The Student Room Group

Advice on getting a slimmer waist and flatter tummy.

What kind of exercises can be done to achieve a slimmer waist and flatter tummy? How long would it need it be done for to get results/
Eat less

/thread
Reply 2
1000 crunches a day.

It will take 3 months 2 weeks 5 days 6 hours and 4 minutes.
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
What kind of exercises can be done to achieve a slimmer waist and flatter tummy? How long would it need it be done for to get results/

In order to install a suitable program for yourself I need few details.

1. Picture would be advisable, nothing revealing just side pic of your waist. Measurements would be second best.
2. Your average daily diet by calorie count and nutritional breakdown
3. Current exercise program
4. How much time you have on your hands
5. Average hours of sleep
6. Potential smoking, drugs or alcohol habits
7. Medication you take(e.g. Beta blockers for high blood pressure or anxiety are known to increase fat storage)
8. Your posture

This seems thorough but too many factors play a part in weight gain/loss.
Reply 4
Original post by illusionz
Eat less

/thread

Eat less calories*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh lol, exercises for a smaller waist.
Reply 6
Original post by illusionz
Eat less

/thread

This. No exercises specifically target areas for weight loss.

You just have to lose weight.

And yes, just to be anally correct and clear like someone else said, it's eat less calories.
Reply 7
Walk more. Walk about 2 hours a day when you would usually be snacking.
Original post by ElChapo
Eat less calories*

Original post by lou_100
And yes, just to be anally correct and clear like someone else said, it's eat less calories.

sorry guys, it's actually fewer calories
Original post by + polarity -
sorry guys, it's actually fewer calories

polarity pls
Original post by tehforum
polarity pls

just trying to be anally correct and clear like someone else said
Original post by + polarity -
just trying to be anally correct and clear like someone else said

What about this though :

(3a) I’m making four thousand dollars less than last year.
(3b) I’m making four thousand dollars fewer than last year.

Dollars sure looks like countable here, modified as it is by a number and a plural suffix. But I don’t think anyone’s going to argue (3b) is better than (3a) unless they’ve drunk an awful lot of Robert Baker’s Kool-Aid. Why’s that? Probably because we’re not thinking of the individual dollars in the $4000, but rather as the money as a mass. The MWDEU mentions that this same situation holds for a variety of seemingly countable nouns, such as distance, units of time, and statistics.

From here: http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/10-items-or-less-is-just-fine/

I think "less calories" is okay. There I said it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
According to a strict interpretation of grammar rules I think it ought to be 'fewer' calories, since calories are countable, but all grammar rules really are are an identification of precedence, and the precedence in this case is for 'less'. Still, I would say 'fewer', because that's what I'm like.

To Karen, because it's impossible to target weight loss from a specific area, you have to lose weight overall. To do that you want to create a caloric deficit, i.e., to burn more calories than you consume, which means to eat less and/or to exercise more.

Quick Reply

Latest