The Student Room Group

How realistic is it to come home from uni for the weekend every 2 weeks?

I'm starting uni in 2 weeks (eek) and I've already booked my first lot of train tickets home, which will be 2 weeks after I begin. I'm planning on coming home for the weekend on average every 2 weeks, but some weekends may be consecutive and sometimes there will be a gap of 3 weeks before going home. Most of my friends said to wait as long as possible before coming home (only once before Christmas), however, this isn't to do with wanting to go home because of home sickness (which I imagine I will be though). It's to do with sports commitments which I cannot do where my uni is, and it's definitely not an option for me to stop.

So, I was wondering how much this would impact not only my social life, but also my academic life? My plan was to make sure my work is completed during the week and on the weekends that I will be at uni, as I hear that the library is a necessity for revision! I was hoping that by coming home every 2 weeks instead of 1 would be acceptable, and that I would just need good time management and understanding flat mates?
I'm planning on coming home once every two or three weeks from uni, it's only a fifty minute train ride away for home and I haven't even though about it being an issue!
Nobody will care what you do with your weekends, it's your life. You can go home as much or as little as you like at the weekends and on your days off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on how far your uni is. I plan on visiting home often but I wouldn't put a time frame on it-like every two weeks. I will play it by air and go home when I feel like it on the weekends- especially if I join societies or take up a sport which may mean I'm busy on some weekends, alongside that I will be going home during christmas, easter, reading week etc. I don't think it will impact your social life but I do suggest you play it by air and not restrict yourself to every two weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by Wonderer1
It depends on how far your uni is. I plan on visiting home often but I wouldn't put a time frame on it-like every two weeks. I will play it by air and go home when I feel like it on the weekends- especially if I join societies or take up a sport which may mean I'm busy on some weekends, alongside that I will be going home during christmas, easter, reading week etc. I don't think it will impact your social life but I do suggest you play it by air and not restrict yourself to every two weeks.

Of course, although I do have to book the tickets in advance. I will put off going home as long as I can- until the next weekend I need to be back for which could be the next weekend, or in 2/3 or even 4 weeks! So it won't be a set schedule and I can miss a weekend I need to be at home sometimes if something is going on at uni.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending