The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wb25
Just got my application sent off. Thinking of placing Cardiff as first choice for Computer Science. Anyone else applied for computer science ? How long did it take for a reply ?

I applied for computer science, my offer came in about 4 days after I got an acknowledgement email :smile:.
Good luck and I hope you get an offer as well.
If you don't mind me asking, are you currently taking a-level maths?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
- What course are you applying for?
Pharmacy
- What are you currently studying?
Biology, Chemistry and English Literature
- Why Cardiff University?
I love the look of the city (I am a massive Dr Who and Casualty fan... and I love rugby!) and the university is incredibly well respected. Also it's about 4 hours by train so it's not too bad to get to. Course looks pretty good and the % first time pass rates for the final exams are excellent too!
- Have you attended any open days or visits to the University?
Well I have an interview on Wednesday... I've not been to an open day though.

I have an interview on Wednesday too! So nervous!!
Reply 82
Original post by AndiaChanda
I applied for computer science, my offer came in about 4 days after I got an acknowledgement email :smile:.
Good luck and I hope you get an offer as well.
If you don't mind me asking, are you currently taking a-level maths?

Well done! Thanks.

Yes, I'm taking Maths, Physics and computing at A levels.
Original post by farhana_t
I have an interview on Wednesday too! So nervous!!

Well good luck to you! :smile: Mine was quite stressful I have to say (but it depends entirely who interviews you as to what style they go for- some people I talked to seemed to have had a really informal chat) that it could have been a lot worse. Also questions vary considerably depending on who interviews you so the only advice I can give is be 100% confident with your personal statement and able to explain it! :biggrin:
Original post by wb25
Well done! Thanks.

Yes, I'm taking Maths, Physics and computing at A levels.

Hi, so you know how for the entry requirements in other uni's they ask for maths as a requirement do to comp sci, do you think cardiff is still as good even if they don't ask for maths? Unless I just completely overlooked the part where they said they do need maths.
Well good luck to you! :smile: Mine was quite stressful I have to say (but it depends entirely who interviews you as to what style they go for- some people I talked to seemed to have had a really informal chat) that it could have been a lot worse. Also questions vary considerably depending on who interviews you so the only advice I can give is be 100% confident with your personal statement and able to explain it! :biggrin:

Oh you already had your interview! Lol I assumed you were having it on the 19th
Thanks! Aww hopefully it went well! Have they gotten back to you yet?
Ps thanks for your advice!
- What course are you applying for?
Pharmacy
- What are you currently studying?
Biology, Chemistry and English Literature
- Why Cardiff University?
I love the look of the city (I am a massive Dr Who and Casualty fan... and I love rugby!) and the university is incredibly well respected. Also it's about 4 hours by train so it's not too bad to get to. Course looks pretty good and the % first time pass rates for the final exams are excellent too!
- Have you attended any open days or visits to the University?
Well I have an interview on Wednesday... I've not been to an open day though.

hiya! how did your interview go? mine is this Wednesday any tips?? what type of questions do they ask? x
Reply 87
Original post by AndiaChanda
Hi, so you know how for the entry requirements in other uni's they ask for maths as a requirement do to comp sci, do you think cardiff is still as good even if they don't ask for maths? Unless I just completely overlooked the part where they said they do need maths.

No I don't believe Cardiff asks for math on entry except for the Visual Computing course. I think only the really top top unis ask for maths, although I could be wrong.

I don't think it's too much of a problem though, Cardiff is generally considered a top uni, top 20 I believe.

I would imagine most applicants do maths on entry. If you do not study maths or other science such as physics, entry requirement are 3 A's as opposed to ABB if you study Maths and another Science.
I applied for maths with a year abroad, got this back:

"We have recently written to you, to invite you to attend one of our Open Days. You should receive this letter in the next few days. Note that we only make invitations to applicants to whom we intend to make an offer."

Hopefully this means I will get an offer... I finished A-levels in 2013 and got nowhere near AAB, so I hope so, gonna take a look on Dec 6th anyway. I was hoping to go to Glasgow to do maths with English literature, but they don't want me. The idea of Cardiff is really growing on me though - I'm waiting for a reply from Dundee; if I get in it'll be a toss-up between there and Cardiff (Cardiff will win probably).

Anyone planning on joining any particular societies? The Christian union looks pretty good, and if I go I'd definitely like to have a crack on the student radio too.
Original post by Sixteeen
Any English applicants? :smile:

Applied for maths, but looking at maths w/English lit elsewhere... If I go to Cardiff I'll definitely try and sneak in on some lectures etc etc. How come you're doing English? Would you be up for starting a book-club too maybe? It's something I'd quite like to try if I can find anyone interested :smile:
Original post by wb25
No I don't believe Cardiff asks for math on entry except for the Visual Computing course. I think only the really top top unis ask for maths, although I could be wrong.

I don't think it's too much of a problem though, Cardiff is generally considered a top uni, top 20 I believe.

I would imagine most applicants do maths on entry. If you do not study maths or other science such as physics, entry requirement are 3 A's as opposed to ABB if you study Maths and another Science.

Oh okay, thanks.
Original post by noora1996
hiya! how did your interview go? mine is this Wednesday any tips?? what type of questions do they ask? x

Relax as the interview is just to check you are enthusiastic about Pharmacy and know what it involves- I was told a likely outcome is to get an offer.
Questions for me were mostly based on my personal statement- but it entirely depends who interviews you as- from what I've gathered- different interviewers go for different approaches. Just be able to go into detail with anything you've written on your PS and good luck! :biggrin:

Original post by farhana_t
Oh you already had your interview! Lol I assumed you were having it on the 19th
Thanks! Aww hopefully it went well! Have they gotten back to you yet?
Ps thanks for your advice!

The first batch of interviews was on the 12th so at least I got mine over with! :tongue: I think it went ok (I really have no idea) and I'm supposed to hear back at the latest on Wednesday. Really nervous now as Cardiff would probably be my firm if I was given an offer!
I applied to genetics on october 15th and recieved a confirmation that theyve recieved my application on the 17th, but still havent had any reply since? should I be worried as this seems like its taking a long time compared to everyone else on here.
Reply 93
Hey :smile:

I have applied at these Uni's:
Cardiff - Business Economics (Conditional offer of AAB)
Liverpool - Business Economics (Conditional offer of ABB)
Reading - Business Economics (Conditional offer of AAB)
Plymouth - Business Economics (Conditional offer of CCC)
Sussex - Economics (No offer yet)

I am currently studying Economics, Sociology and English Literature and I got AAAC at AS Level. Cardiff is my first choice, I am just unsure of accommodation? I want to apply the the new one as it will have the best facilities but I haven't actually seen it. Has anyone?
Original post by seonao

I am currently studying Economics, Sociology and English Literature and I got AAAC at AS Level. Cardiff is my first choice, I am just unsure of accommodation? I want to apply the the new one as it will have the best facilities but I haven't actually seen it. Has anyone?

I've also got one from Cardiff for the same course at AAB. I've applied for Economics and Finance at Sussex and have not even had an acknowledgement. I went to Cardiff and they mentioned the new accommodation but it wasn't shown, don't think it is on their website either, i'm going to firm it regardless.
Reply 95
I got BBB at As level as well as meet all the pre-requisites of Bsc management. My predicted are BBB as well as my recommendations are good. Would i extended an offer or not?
Reply 96
I've applied for Biology and awaiting a reply, looking through these posts I can see that the typical offer is AAB. As I'm Welsh and I am doing the Welsh Bacc, would an A in that count as an A within the offer?
Reply 97
Original post by seonao

Congrats on your offers :smile: How long after sending your application did reading give you an offer?
Reply 98
Original post by Aaronfm2
Just received my Offer for Business Management! love how quick they were!... only sent to ucas last wednesday haha

Hey! Congrats on your Offer. Could you please tell me what were your As grades as well as predicted?

Thanks
Reply 99
Original post by AmyT997
Congrats on your offers :smile: How long after sending your application did reading give you an offer?

Thanks so much :smile: Reading got back to me within 6 days! They were the first of my 5 to reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending