The Student Room Group

A message to all the tailgaters

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Emma:-)
My point exactly- if it was the same price- you wouldnt have one fitted.
As for me agreeing with the person who said- why on earth would you have one of them fitted- im personally not a fan- i hate the things. I know they are cheaper for some people, so i can see why people have them. But other than price wise- they are more trouble than they are worth.

You sound like the type of person that tailgates.:unimpressed::aetsch:
Original post by Walkaah

No, i dont tailgate.
But ive experienced the annoying people who do.
Original post by Emma:-)
My point exactly- if it was the same price- you wouldnt have one fitted.
As for me agreeing with the person who said- why on earth would you have one of them fitted- im personally not a fan- i hate the things. I know they are cheaper for some people, so i can see why people have them. But other than price wise- they are more trouble than they are worth.

It surprises me the amount of people who are against black boxes. I had one for a while and had absolutely no problems with it and it saved me thousands (literally). But so many people I spoke to about insurance said how much they hated the black box- most of which hadn't had one so couldn't speak from experience.
Reply 43
Original post by Walkaah
Have you been with ingenie for just 1 year or 2?

I am with Ingenie, and to be fair to them they are by far the cheapest, and the only downside is the black box (obviously). Do you regularly go over the speed limit and if so by how much? I wouldn't mind getting bad messages and possibly paying a bit more if that meant I could drive how I wanted to, however when I go to renew my quote it will be cheaper if I get better driving messages, i.e. drive how they want me to, and to drive what is deemed to be 'safe' by them. Do you see what I mean?

Absolutely. And to answer your question, I've been with them for one year. I've probably averaged out all of my different sections somewhere between an "Okay" and a "Needs Improvement"... apart from my speed, which is a bit better. This is probably because I do mainly city driving and do 30-35mph on normal roads and 43-48 on 40 roads, when... more suitable, of course.

Also, this is read off my TomTom, not my speedo, which can by law be out by up to 10%.

Hence, my local police only give out FPN's for speed when the limit is broken by 10%+2mph :smile: i.e 30mph speed limit = 30mph + 3mph + 2mph for a ticket
Original post by Walkaah

How? I don't think anything in her post implied that. Let me guess, I sound like the type of person who tailgates as well? I don't tailgate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't drive regularly and only ever use my mum's car. I enjoy driving just below the speed limit to annoy others.
Original post by ak_93
I had a black box and had to drive at the limit for a year :frown:
Get a GPS speedo app for your phone. You may find that when it says 30mph on your dashboard, its actually more like 26mph (as measured by your phone) , so u can speed up a bit - as the GPS that the black box uses is accurate, unlike some spedos which can be 10% under depending on factors such as tyre tread.

There is a discrpancy, but my driving instructor did say about someone who was taking their test in their own car, which had a digital heads-up reading, and an analogue on the dash. Now, seeing the digital one read under the limit he sped up, but of course, that took it past the limit on the analogue one....and needless to say, they failed him.

The discrepency arises because the GPS has to update, and that means it loses accuracy. The speedometer is wired directly to the gearbox and is reflective, and should be the only thing you go by. The technology is getting better, but with a bunch of fines on the line, it isn't worth it.
Reply 47
Original post by live_a_life
How? I don't think anything in her post implied that. Let me guess, I sound like the type of person who tailgates as well? I don't tailgate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh people take things so seriously these days...:afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending