The Student Room Group

Will I struggle to do well in a biology degree?

Hi everyone!

I've posted this elsewhere but haven't received a response yet, so I thought I'd try posting here as well.

I'm interested in doing a biology/biological sciences degree. I've done biology at AS level and achieved an A. However, I also did AS Chemistry and found it extremely difficult. I just about scraped a B, but I think I was only about a mark or two away from a C. I'd love to study biology at a reputable university, but I'd be aiming for at least a 2.1 (preferably a 1st). Will I struggle given my ineptitude in chemistry?

I'd like to add that I also struggle a lot with maths. Is biology a maths-heavy degree?

Thanks!
My understanding is that most degrees under the "biological sciences" umbrella involve some level of statistics, the ability to use formulas, the ability to interpret graphs, and the ability to apply basic maths to new calculations. Really, it depends what you mean by "struggle with maths", just scraped a C at GCSE might be a problem- struggled with maths A-level probably won't be.

It's likely a lot of the statistics can be done using computer programs such as SPSS, minitab and even sometimes Excell. So, if you're comfortable with IT, and don't let the idea of "stats" frighten you, then you should be alright. Even if you have to do things by hand, most of the actual maths involved is relatively simple, but there are lots of steps, so it's important to be careful of making mistakes.

I think with the chemistry, it depends what aspects of chemistry you found difficult. You'll have to deal with organic chemistry and molecular biology within a biological sciences degree, I would think you would be able to cope with this if you got a B in Chemistry, but it does depend a bit on the bits you disliked/struggled with.

I would say the issues with maths could be more problematic than the issues with chemistry, depending on the structure of the degree.
Reply 2
I achieved a B in GCSE Maths and a B in GCSE Statistics and haven't done maths at A Level. I do find maths quite difficult - can you give me some examples of the sorts of things I'll be expected to do as part of a biological sciences degree?

Chemistry-wise, I struggled mainly with calculations (so again, the mathematical aspects of chemistry). I struggled to actually apply the maths to chemical concepts.
Original post by la95
I achieved a B in GCSE Maths and a B in GCSE Statistics and haven't done maths at A Level. I do find maths quite difficult - can you give me some examples of the sorts of things I'll be expected to do as part of a biological sciences degree?

Chemistry-wise, I struggled mainly with calculations (so again, the mathematical aspects of chemistry). I struggled to actually apply the maths to chemical concepts.

My specific degree was animal behaviour and welfare, but we shared our statistics sessions with a few other degrees, including biological sciences, but here are the main things we had to do on the course.

Firstly, I would say there were several pieces of coursework that required us to perform various statistics, e.g. chi-squared, t-test, mann-whitney, ANOVA and so on, using various software. We were taught which tests should be applied in which situation, and sometimes were expected to chose which test to apply to our own data (especially in 2nd and 3rd year). You weren't expected to know this from the start of the course, and we studied a stats module in first year and a more advanced module in second year in order to get everyone's knowledge to the same level.

In our labs, we were always expected to do various calculations, such as working out averages, percentages, ratios, producing graphs of results and so on. Some labs or seminars involved us being taught certain skills that involved maths, for example, I took a nutrition module and we were taught about ideal proteins, and the calculations needed in order to ensure an animal is getting enough of each amino acid- the maths involved is relatively simple, but it's applied in a new way. We had one 2 hour session to learn about the concept and the technique and were then set an assignment to complete.

It's also expected you would be able to interpret the results section of journal articles, as you're expected to cite these in your coursework. While this isn't maths as such, as in you don't have to work anything out, you do have to be fairly comfortable doing this.

In various modules we were expected to be comfortable using a range of formulas, mostly in terms of substituting in numbers and rearranging the formula to find out different "unknowns".

There is usually numeracy support available, usually through the library, if there's a particular area of maths you struggle with, and lecturers will often go over something again with you, if you make an appointment.

We also did a fair bit of genetics, which sometimes involved things like punnett squares (which could get fairly complicated). Although it's not really maths as such, some people who struggled with maths found this difficult for similar reasons.

I wouldn't say the maths you have to do is usually difficult, but I would say that you do have to do maths and be comfortable applying (simple) maths without lots of guidance, although there is usually help available if you're really struggling.

Hope this helps a bit.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
My specific degree was animal behaviour and welfare, but we shared our statistics sessions with a few other degrees, including biological sciences, but here are the main things we had to do on the course.

Firstly, I would say there were several pieces of coursework that required us to perform various statistics, e.g. chi-squared, t-test, mann-whitney, ANOVA and so on, using various software. We were taught which tests should be applied in which situation, and sometimes were expected to chose which test to apply to our own data (especially in 2nd and 3rd year). You weren't expected to know this from the start of the course, and we studied a stats module in first year and a more advanced module in second year in order to get everyone's knowledge to the same level.

In our labs, we were always expected to do various calculations, such as working out averages, percentages, ratios, producing graphs of results and so on. Some labs or seminars involved us being taught certain skills that involved maths, for example, I took a nutrition module and we were taught about ideal proteins, and the calculations needed in order to ensure an animal is getting enough of each amino acid- the maths involved is relatively simple, but it's applied in a new way. We had one 2 hour session to learn about the concept and the technique and were then set an assignment to complete.

It's also expected you would be able to interpret the results section of journal articles, as you're expected to cite these in your coursework. While this isn't maths as such, as in you don't have to work anything out, you do have to be fairly comfortable doing this.

In various modules we were expected to be comfortable using a range of formulas, mostly in terms of substituting in numbers and rearranging the formula to find out different "unknowns".

There is usually numeracy support available, usually through the library, if there's a particular area of maths you struggle with, and lecturers will often go over something again with you, if you make an appointment.

We also did a fair bit of genetics, which sometimes involved things like punnett squares (which could get fairly complicated). Although it's not really maths as such, some people who struggled with maths found this difficult for similar reasons.

I wouldn't say the maths you have to do is usually difficult, but I would say that you do have to do maths and be comfortable applying (simple) maths without lots of guidance, although there is usually help available if you're really struggling.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you so much for your response - I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending