The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jimmythecricket
Hahahaa you get me man, what subject you applying for? I still have moves like jagger and can flick my hair back and forth etc..... Nice to know I'm not the only oldie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forensic computing for me
Yeah we'll teach these kids how to shake it =3
Years more practice XD

What accommodation you looking at, i'm so feeling the village!
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by maaitriii
Loool yup u guys r old ������

Oi oi, less of that cheeky XD
Original post by Ryankffx
Oi oi, less of that cheeky XD

lool hmm im considering bournemouth as a firm if i dnt get a offer from portsmouth
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a good Christmas break and not stressing too much about UCAS applications! Whether you're decided on BU or you're still making up your mind, I thought it might help to hear from one of our current students on why she chose BU.. We've got lots of other helpful pieces on our Undergraduate Blog, so have a look around!

Merry Christmas!

Katie
Reply 84
Original post by turiga28
I am planning to study computing at Bournemouth university?What are the campus like?and the night life?Where do you go in your free time?

Hi turiga28!
I am currently in my 2nd year at Bournemouth University, studying Archaeological, Anthropology and Forensic Sciences.

I am absolutely loving BU and at the moment, they are putting a lot of money into the Talbot Campus by building two new academic buildings. They are going to be really good for the campus. There are actually 2 campuses for BU, one at Lansdowne and one at Talbot. the majority of courses are based at Talbot Campus, including Computing. Talbot Campus is really good and has quite a bit of study space, although there are limited computers for use, ast busy periods it is difficult to get hold of one, but this problem should be eased when the new building opens. The lecture theatres are good and most of the campus is quite modern. There is also a good choice of food (great prices) on campus, a few starbucks and costa coffee shops, and there is the student bar and pub type place on talbot too.

The nightlife is really good and all but one of the student halls are like a minutes walk from the town centre so everything is really accessible! There are lots of clubs and pubs, the student union club is called the Old Fire Station and has events on almost every night, my favourite is the comedy night for a chill evening out and the friday cheesey music night!

I don't actually have much free time as such as I fill it with alot of activities. I have started Karate this year at BUSport (the gym on campus) and also have a couple of paid jobs at the uni as a Student Ambassador and a Peer Assisted Learning Leader. There is alot going on around Bournemouth though, there is the beach, obvs! That is beautiful to visit and great fun, the shopping is good to if that is what you like, there is a cinema, and load of clubs and societies within the uni too!

Hope that has helped you a bit with what Bournemouth is like, let me know if you have any other questions or want to know anymore! :biggrin:

Good luck with your choices and Merry Christmas!

Amber
Reply 85
Hey. I got offers from Bournemouth university and loughborough for Sports Management. I don't know where they've got a better course. Can anyone please help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I've got a question for current / post students and BU themselves,
if a student has a piece of software they wish to develop throughout the course of the degree (software that will be marketed for a substantial amount :wink:) is there availability to put it through as a piece of academic work?

Furthermore is there any support for students to develop software within the university?
Hey guys I just wanted to know how long did you have to wait for an offer/rejection after sending off your application. I sent my UCAS form off a month ago but I still haven't heard anything
Original post by TheIndecent
Hey guys I just wanted to know how long did you have to wait for an offer/rejection after sending off your application. I sent my UCAS form off a month ago but I still haven't heard anything

Bournemouth took me around 2.5 weeks.

Remember, right now is the Christmas break and most Uni's are closed until 5th Jan, so don't expect a word this week.
Thanks
Original post by SuperSah
Bournemouth took me around 2.5 weeks.

Remember, right now is the Christmas break and most Uni's are closed until 5th Jan, so don't expect a word this week.
I recently got an unconditional offer in regards to Script writing for film and television and was wondering if I could get people's opinions on Bournemouth? I'll be coming over from Australia :smile:

-What accommodation would people recommend? I'm thinking Cranborne?
-Is there anyone here who is doing script writing or anything media related?
-What do people think of Bournemouth? What are your impressions? I never had the opportunity to visit it

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Hi everybody! I'm an international student and two days ago applied for a PR course at the BU! :smile: The more I read about that uni, the more fascinated I am by this place and I'm really afraid that I'll be soooo disappointed if I don't get an offer from them... Hopefully, I will! :biggrin:
Original post by gondalaver
Hi everybody! I'm an international student and two days ago applied for a PR course at the BU! :smile: The more I read about that uni, the more fascinated I am by this place and I'm really afraid that I'll be soooo disappointed if I don't get an offer from them... Hopefully, I will! :biggrin:

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get what you want.

The more I read about it and see, the more I just want to accept the unconditional! :tongue:
Reply 93
Is anyone here applying for Event Management?

BU is the last uni I'm waiting for an offer from, and annoyingly it's my favourite haha
Original post by Ryankffx
I've got a question for current / post students and BU themselves,
if a student has a piece of software they wish to develop throughout the course of the degree (software that will be marketed for a substantial amount :wink:) is there availability to put it through as a piece of academic work?

Furthermore is there any support for students to develop software within the university?

Hi Ryankffx,

Interesting question! This partly depends on which course you're thinking of studying. Some former Computing Framework students have developed code for sale in the past, but quite often know how they want to take it on to the market. Course staff will always provide guidance where they can. You can also use the facilities at BU to help with developing your software.

With regards to putting it through as an academic assessment, the courses are structured so that you learn specific skills, so you probably won't be able to use this.

Great to hear that you're so pro-active and looking for extra opportunities! I hope this has helped and let me know if you have any more questions.

Katie
Original post by josiekent
I recently got an unconditional offer in regards to Script writing for film and television and was wondering if I could get people's opinions on Bournemouth? I'll be coming over from Australia :smile:

-What accommodation would people recommend? I'm thinking Cranborne?
-Is there anyone here who is doing script writing or anything media related?
-What do people think of Bournemouth? What are your impressions? I never had the opportunity to visit it

Thanks guys :biggrin:

Hi Josiekent,

I am in my third year at Bournemouth so can firstly say it's great here, such a nice town, great for students and ha connections to the rest of the UK too.

Accommodation - if you want to you can view this all online and see the 360 degree video's which are available.

All the accommodation is near the heart of the town so you have every amenity and the night life :smile: within walking distance.

I am not doing the courses you mentioned but I do know we have one of the best media suites in the country (its won awards and everything!) and lots of arts societies so you can really get involved with activities around your subject while you are here.

Also I don't think you can beat three years by the lovely sandy beach either so that's always a bonus.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I am one of several Bournemouth University ambassadors on this website so I am sure we can find you the information you want.

Good Luck with the application

Mish :smile:
Original post by msmith95
Is anyone here applying for Event Management?

BU is the last uni I'm waiting for an offer from, and annoyingly it's my favourite haha

Don't forget that the Uni has been closed from 24th December until the 5th Jan so you were unlikely to get a reply during these times.

Good Luck though

Original post by Kratin
Hey. I got offers from Bournemouth university and loughborough for Sports Management. I don't know where they've got a better course. Can anyone please help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Kratin,

As a Bournemouth student I am going to have to say Bournemouth!!

The location of the University has to be Loughborough anyday lol. Seriously though one way of seeing this is to check out how they are ranked by the people who have done the course. Websites like www.whatuni.com are a good place to look and also you can have a look through last years National Student Survey results to see about student satisfaction. https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

One thing that can be said about Bournemouth is the amount of investment being made into the facilities here on campus and the fantastic sports facilities we have too. They even timetable (for the most part) around Varsity sports too so this is something that you can get involved in too.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions then please feel free to ask.

Hiya guys,

Talking oldies - I started when I was 36 so 25 is nothing!! The Uni caters for everyone of ALL ages so don't worry about that at all!!

There is a strong mature student presence on campus which is nice I think.

Good Luck with the applications and UCAS

Reply 99
Original post by LouieSax
Hey Guys :smile:
I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who, like me, is thinking of applying to Bournemouth University for September 2015 entry? Thought I'd break the ice with a few questions:

-What course are you applying for?
-What are you currently studying?
- Why Bournemouth University?
- Have you attended an open day or visit?

Thought we'd use this thread to keep up to date on applications and general news about the university. :smile:

---

Connect to Bournemouth University here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.

Hiya!
i'm thinking of applying to BU for the Sept 2015 start- hoping to study Adult Nursing!
I loooove the sound of Cranbourne house too! just so nervous about moving away, really worried about having no money to live on and stuff too!!

Quick Reply