The Student Room Group

Doing Maths A-level with C grade at GCSE? Nay or Yay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by gdunne42
Your decision is about your future, not about your father or your other relatives.
Choose A levels that you are interested in and expect to do well in.
If you have the talent and ambition to succeed in a musical career then go for it!

Did your C come from studying foundation level? Did it come from working your socks off at higher level? You need to think whether A level maths is realistic for you.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
I did higher tier. The thing is during year 11, I tried to become organised and when I was organised for a while I began to get good grades in my subjects including maths- I'm talking about B's and A's. Then coursework deadlines showed up and there was no balanced. My homework for maths was to do past papers and for at least two months I didn't take it seriously because I felt I was comfortable with topics. I even had a tutor every Friday so thought I didn't need to review certain concepts. My regrets where leaving things too late and thinking negatively. My friends got A*s and they practiced every day, every lunchtime, I wished I would have listened so I wouldn't have panicked and stayed up the night before to refresh my memory. The sad part is that we had study support and I didn't even show up because I thought mymaths was a better source. I also let distractions take over and other personal things got in the way. No family issue more of me as a person. Anyway, for someone like me, I would have to do maths questions everyday. I feel that I could do this stuff If I stay organised. I did an AS maths past paper and actually got some marks here and there.
Reply 101
Original post by yilmaz33
Hmm. I got a borderline A/A* (i got an A) in gcse maths and a rough D in my AS grade. Ignore these people who are just boasting. I actually saw someone say they went to one of the best sixth forms (is that even slightly relevant to your question).

I would say take it but only if you're prepared to drop it after you get your results back. I found AS maths would challenge you in a fun way at the start then the workload would probably overburden you. But hey, you got a C that means you aren't stupid. If you revise everything in learn in lessons starting from Janurary you could get a C in the exams. I think the biggest problem is that most people underestimate it throughout the whole year, i know i did. So if you're determined and allowed do it but you will probably end up dropping it. By the by, you said you wanted to do a music career. Don't rely on maths being one of your final a-levels.

Wow, maths is that hard? But you passed right? Haha It's ok people can boast if they want, cool by me :smile:. Hm, I see but here's the thing. Since exams are now in May I've noticed that in every course I am doing they have started giving students specifications and exam packs now. I know it sounds a bit mad but for example in Chemistry we would learn something then every 2 weeks have questions from actual past papers on that particular topic so by may we will have past papers for each topic and different questions which I find quite comforting. Thank you. I have to choose between two schools which is killing me as one I had already started and it offers my choices which are science based yet the other goes down more of the arts route. I thought I need a science to become successful or something but as a singer who wants to make it I'm now thinking whether I made the right choice. It just scares me. I hear stories about those who focused so much on their singing career that they didn't have any other options when things didn't work out.
Reply 102
Original post by crayolaguy
I am not trying to offend anyone, and I don't go to a posh or private school or anything like that. My GCSE's were A*BBBBCCCC the A* being in maths, I found A level maths pretty hard to learn the concepts and my A* in maths is with minimal effort. This is no bragging or anything i'm trying to help this person... a C grade at GCSE is sometimes like 25% of a GCSE paper..... that's why I consider it a poor grade, 25% at A level is a U... and A level is loads harder. just saying if you got a C at GCSE then you aren't cut out to do maths.

I got a C in english at GCSE and i'm happy with that grade personally, I wouldn't take it at A level though because i'm better at other things. There may be one miracle story of someone getting a C at GCSE maths then an A at A level, but it's just so unlikely it's not worth the risk of a failed A level.

Don't worry, I was no where offended by your comment. Instead I understand why a C grade isn't good enough for A-level. You know what's funny though, I also got C's in sciences and technology yet recently did a past paper for biology, chemistry and physics without revising and got an A. I'm not trying to sound snobbish or as if AQA messed things up but some things seemed wrong when A* students in my school received Cs. My whole year seemed disappointed with their grades. This only seems to be our school though. Maths I understand though, edexcel was fair but with other subjects things seemed off track. I busted my butt off for tech especially as I go to a technology school yet got a C overall. I wish I could have shown you guys my coursework too. Ah, still makes me mad!
I wouldn't but my mate got a* at GCSE and rarely revised, his overall A level result in maths ended with a B and that was with a lot of revision.

But if you put in a lot of effort, then sure go ahead but it'll be extremely hard, rewarding if you get a decent grade though!
Original post by Cherry82
Don't worry, I was no where offended by your comment. Instead I understand why a C grade isn't good enough for A-level. You know what's funny though, I also got C's in sciences and technology yet recently did a past paper for biology, chemistry and physics without revising and got an A. I'm not trying to sound snobbish or as if AQA messed things up but some things seemed wrong when A* students in my school received Cs. My whole year seemed disappointed with their grades. This only seems to be our school though. Maths I understand though, edexcel was fair but with other subjects things seemed off track. I busted my butt off for tech especially as I go to a technology school yet got a C overall. I wish I could have shown you guys my coursework too. Ah, still makes me mad!

that sucks :frown:. Yeah sometimes people don't get the grades they are expecting for lots of reasons, and I don't think GCSE grades should influence your choices but specifically in maths I just think if you couldn't handle GCSE you will need a mircale to handle A level.
Original post by crayolaguy
that sucks :frown:. Yeah sometimes people don't get the grades they are expecting for lots of reasons, and I don't think GCSE grades should influence your choices but specifically in maths I just think if you couldn't handle GCSE you will need a mircale to handle A level.

OP if you can do these questions, you're ready for as maths

[br][br]1.x/3+2x[br][br][br]1. \sqrt x / 3+2\sqrt x[br] 2. 81^-1/4
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]3. 16x/24x^\sqrt x[br]4. Solve 5 + 2/x = 11[br]5. Solve x^2-1x+24 by completing the square.

gg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 14D ROAD
OP if you can do these questions, you're ready for as maths

[br][br]1.x/3+2x[br][br][br]1. \sqrt x / 3+2\sqrt x[br] 2. 81^-1/4
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]3. 16x/24x^\sqrt x[br]4. Solve 5 + 2/x = 11[br]5. Solve x^2-1x+24 by completing the square.

gg

What?
Reply 107
I got a B in GCSE maths and then A*A* in Maths and Further Maths A-levels, off to study Maths at Warwick, if you want it, work hard and you may get it
saying you didn't try w.e will not suffice

I'm gifted in maths as are many many others and we didn't try and got A/A*

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want to do it and feel passionate about the subject then go for it
Original post by pryngles
saying you didn't try w.e will not suffice

I'm gifted in maths as are many many others and we didn't try and got A/A*

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want to do it and feel passionate about the subject then go for it

Think you can solve some of my equations?
Work hard and you'll get A*, don't do any work and expect your GCSE grade to do your exams for you and you get a U. Simple as it gets.
I thought I need a science to become successful or something but as a singer who wants to make it I'm now thinking whether I made the right choice. It just scares me. I hear stories about those who focused so much on their singing career that they didn't have any other options when things didn't work out.

Okay just to give you an insight on the reality of those two paths. You don't need science to be successful at all. My brother's CEO of his company done a b-tec then an engineering degree and now he is the owner of a stock broking firm earning over £300,000 a year. All you need is anything that would show you aren't stupid. For example, law/economics/english these kind of a-levels can help you get into such a wide range of careers. Most of what you learn at a qualified job, they teach you there. You don't start earning a salary and get stuck in on day 1. No chance. There's usually a few years of learning and being on pretty poor pay.

As for the singing path. I am doing a similar thing to you. I am trying to become an actor/director but to shoot for the stars in these kind of unorthodox paths is by doing something that shows raw talent. I am writing a movie script and will send it of to a producer. No acting class/drama class or anything will change if i have talent in this. You either do or you don't. Produce something of your own, roll the dice and you will realise if you're good enough or not.
Is it possible to finish C1+C2 +S1 before 2015 if I self-study?
Depends on what else you are doing, how good you are at maths, what you hope to achieve and whether you can organise yourself for independent study

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest