The Student Room Group

So self conscious about body shape and flat chest

I see girls on here worried about having small boobs but usually they aren't even that small or they are very petite anyway. I am flat chested but not even skinny! I'm a size 10/12 bottoms but have a 30B chest. The only fat on my boobs is just chub, it looks more like the chest of an overweight man than proper boobs. I can't see how any man could find it attractive, I always see comments about girls with small boobs looking like men :frown:

For an idea of how small they are my top half is similar to this, but then with a bigger bottom half (definitely don't have a thigh gap!)

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't let it bother you and even though guys say they like girls with big tits, they honestly wouldn't care to get into a relationship with a girl with flat chest (unless he is a complete a**hole).

We really aren't that judgmental when it comes to relationship as most women think we are.
I know it's easy to say this, but it's true;

If a man likes you purely for your boobs and any other part of your figure, then he's probably not the one for you anyway. A person should notice you for your personality, your body is a bonus.
You can scrutinize your body all you like, but it won't change.

Learn to love yourself, before anyone else possibly can.
Reply 3
But I'll never be considered hot or attractive... I'm not naive I know guys would never want to be with someone like me. They want girls to at least have medium sized boobs, otherwise they say it's like sleeping with a child or a man. I've considered a boob job but I can't afford one. I just want to look feminine and in proportion :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
But I'll never be considered hot or attractive... I'm not naive I know guys would never want to be with someone like me. They want girls to at least have medium sized boobs, otherwise they say it's like sleeping with a child or a man. I've considered a boob job but I can't afford one. I just want to look feminine and in proportion :frown:

lol most girls' boobs are not all that. I think there was a website showing real boobs, none of them look like what you see in the media. Apparently 75% of women hate their boobs, so don't worry we're all in the same boat!

lol there is more to a woman than her breasts, they aren't the be all and end all. We typically aren't looking for perfection anyway. His dick is going to get hard unless there's something seriously offputting about what you look like naked. Small breasts are not repulsive to a man who enjoys large breasts, they're just not his ideal, but regardless, when you're in bed and he's hammering away he's not scrutinizing your body. All that's on his mind is 'ugh, ugh, ugh, warm wet vagina around my dick'. We're often (or even usually?) not the judgmental pricks you imagine, infact I'd say the people putting pressure on women to look a certain way are other women if anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6

Although the difference isn't drastic between most people, it is true that different people store fat in different places.

Sounds to me as though you have a thin upper body but a fat(ter) lower body, because you have a disproportionate amount of fat on your legs. This is making it seem as though you have smaller boobs than you actually do (relativity speaking).

There is actually quite a few "pear shaped" girls in your position - the fix is simple. Just diet until you lose the fat on your legs, your boob size will not increase but they will appear bigger because you'll be far more proportionate.
Reply 7
Original post by Omega3!
Although the difference isn't drastic between most people, it is true that different people store fat in different places.

Sounds to me as though you have a thin upper body but a fat(ter) lower body, because you have a disproportionate amount of fat on your legs. This is making it seem as though you have smaller boobs than you actually do (relativity speaking).

There is actually quite a few "pear shaped" girls in your position - the fix is simple. Just diet until you lose the fat on your legs, your boob size will not increase but they will appear bigger because you'll be far more proportionate.

I don't have fat legs, I have wide hips and a bit of a big bum, but my legs are muscular and not very fat. I think it's from doing a lot of dance and athletics when I was younger and even though I don't do it now I'm stuck with my figure how it is. If I diet I just loose what boobs I do have and look even worse.
Reply 8
I don't have fat legs, I have wide hips and a bit of a big bum, but my legs are muscular and not very fat. I think it's from doing a lot of dance and athletics when I was younger and even though I don't do it now I'm stuck with my figure how it is. If I diet I just loose what boobs I do have and look even worse.

No. your hips are wide(r) and your bum is big big(er) than your upper body because it has more fat on it. It's that easy.

Big "bone structure" and "more muscle" is honestly just media terms to justify unwanted body types. If you x-ray two people, one with a pear shaped body and one without - given they are the same height and race, their hip width (as in the actual bone) will most likely be very similar.

I'm not trying to insult you, or put you down, quite the opposite. You won't lose your boobs if you diet.

Besides, you don't like the way you look now anyways, what do you have to lose?

EDIT: Although I think that people should strive towards self improvement (not necessarily making themselves look better), you should try to be happy with what you have. I can't speak for others but when I see a girl I don't start analyzing her boob size in my head and then deem it good enough or not. I notice their best feature first (which may or may not be their boobs!), so get out of the mindset that all people are doing is a complex boob analysis on first contact.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Omega3!
No. your hips are wide(r) and your bum is big big(er) than your upper body because it has more fat on it. It's that easy.

Big "bone structure" and "more muscle" is honestly just media terms to justify unwanted body types. If you x-ray two people, one with a pear shaped body and one without - given they are the same height and race, their hip width (as in the actual bone) will most likely be very similar.

I'm not trying to insult you, or put you down, quite the opposite. You won't lose your boobs if you diet.

EDIT: Although I think that people should strive towards self improvement (not necessarily making themselves look better), you should try to be happy with what you have. I can't speak for others but when I see a girl I don't start analyzing her boob size in my head and then deem it good enough or not. I notice their best feature first (which may or may not be their boobs!), so get out of the mindset that all people are doing is a complex boob analysis on first contact.

No really.. I have wide set hip bones, I can feel them poking out the side and I can see my leg muscles. I used to have a BMI of 16 and still had wide hips and chunkier thighs. I can't really get skinnier than that! I was even more flat chested back then.
Reply 10
No really.. I have wide set hip bones, I can feel them poking out the side and I can see my leg muscles. I used to have a BMI of 16 and still had wide hips and chunkier thighs. I can't really get skinnier than that! I was even more flat chested back then.

Meh, you have kind of a defeatist attitude to be fair..

How old were you then and how old now?
I think you should lose body fat
If your boobs are like man boobs then I'm sorry but u have too much body fat
Lose weight and u will look better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omega3!

Big "bone structure" and "more muscle" is honestly just media terms to justify unwanted body types . If you x-ray two people, one with a pear shaped body and one without - given they are the same height and race, their hip width (as in the actual bone) will most likely be very similar.

Oh man, you wouldn't be saying that if you saw my quads. I assure you they are very real and prominent! Some women do have more muscle in some areas, and bone structure really is a thing. There's even tests that can be done to determine bone structure. It's not as easy as "lose weight and you'll get the body you want". If OP has a tendency to store fat on her lower half then dieting probably will cause her to lose weight off her top half instead... Making her boobs smaller. I'm also not particularly blessed in the boob department and in fact prefer to do the opposite of keeping my lower half curvy so as to not end up looking "like a boy" as lovely people like to point out!
Reply 13
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Oh man, you wouldn't be saying that if you saw my quads. I assure you they are very real and prominent! Some women do have more muscle in some areas, and bone structure really is a thing. There's even tests that can be done to determine bone structure. It's not as easy as "lose weight and you'll get the body you want". If OP has a tendency to store fat on her lower half then dieting probably will cause her to lose weight off her top half instead... Making her boobs smaller. I'm also not particularly blessed in the boob department and in fact prefer to do the opposite of keeping my lower half curvy so as to not end up looking "like a boy" as lovely people like to point out!

I've lost about 8kg in the past 3 months or so.

Before I lost any weight you could still significantly see my quads, after losing weight you can see my quads, they're just even more defined than they were before.

Being able to see features such as muscles definition does not mean that there isn't excess fat there. Larger than average muscle size does not = low fat (obviously).

Will she lose fat off her boobs? Maybe, but her legs and hips are bigger than her boobs, there will get to a point where more fat is coming off the legs and hips than the boobs and even if her boobs are smaller at the end, her proportions will be so much better that not only will her boobs look better, but she'll feel better about herself overall.

EDIT: of course people can have more muscle mass than others in certain areas, individual differences between most people of the same race are just vastly exaggerated. She said she hasn't done any excersize lately and the only form of exersize she did when younger wouldn't have built any excess significant muscle mass to make her look as disproportionate as she claims she is. Even if it did, it wouldn't exist any more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Omega3!
I've lost about 8kg in the past 3 months or so.

Before I lost any weight you could still significantly see my quads, after losing weight you can see my quads, they're just even more defined than they were before.

Being able to see features such as muscles definition does not mean that there isn't excess fat there. Larger than average muscle size does not = low fat (obviously).

Will she lose fat off her boobs? Maybe, but her legs and hips are bigger than her boobs, there will get to a point where more fat is coming off the legs and hips than the boobs and even if her boobs are smaller at the end, her proportions will be so much better that not only will her boobs look better, but she'll feel better about herself overall.

EDIT: of course people can have more muscle mass than others in certain areas, individual differences between most people of the same race are just vastly exaggerated. She said she hasn't done any excersize lately and the only form of exersize she did when younger wouldn't have built any excess significant muscle mass to make her look as disproportionate as she claims she is. Even if it did, it wouldn't exist any more.

My legs were skinny before I started lifting... When I had to stop for 6 weeks they went back to skinny. There's not much fat there (obviously there's a healthy amount, I'm not a skeleton) so their size is determined by muscle. Obviously my case isn't like op because I do weightlifting and she doesn't.

Still, it's possible to have muscly or even just larger legs genetically. I don't think you quite realise how fat is stored on women, she said even at a BMI of 16 (scarily underweight) she still felt disproportionate... What is she supposed to do? Starve to death? Body shape is determined genetically... That's why some skinny girls have massive boobs and some chubby girls have tiny boobs. So any weight she loses will just scale down her body, but it will be of the same proportions as her genetic makeup determines.
Don't worry they could still grow. How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
My legs were skinny before I started lifting... When I had to stop for 6 weeks they went back to skinny. There's not much fat there (obviously there's a healthy amount, I'm not a skeleton) so their size is determined by muscle. Obviously my case isn't like op because I do weightlifting and she doesn't.

Still, it's possible to have muscly or even just larger legs genetically. I don't think you quite realise how fat is stored on women, she said even at a BMI of 16 (scarily underweight) she still felt disproportionate... What is she supposed to do? Starve to death? Body shape is determined genetically... That's why some skinny girls have massive boobs and some chubby girls have tiny boobs. So any weight she loses will just scale down her body, but it will be of the same proportions as her genetic makeup determines.

Yeah, the BMI of 16 is ridiculous, which is why i asked her age to delve deeper into it, but when you're talking about losing weight and changing body composition, the advice you give is always with a healthy person in mind - a person with a BMI of 16 should be at the doctors instead of on TSR, you will never have a body composition that you like if you are sitting at an extreme value.

Body shape is partially determined genetically (as in where fat is predominantly stored, bone structure hardly effects it at all no matter what the TV might tell you). Doesn't matter though, fat can always be removed, initially the "scaling" might be the same but once a certain point passes the scaling changes (example: at first she might lose fat off her legs, hips and boobs at the same rate but because her legs and hips are so much bigger it cannot possibly go on like that forever).

People who blame their genetics (who do not have legitimately diagnosed health issues) are never going to achieve what they want in life (aesthetics or otherwise). Anyway, this is the last I will mention on the topic, I've given my advice - now it just feels as if I'm talking to the writer of a woman's magazine to be honest.
Original post by Omega3!
Yeah, the BMI of 16 is ridiculous, which is why i asked her age to delve deeper into it, but when you're talking about losing weight and changing body composition, the advice you give is always with a healthy person in mind - a person with a BMI of 16 should be at the doctors instead of on TSR, you will never have a body composition that you like if you are sitting at an extreme value.

Body shape is partially determined genetically (as in where fat is predominantly stored, bone structure hardly effects it at all no matter what the TV might tell you). Doesn't matter though, fat can always be removed, initially the "scaling" might be the same but once a certain point passes the scaling changes (example: at first she might lose fat off her legs, hips and boobs at the same rate but because her legs and hips are so much bigger it cannot possibly go on like that forever).

People who blame their genetics (who do not have legitimately diagnosed health issues) are never going to achieve what they want in life (aesthetics or otherwise). Anyway, this is the last I will mention on the topic, I've given my advice - now it just feels as if I'm talking to the writer of a woman's magazine to be honest.

Hmm 'a woman's magazine'... how patronising. Your advice thus far has been for her to lose weight. This seems a tad irresponsible seeing as it's clear that this hasn't worked in the past she she was unhealthily thin. You say that at first she will stay the same proportions but eventually her legs will become smaller? So that's basically suggesting she goes below a BMI of 16? Plus she has also said that she isn't carrying much extra fat on her lower half it's just that she has wide hips, and muscly legs. Which explains why dieting in the past hasn't worked. Sure someone who is overweight may have a similar problem in which case dieting might work, but that's a completely different scenario.

Not sure why you seem to think you're the absolute authority on women's bodies. They're a lot different than male bodies.
Original post by Omega3!
Meh, you have kind of a defeatist attitude to be fair..

How old were you then and how old now?

I was 18 when I was very skinny and now I'm 22. I am not defeatist but there's not much I can do about my boob size is there! If I got skinny enough to make my legs and hips thin (I don't think it would because I can see my hip bones now anyway) then I would literally have nothing left. I want to make them bigger. Not smaller.
Reply 19
Lol, I'm exactly the same. I am a 32A and I wear size 12/14 on the bottom but only size 10/12 on top, so at least you're bigger than someone. I have a BMI of 22 so I'm not massively fat but all my weight goes to my legs. It sucks but I bet most people don't even notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending