The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Bus pass, is it worth it?

As above.... It's £170 for a years unlimited travel, but is it worth it? Opinions?
Original post by MAXSTARR
As above.... It's £170 for a years unlimited travel, but is it worth it? Opinions?

It depends how much you think you'll use it, but I'd say it definitely is between uni and the town centre is £1.70 single or £2.80 for an all day ticket, but the bus pass entitles you to travel around East Kent, meaning you can explore, go on day trips etc without worrying about the fare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by River Shadow
It depends how much you think you'll use it, but I'd say it definitely is between uni and the town centre is £1.70 single or £2.80 for an all day ticket, but the bus pass entitles you to travel around East Kent, meaning you can explore, go on day trips etc without worrying about the fare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got no idea how much I'd use it to be honest :/. Cheers for the reply!
I've got no idea how much I'd use it to be honest :/. Cheers for the reply!

No problem. I don't know anyone who's regretted getting it/thought it a waste of money to be honest, and I definitely wish I'd had it in first year. It's surprising how quickly the overall cost of an odd bus fare adds up!
It's a pretty decent price for a bus pass, works out as using it around a couple of times a week.

If you're living off-campus it's definitely worth it but it's harder to gauge as a fresher. I got a pass in my first year and found it useful - despite not really ever needing to leave campus (got food delivered) it's always nice to escape into town for a bit. If anything, I found it useful for nights out. If me and my mates got bored of going out on campus, which will inevitably happen, the bus ran late enough into the night to get some pre-drinks down us and hop on it into town rather than walking or forking out for a taxi. If you end up looking for a job and getting one in town/heading to the train station often/wanting to buy your own food rather than get it delivered/anything like that, then it's fair price.
Reply 5
Original post by Champagne Supernova
It's a pretty decent price for a bus pass, works out as using it around a couple of times a week.

If you're living off-campus it's definitely worth it but it's harder to gauge as a fresher. I got a pass in my first year and found it useful - despite not really ever needing to leave campus (got food delivered) it's always nice to escape into town for a bit. If anything, I found it useful for nights out. If me and my mates got bored of going out on campus, which will inevitably happen, the bus ran late enough into the night to get some pre-drinks down us and hop on it into town rather than walking or forking out for a taxi. If you end up looking for a job and getting one in town/heading to the train station often/wanting to buy your own food rather than get it delivered/anything like that, then it's fair price.

Cheers for the advice! think I'm going to go for it. :smile:
Just to add to this, the walk from campus to town is 20-30 mins depending on your walking speed (and the direction), so you don't really ever need to get a bus if you're happy to walk. I know plenty of people who hardly ever caught a bus, and plenty who caught it every day, so it depends on you really.
Cheers for the advice! think I'm going to go for it. :smile:

It's been announced today - or at least I've just read today - that there's now a 24hr service from the uni to town. It'll take a new route from the uni to town going via loads of typical student housing, which it doesn't cover yet.

I'd say this seals the deal for getting one tbh, it'll be way more cost effective to get a bus back than a taxi if you end up on nights out in town :yy:
Depends how often you use it, I go to the city center almost every day so for me, it is worth it.
If you're only going every now and then, best to save your money. Also depends on the distance it takes to get there etc as well :smile:
Reply 9

I lived off campus last year and decided to get it and for me it was definitely worth it. Didn't have to worry about having change each time I wanted to use the bus and I had the freedom to go exploring and use any bus I wanted. The day pass was it think £3.50 and you couldn't buy that on a "Uni Bus" (i tried to) but could travel on any bus including the unibus .... and the "Uni Bus" day pass was £2.70 if I remember correctly and you can only use that on a unibus. I'm getting one again this year as i'll be living off campus.
Reply 10
I think it's worth it.If you check Tripadvisor,you'll find a lot of restaurants and other things which are 'quite far'.
For instance,Longbourne (is that how it's called) is not that close and neither is Ramsgate.
I think I'll take it.
Could you link me to it? I'm interested in getting one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending