus. The only thing is how time consuming do you think this will be. On top of that, I'm doing Biology, English Literature and Drama? Why I'm asking is because I'm focusing on a music career too and I have a chance of being signed.

Depends on why you achieved a C

If you did Foundation - No - you are missing all of the expected prior knowledge - unless your school makes a habit of accepting C grade students on the A level course they will not be covering the material missed

If you did Higher and tried hard - No - even with hard work you only understood a third of the material being taught at GCSE - again this knowledge will be assumed

If you did Higher and made no effort - then it really depends on your capacity to change your work habits

In order to achieve a reasonable grade at AS you will need to practice all of the Higher GCSE course as well as learning and practising the new material - this will be an awful lot of extra work and will detract from your other courses - if you were doing something that needed maths I would say - ask your teachers and if they say yes then have a go - as it is I think that you would be better focussing on your other areas of study
Reply 82
Original post by Blood
Are you sure that differentiation is "so ***** easy." when you haven't differentiated 6x1/36x^{1/3} correctly? :rolleyes:

Whilst I agree with most of your points, you're only covering C1 - not C2 except from saying that it'll test your knowledge and you haven't even mentioned S1, M1 or D1 in respect to a C grade maths student.

"gg".

-2/3*

gg
NAY NAY NAY ABORT. A level maths is difficult so be prepared!
Reply 84
Original post by chocomoco
NAY NAY NAY ABORT. A level maths is difficult so be prepared!

Would you say it's more difficult then physics/bio/ chem?
Reply 85
Original post by gdunne42
As a maths graduate and moderately successful musician, I'd strongly recommend you use your valuable time to practice, practice, practice your musical talents and get that contract.

Really? I was told that what I am doing is weak, that I need to know the core foundation of things. People look down on me because I am not doing these well respected a levels. My family has this tradition where they go to top universities then there's me who will probably study English lit, drama, psychology and media studies then go to a regular university and focus on my career. My father went to Cambridge and this is what I give him. My brothers, sisters and cousins are either doctors, lawyers, teachers or in an uni about to finish their final year. Then there's me...
What if things go wrong and I don't get that deal? Then how will I get a job. I'd have to go back to university and start all over.
Really? I was told that what I am doing is weak, that I need to know the core foundation of things. People look down on me because I am not doing these well respected a levels. My family has this tradition where they go to top universities then there's me who will probably study English lit, drama, psychology and media studies then go to a regular university and focus on my career. My father went to Cambridge and this is what I give him. My brothers, sisters and cousins are either doctors, lawyers, teachers or in an uni about to finish their final year. Then there's me...
What if things go wrong and I don't get that deal? Then how will I get a job. I'd have to go back to university and start all over.

Your decision is about your future, not about your father or your other relatives.
Choose A levels that you are interested in and expect to do well in.
If you have the talent and ambition to succeed in a musical career then go for it!

Did your C come from studying foundation level? Did it come from working your socks off at higher level? You need to think whether A level maths is realistic for you.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I say no, I know people who got a B at GCSE and really tried in maths but still only got a D or a C... you need a very good reason for doing so poorly at GCSE (not trying to sound harsh or anything) because a C just isn't good enough :frown:. I would say definitely don't do it, but I don't know prove me wrong and do it but I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by crayolaguy
I say no, I know people who got a B at GCSE and really tried in maths but still only got a D or a C... you need a very good reason for doing so poorly at GCSE (not trying to sound harsh or anything) because a C just isn't good enough :frown:. I would say definitely don't do it, but I don't know prove me wrong and do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

A pass C grade at GCSE is not poor. All you really clever people, private and posh schools make it sound like it is by having unrealistic standards compared to normal schools and people. A C grade being poor is your own standards, not for the majority. The majority of my friends got Ds and below. Fails at GCSEs are poor. You can't pass something and say it's a poor mark.

A level maths is hard and I think you should only take it with an A or above at GCSE as maths is mainly natural talent.
Reply 89
Would you say it's more difficult then physics/bio/ chem?

Yes it is, but it depends how your mind works. I have all 3 sciences at A Level and could not grasp maths at all. I only fell down at physics and that was when it became mathematical.
Hi everyone,
Ok I know this sounds absurd but I would like to do Maths a-level though I got a C grade in GCSE. I've realised I need to practice instead and be positive. I know it would be a lot of hard work however I now have a tutor also I would like to really focus. The only thing is how time consuming do you think this will be. On top of that, I'm doing Biology, English Literature and Drama? Why I'm asking is because I'm focusing on a music career too and I have a chance of being signed.

Hmm. I got a borderline A/A* (i got an A) in gcse maths and a rough D in my AS grade. Ignore these people who are just boasting. I actually saw someone say they went to one of the best sixth forms (is that even slightly relevant to your question).

I would say take it but only if you're prepared to drop it after you get your results back. I found AS maths would challenge you in a fun way at the start then the workload would probably overburden you. But hey, you got a C that means you aren't stupid. If you revise everything in learn in lessons starting from Janurary you could get a C in the exams. I think the biggest problem is that most people underestimate it throughout the whole year, i know i did. So if you're determined and allowed do it but you will probably end up dropping it. By the by, you said you wanted to do a music career. Don't rely on maths being one of your final a-levels.
Original post by Strawberry68
A pass C grade at GCSE is not poor. All you really clever people, private and posh schools make it sound like it is by having unrealistic standards compared to normal schools and people. A C grade being poor is your own standards, not for the majority. The majority of my friends got Ds and below. Fails at GCSEs are poor. You can't pass something and say it's a poor mark.

A level maths is hard and I think you should only take it with an A or above at GCSE as maths is mainly natural talent.

I am not trying to offend anyone, and I don't go to a posh or private school or anything like that. My GCSE's were A*BBBBCCCC the A* being in maths, I found A level maths pretty hard to learn the concepts and my A* in maths is with minimal effort. This is no bragging or anything i'm trying to help this person... a C grade at GCSE is sometimes like 25% of a GCSE paper..... that's why I consider it a poor grade, 25% at A level is a U... and A level is loads harder. just saying if you got a C at GCSE then you aren't cut out to do maths.

I got a C in english at GCSE and i'm happy with that grade personally, I wouldn't take it at A level though because i'm better at other things. There may be one miracle story of someone getting a C at GCSE maths then an A at A level, but it's just so unlikely it's not worth the risk of a failed A level.
Reply 92
I got a B at GCSE, wasn't anything special, i didn't even know what BIDMAS was at the start of year 12, worked hard got a C, a few UMS off a B, going for an A, itis possible with effort.
Reply 93
You probably shouldn't but I guess you could always try it for a week and if it seems too difficult ask to switch to a different subject. Obviously it depends on your school/college's policies.
Hi everyone,

in my sixth form you would need at least a B in maths gcse to get onto the course so... good luck anyway if you do choose to do it :smile:
-2/3*

gg

You seem a little out of depth with basic differentiation but at least you tried *pats head sarcastically*

In response to op it will be difficult as a c suggests you don't have that natural maths mind but with hard work there no reason why you can't do well :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by leinad2012
You seem a little out of depth with basic differentiation but at least you tried *pats head sarcastically*

In response to op it will be difficult as a c suggests you don't have that natural maths mind but with hard work there no reason why you can't do well :smile:

Op did a foundation to get a C:/:/:/:/:/;(
Op did a foundation to get a C:/:/:/:/:/;(

And? Not everyone can be blessed with your clearly outstandingly precise mind...
Reply 98
Original post by leinad2012
And? Not everyone can be blessed with your clearly outstandingly precise mind...

But why would one think of doing maths when they did a foundation paper?

Anyway, OP might get all A*s, who knows?
But why would one think of doing maths when they did a foundation paper?

Anyway, OP might get all A*s, who knows?

Its difficult because if op likes the subject or needs it to do what they want to in the future then its harsh to say "you can't do that".

Quick Reply

Latest