The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I just assumed I would not get a bursary.

I hope you didn't have to apply for one.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 41
The amount of *real* work from home jobs is unbelievably low.
Companies don't want you to work from home.
There are a million scams and home business opportunities, but they're all scams.
If you physically can't work or for other medical reasons, then there are definitely grants and bursaries that you can get to help support you.
And I'm almost convinced that you don't have to apply for a bursary, Reading will look at who is getting a maintenance grant and who isnt, and they then give out bursaries depening on how much your grant/loan is. So if anyone is getting a grant, and didn't know about the bursary, they will be getting a nice surprise! Although something i remember hearing is that everyone will get a bursary, and i think that if you aren't getting a loan/grant, you will still get £300... but I will check that, so no-one quote me! hehe
Ouch didn't think we had to payout another £140 for our accomodation for freshers week. Oh well, its only this year and we only ever have one freshers week...why moan:p: . I carn't see why people carn't get jobs. If its due to disability then i understand. Any other circumstance then the excuse is viod in my mind. Plus £20 a night aint bad, im going to pay £105 which works out to be £15.52 a day so not much difference.

Anyone know how we pay for the freshers week rent? Or is it just added onto our first accommodation installment ?
Reply 44
You'll get a statement from the university which has the accomodation costs and then a seperate cost added for freshers week, so it all gets paid together. Last year the tuition fees, healthcare centre and sorts centre fees were also on this statement but now im not sure because of this online enrollment thing theyve introduced (well, for existing students anyway, not sure about freshers now) and im not sure if health centre and sports centre membership is still compulsory.
Maybe it's included in our accomodation and tutition fees? *Wishfully thinking*
Anyone not sure about bursaries, go to this website: http://www.rdg.ac.uk/studentfinance2006/uk/bursaries.htm
reading's site has a lot of info on funding and financial support, go to www.reading.ac.uk and click on 'student' at the top right, then the link something like finance and employment.
Hope this helps everyone!
people quit complaining! at least you have soemwhere to live! ill gladly swap with you if you're finidng it that ridiculous :smile:
Reply 48
Yeah, it's due to disability.
I've already been told I have to apply for the access to learning funds, hopefully that will cover the extra £1.5k I have to pay to stay during the summer, though I can't help but feel it won't get that high.

I'm a bit worried about Sherfield being ensuite now... I know I don't have an en suite room. I hope I'm not paying as much as people with an en suite.

I certainly hope the Uni give me a nice bursary, it'll be nice to not have to try and work. To be honest, if I have to work, I probably won't make it through the first term. But, my costs are really, really high compared to most people, unfortunately.

The joys of being disabled.
Reply 49
well i'm really upset now and i'm considering quiting uni because of you guys. so thanks alot for wrecking my life. as for growing up why bother. grow up when im 22 grand in debt.
i only moan because i dont like the way the goverment has turned on students charging us great amounts of money for trying to do well in life when i could sit back on the doll doing sweet f/a.
Reply 50
Don't consider quitting! I don't see anything here that's bad enough to make you consider thatn.

I'm totally with you on the fees and things. My elder brother and sister didn't get loans... they got grants. Money they didn't have to pay back.

The government is complaining that not enough people are going to university, and that we have too much debt in the country... and yet anyone who goes to uni ends up with £3k a year for tuition fees debt, and their loan debt.
It's ridiculous.
Exactly, what on earth were the govt thinking when they made up this. I love it how their plan has backfired and there are 35% less applicants this year. Somebody needs to give them a good old basil fawlty type 'smack on head'! oh well, from what i've heard (although i'm not sure how true this is) students are spending all of their loan, declaring themselves bankrupt, and when you try to get mortgages and stuff, if you said you were bankrupt because of the top-up fees then it doesn't affect your credit ratings and stuff, and then you don't have to pay back the loans.... worth considering lol
Reply 52
Heh, that's a bit of a cheat, yes. So... after 4 years and about £30 of student debt... I can declare myself bankrupt...

Heh

The problem with that, though, is that you can't do ANYTHING financially for a long time after you declare yourself bankrupt.
However... if you live abroad for 5 years, your debts are written off... so.. who's up for working for a foreign company for 5 years after Uni?
:-)
Yeah i'll do it! anything to get away from tony bloody blair!!
Reply 54
Fortunately he won't be around by the time we finish our degrees.
No doubt he'll be on the board of some American company making millions.
He's spending his whole time as PM at the moment ensuring that.

Slimy git.
Reply 55
I think the only good thing the government did with the loans system was making it something you don't actively pay back, it's done on an as and when basis automatically when you're earning. Even this is wiped eventually :smile:
Quite.
As much as I don't want to vote tory next g. election, i sort of feel forced to just because i'm so fed up with labour and blair and this blair-brown agreemenr, and well the lib dems do sod all... and plus the tories were against top-up fees, so they might make up a law that sympathises with us.
Reply 57
Trash, yeah it's when you're earning... but it's only 15K a year.
If you're living in London or the Home counties, 15K a year isn't enough to live on sometimes. Having to pay a chunk of that is awful.
Whereas living in the north west, 15K with a chunk taken out is tons of money.
I've been amazed by the differences in money - I used to live in the north west.
My parents are currently selling their house... in the north west. Asking price £70K. If that same house was in Reading, it'd be £250k.
Reply 58
Yeah Lorraine, it's scary how much the Tories are looking good over Labour.

Though I tend to prefer Lib Dems, but as you say, they've been a bit naff.
The Tories were all for keeping us out of Europe too... odd that they've suddenly become quite a valid option. Though they're a bit useless too.
going back a bit...Its really not that easy to find jobs, especially when you don't have your own transport. Im looking for a job at the moment (going into second year) and i'm limited to places where there are buses and its making it near enough impossible. Its fine if you're near places, but as most people live in student area's jobs nearby go as soon as they're advertised. Plus public transport is comparitively expensive in Reading. £1.40 for a one way ticket to town from childs (last year), whereas my friend in manchester pays £4 a week and can use buses to town anytime she wants. meh sounding really moany, im not, i just think people underestimate how hard it can acutally be to find a job and how hard some people find the money situation. I didn't spend all of my loan in summer term but i've been unable to find a job this summer and i've been paying rent, so im £1000 into my overdraft before i go back. my loan will give me about £300 in the positive but that'll go on my first month of rent and food. I hate having to worry about money like this, and it annoys me that students are put in a situation where money should be such an issue.

Latest