The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EspDe97
Yeah I agree with you about the facilities, the language learning rooms are really well-equipped and modern. I also just like the Avenue campus in genera. But I probably won't firm Southampton if I get an offer (providing it isn't my only one!) because I think it really would be better to go to both countries. I didn't really like the city either. Where else are you going to apply? :smile:

Yeah I think it would be too. It's really annoying that you're not allowed as everything else language related there seems great! I think I am going to apply to Southampton, Cardiff, Birmingham, Swansea and Bristol. I think Birmingham looks good, but I don't like the compulsory literature modules there. I'm struggling to find somewhere with everything I want, although that's probably just me being fussy haha. Where are you applying? (:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by wallfl0wer
Yeah I think it would be too. It's really annoying that you're not allowed as everything else language related there seems great! I think I am going to apply to Southampton, Cardiff, Birmingham, Swansea and Bristol. I think Birmingham looks good, but I don't like the compulsory literature modules there. I'm struggling to find somewhere with everything I want, although that's probably just me being fussy haha. Where are you applying? (:

Haha yeah, I've been quite fussy as well! I didn't apply for Birmingham because I don't like doing literature, so I've only applied to places where it either isn't compulsory at all or is only compulsory in the first year. I've applied to Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle and Lancaster. I sent my application on Wednesday but have only had acknowledgement emails so far. I would definitely recommend Sheffield, the department there seemed very friendly and welcoming, and the courses are flexible. And the uni in general seems really good too! :smile:
Original post by EspDe97
Haha yeah, I've been quite fussy as well! I didn't apply for Birmingham because I don't like doing literature, so I've only applied to places where it either isn't compulsory at all or is only compulsory in the first year. I've applied to Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle and Lancaster. I sent my application on Wednesday but have only had acknowledgement emails so far. I would definitely recommend Sheffield, the department there seemed very friendly and welcoming, and the courses are flexible. And the uni in general seems really good too! :smile:

Yeah I do feel the same about the literature - I've had enough of that taking English Lit! I haven't yet applied, I can't quite bring myself to finalise it haha. I have looked at Sheffield and it seems good, it's just the location for me, as it's a pretty long way from where I live and I don't really want to go that far away. A lot of courses I like seem to be up in the north, whereas I'm in the south west, which is annoying!
Reply 63
Yeah I do feel the same about the literature - I've had enough of that taking English Lit! I haven't yet applied, I can't quite bring myself to finalise it haha. I have looked at Sheffield and it seems good, it's just the location for me, as it's a pretty long way from where I live and I don't really want to go that far away. A lot of courses I like seem to be up in the north, whereas I'm in the south west, which is annoying!

Haha same, I never liked English! Oh ok, l live in Greater London and the train from Kings Cross takes about 2 and a half hours so its not too far. Luckily none of the other unis I've applied to interview, just Southampton. I'm really hoping I hear back from at least one of them soon, so that I can stop worrying about getting 5 rejections!
Original post by EspDe97
Haha same, I never liked English! Oh ok, l live in Greater London and the train from Kings Cross takes about 2 and a half hours so its not too far. Luckily none of the other unis I've applied to interview, just Southampton. I'm really hoping I hear back from at least one of them soon, so that I can stop worrying about getting 5 rejections!

I'm sure you will be fine! I am really worried about the interview though, I'm really not sure how well that will go haha.
Reply 65
I'm sure you will be fine! I am really worried about the interview though, I'm really not sure how well that will go haha.

Haha same, at least its just the one interview. It probably won't go too well for me, I'm not good at that sort of thing!
Original post by EspDe97
Haha same, at least its just the one interview. It probably won't go too well for me, I'm not good at that sort of thing!

Me neither haha. I've also been considering Exeter, maybe instead of Bristol, but I've missed all the open days so I won't be able to look around until the offer holders' day (assuming I get one!), and I think it may be quite literature based too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone received an offer by them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Me neither haha. I've also been considering Exeter, maybe instead of Bristol, but I've missed all the open days so I won't be able to look around until the offer holders' day (assuming I get one!), and I think it may be quite literature based too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there are more literature based modules than the other unis I'm applying to but I looked on their website and there seem to be enough that aren't to be able to avoid it. And I asked one of the German lecturers at the open day and she said that literature isn't compulsory :smile:
I've received an invitiation for a visit day (applying for CompSci) which includes an "informal interview". Anyone know what that's like?
Original post by Devran22
Has anyone received an offer by them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got an offer today for Modern History and Politics! So happy :colondollar:
Original post by ultralex
Got an offer today for Modern History and Politics! So happy :colondollar:

What are your predicted grades? And congrats:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
What are your predicted grades? And congrats:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! My predicted grades are AAA, yourself?
Invited for an 'Visit day' (with, of course, an interview) :smile: Really excited, I love the look of soton's course, so I should probably take a look at the city too.

I'm pretty excited, but not sure how I'm going to get there on time; Southampton is ~6 to 11 hours away by train, and probably at least 5 by car. I think I'll have to stay overnight. Anyone know of any arrangements with accomodation for that (i.e. do they have spare rooms for people visiting), or will I have to book a hotel.

Thanks
I've been offered a place at Southampton!! I'm really excited!

Now I'll wait for more answers... but, Southampton is good. I'm just concerned with the city safety...
Original post by EspDe97
I think there are more literature based modules than the other unis I'm applying to but I looked on their website and there seem to be enough that aren't to be able to avoid it. And I asked one of the German lecturers at the open day and she said that literature isn't compulsory :smile:

That's really helpful, thank you (: I am hoping to send off my application on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
That's really helpful, thank you (: I am hoping to send off my application on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome :smile: have you decided on your final choices?
Original post by EspDe97
Your welcome :smile: have you decided on your final choices?

Yeah, I'm going Southampton, Exeter, Queen Mary, Cardiff and Swansea (: Good luck with your offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I got invited to a visit day and didn't go, last year. At the time I wasn't 100% on the whole Uni thing. In the end we did a Skype interview and I got an offer the next day. No dramas.
Reply 79
Yeah, I'm going Southampton, Exeter, Queen Mary, Cardiff and Swansea (: Good luck with your offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! You too :smile: I'm really hoping for my first offer next week, everyone at my sixth form seems to be getting multiple already!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending